Summer Vacation - Gulf Shores Alabama

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
So this summer's vacation is to Gulf Shores Alabama, driving from Texas so first night will be in New Orleans on way back stopping in Houston to go to Aquarium and/or NASA. Besides the beach anyone have some don't miss spots along the Gulf Coast? I know I want to go to the Air Museum in Pensacola one day. Went there about 25 years ago and loved it.

Reaction score
I was in a touring band that played a bar-club-whatever down there regularly for ten years called The Florabama. It was right on the state line of Florida and Alabama. At that time it had 8 stages that all had live music simultaneously (!!!) It was-is a great place. I don't know what it's like now (there have been many storms, and probably some big time real estate expansion, I'm sure!)

It's nothing to look at, (basically a bunch of interconnecting tents) but is a great hang, and place to hear some great live music. A pretty big Memphis musician once told me that the best gig in Memphis was down at the Florabama (ha!) A lot of New Orleans bands were playing there pretty regularly too. They bring some pretty big names through, and they have some GREAT musicians on staff (appearing regularly.)

The clientele is about as varied as it gets: servicemen from the nearby base, southerners, rich yuppies, bikers, tourists, wild kids going crazy from Mississippi.... All sitting side by side. It's an iconic place (or at least it was,) that draws a few thousand people and music lovers a night during the season.

The beaches all along the Gulf Coast are very nice, and there is always stuff to do. At the time (maybe still) it was called "The Redneck Riviera." I spent a lot of time down there, for several years we played every 6 weeks down there, and the band was from NJ. (!!!) Yup, it was that good, and so was the $$$$.

MSG

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah hoping for at least one night out just me and the wife to someplace with live music....hopefully will get out in New Orleans as well. Staying at a hotel with a bar that says it has live music so if nothing else we'll have that.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are Blue Angels practices on certain days near the Air Museum but you probably already know that. I didnt get to spend enough time at the museum due to cranky grand kids so I want to go back

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also Jimmy Buffets sister's place usually has some live music. Lulu's. Nice tourist trap by the water (not the ocean but the intercoastal). They have live music

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
There are Blue Angels practices on certain days near the Air Museum but you probably already know that. I didnt get to spend enough time at the museum due to cranky grand kids so I want to go back
Yeah need to find out their schedule if it's posted. Last time I was there was 1990 and my cousin was stationed there on board the USS Lexington, I got a complete tour of the ship. He was onboard when it was decomissioned a few years later. Now it resides in Corpus Christi Texas

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a native Texan and I have found the Florida Emerald Coast beaches are better than the Padre Island sand (and anywhere else in the USA).
We prefer to go to Fort Walton but I have also been to the Alabama beach -- almost as good.
FloriBama is a real dive but you can find some fun music there.
Enjoy the trip.

Latest posts