Suitcase is packed!

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Haha. Well it's fun to play and fits in a suitcase in case I get the boot! :walk:

Attachments

• SuitcaseDrums2.jpg
    SuitcaseDrums2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 10
  • SuitcaseDrums1.jpg
    SuitcaseDrums1.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 12
  • SuitcaseDrums3.jpg
    SuitcaseDrums3.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 9

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
well done sir! I love iit. the case itself looks killer. is that a vintage snare drum case. details!

mike

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
mlayton said:
well done sir! I love iit. the case itself looks killer. is that a vintage snare drum case. details!

mike
Thanks. Definitely a conversation piece. The case is not a vintage drum case. It's deeper (helps to fit). I snagged it off flea bay (cheap). Had been watching for a while for the right one. I believe this one is a 1950's "skyway". Still has the badge. :)

I attached a hinge to the bottom with piece of wood as the hoop so the bass pedal can grab. Snare is an older ludwig that I acquired - and no I did not wrap in the funky checkerboard. I acquired it that way and just left it. Everything fits in the single case including 16" and 18" cymbals. It's fun to take and play when just having fun (throne is typically a cooler.....)

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
yeah, I see the liner now inside the suitcase..thats really a great setup. ive got two vintage cases that I picked up at a local thrift. just haven't gotten round to putting it all together yet. this may inspire me!

I really like the "hi hat" idea. whats the red thing on the stick? like a shaker sound or something?

mike

ObiWan

Hillbilly Drummist
Reaction score
There ya go...love it! We had a suitcase kit thread going a while back, there were some great ideas in there...

gryphon

?????!
Reaction score
That is a great looking kit! The old style cases really look good compared to the newer plastic ones. Like that checker board snare!

I just finished mine for jams with friends this summer. Will have to get some pics to post.

jim

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I love it, love it, love it! What a great job! That's my next project, dangit. I'm going to make a suitcase kit!

cruddyeye

Associate in Charge of Something
Reaction score
gryphon said:
That is a great looking kit! The old style cases really look good compared to the newer plastic ones. Like that checker board snare!

I just finished mine for jams with friends this summer. Will have to get some pics to post.

jim
I went plastic for the sound and haven't looked back...I do dig the whole vibe of the wood cases though. Mine at least traveled to Cairo at one time in it's history. I like the sock tambourine.

Z

zenstat

Snazzy traveling outfit.

Do I see anything sticking out at the bottom of the suitcase so you can attach the pedal to it?

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
zenstat said:
Snazzy traveling outfit.

Do I see anything sticking out at the bottom of the suitcase so you can attach the pedal to it?
Yup. I attached a hinge that can fold underneath, and added a piece of wood to the fold out part like a real bass hoop so the speed king can attach to it.

Ryneaux

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great kit, cleya! Loves me some suitcase rigs!

Here's mine:

Added a modified Ludwig canister throne a bit later and came up with this rig. Can fit everything in the suitcase and the canister throne and am ready to rock anywhere!

Cheers,
Ryan

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
mlayton said:
yeah, I see the liner now inside the suitcase..thats really a great setup. ive got two vintage cases that I picked up at a local thrift. just haven't gotten round to putting it all together yet. this may inspire me!

I really like the "hi hat" idea. whats the red thing on the stick? like a shaker sound or something?

mike
Yup - rhythm tech ball/shaker. I will say it's rough to use (heavy) and makes rolls very hard. Cool sounding and good for some songs. You can find cheaper but here's one:

http://www.samash.com/rhythm-tech-stickball-shaker-r2430xxxx?cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-Drums-_-Channeladvisor-_-Rhythm+Tech+Stickball+Shaker&utm_source=GSH&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Channeladvisor&CAWELAID=1594745915&catargetid=500002510000014029&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CN3jzJrmnb0CFUpnOgod4TwAyQ

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
rculberson said:
Great kit, cleya! Loves me some suitcase rigs!

Here's mine:

Added a modified Ludwig canister throne a bit later and came up with this rig. Can fit everything in the suitcase and the canister throne and am ready to rock anywhere!

Cheers,
Ryan
Cool man. What is that thin tom? I need one of those.

Ryneaux

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks, brotha!

That is a Remo TablaTone frame drum. Great sound and available in different sizes. The "snare" in my suitcase rig is a Stanton Moore pandeiro and the tom is the Remo TablaTone. I have the 12" version and have thought about adding the 10" version to the left side cymbal stand to mimic a regular kit even further.

Here's a quick and dirty soundfile to get an idea of how my rig sounds. Totally acoustic jam with the exception of bass guitar. Everything else, including vocals, are completely acoustic.

https://soundcloud.com/rculberson/rynos-rig-in-action

Cheers,
Ryan

cruddyeye

Associate in Charge of Something
Reaction score
Can't resist sharing my suitcase kit on a suitcase kit thread. On the beach at Bodega Bay, northern CA. Ranger shut me down after playing all day long...couldn't believe I brought a "trap" set to the beach.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:2748]

Drum Play

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
THAT IS ONE OF THE BEST IDEA'S I'VE EVER HEARD...SUPER CREATIVE... I WANT ONE!!

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Crud said:
Can't resist sharing my suitcase kit on a suitcase kit thread. On the beach at Bodega Bay, northern CA. Ranger shut me down after playing all day long...couldn't believe I brought a "trap" set to the beach.
Looks cool. When I click the picture though it says "you do not have permission to open". I'm logged in. Mods?

cleya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
rculberson said:
Thanks, brotha!

That is a Remo TablaTone frame drum. Great sound and available in different sizes. The "snare" in my suitcase rig is a Stanton Moore pandeiro and the tom is the Remo TablaTone. I have the 12" version and have thought about adding the 10" version to the left side cymbal stand to mimic a regular kit even further.

Here's a quick and dirty soundfile to get an idea of how my rig sounds. Totally acoustic jam with the exception of bass guitar. Everything else, including vocals, are completely acoustic.

https://soundcloud.com/rculberson/rynos-rig-in-action

Cheers,
Ryan
cool man. thanks for info and clip. gonna check that out!