Sun guys have all the Luck...

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Howdy,

Well I hope this doesn't get any noses out of joint. While digging around on my computer I discovered a text file I had saved, of a DCI drum-forum discussion about SunLuck drums.

Although it was posted 20 years ago, it wasn't the first thread on SunLuck drums, but it has some funny stuff in it... and a few names from our drum forum past that are no longer with us.

I'll paste it in my next post.

Edited ... The forum will only allow a set character limit, so it is posted in a series of posts.

Last edited:

Lazmo

Reaction score
Drum Center Forum / General "DrumTalk" / Sunluck - the "Spinal Tap" of the industry Search | Register | Log In

Reply to this Discussion << previous discussion || next discussion >>

Discussion Topic: Sunluck - the "Spinal Tap" of the industry

RonnDunnet 04-05-2001 @ 9:09 AM

I was thinking - wouldn't it be funny to set up a web page that catalog the history of the Sunluck drum company? Just like Spinal Tap...a parody of all the crazy, insane, politcal, anal stuff that goes on in the Dr um ans percussion industry.

I may have to start a web page or site.

What do you guys think?Could you imagine? It would be absolutely hilarious if it was based on what really goes on.

Ronn Dunnett

Dunnett Classic Drums

lucas123 04-05-2001 @ 9:20 AM

Do it.

pweber 04-05-2001 @ 9:26 AM

If I remember correctly back in the '60's when I first started playing Sunluck drums were what Ringo Starr first played and the reason he switched to Ludwig was that Sunluck said oyster finishes were just a passing fad.

"Life is life. This is just a CD - Ringo Starr

Sincerely, Peter G. Weber, Jr.

Matrix 04-05-2001 @ 9:40 AM

And have all their endorsers met with horrible mysterious deaths,like exploding? "Sunluck is better than no luck at all!"

Matrix

Boomer2 04-05-2001 @ 11:08 AM

Sunluck - The only drums that go to 11

Boomer

drumpsycho 04-05-2001 @ 12:31 PM

I sold a 1958 SunLuck snare (pre-Ti) for $22.00 in a rummage sale. Last week I saw the same drum bring $650.00 on ebay.

Quit beating on the steering wheel and drive- Wife

Ron_G 04-05-2001 @ 12:50 PM

Drum,

I think the only reason it went for $650 was cause it had the original "RENO" drum heads still on it?

PhatD'sBoy 04-05-2001 @ 12:57 PM

I own an all-original WOODEN SunLuck (an extremly rare drum)in WMP. With the sudden rash of wooden dynasonics on ebay, I'm thinking now would be a good time to sell. Get it here for only $3000! Any takers?

Ron_G 04-05-2001 @ 1:03 PM

Hey Phat,

Are you sure it's a SunLuck? I thought they only came in Blue Sparkle or Red Sparkle? Though I only have the 71 model year catalog so maybe your drum is earlier than that.

corkyd 04-05-2001 @ 1:11 PM

yeah, Phat.. does yours have the good lugs (the ones that last 2-3 months).. and not the ugly ones, that just would NEVER crack!

Drumming keeps the heart on the beat!

This message was edited by corkyd on 4-5-01 @ 3:58 PM

GregR 04-05-2001 @ 1:13 PM

Why do you guys all feel that you have to go public with your Sunluck collections?!! Is this an EGO thing? Greg

Dug 04-05-2001 @ 1:36 PM

My first kit was a Sunluck 4-piece in the Burnished Phlegm finish. Like a tarnished-copper marine pearl, only chunkier. Sizes were 9x7, 11x11, 21x14. Snare was the classic 16x3 "baritone piccolo".

What I remember most is the smell when I first took the original Reno heads off. Like fine ripe carp. Mmmm.

Ron_G 04-05-2001 @ 1:40 PM

I don't personally have any SunLuck drums in my meager collection, but I do have a Prostar snare drum which was produced by the SunLuck company and sold under the Prostar name back in the 60's and 70's. That and a Zyldan cymbal are the only 2 items I have left from my first drum set.

Barry Wom "The Noisy One"

D Coluccio 04-05-2001 @ 1:45 PM

None of you can top my Sunluck 32" bass drum. It's signed by Buddy Rich. He was their first endorser back in 1948.

Regards,

Dan C.

"Friends don't let friends drill holes."

lucas123 04-05-2001 @ 1:50 PM

Are these the original genuine Chinese-made Sunlucks?

Or, are they the cheaper ones that came out after

Sunluck relocated all production to the U.S., where the Chinese-owned American workers squat on a dirt floor in front of a drill press for fifty cents a month?

chuckles 04-05-2001 @ 2:38 PM

I remember my first Sunlucks well. They were the trademark sparkle blue's but had faded nicely to that classic "burnt dung" colour. If I remember rightly, they were from their Moosejaw, Saskatchewan plant from their limited Canadian run days. They had the very desireable "hole punched through the top where the tom mount fell through" option. The snare throwoff was the classic "tomato tin" model with the stripped screws butt plate. The pre-pie RENO heads had the over hammered flakeing heads. Very cool. Also the single braced hardware with training wheels. It was stolen from the back of my black El Camino one night cause the windows were steamed up when I was at the drive inn...but that's another story.

Knowing how to listen to music is as great a talent as knowing how to make it.

GregR 04-05-2001 @ 2:43 PM

Those Moose Jaw Sunlucks are part of our heritage!! Forget Ayottes and Dunnetts, give me a Sunluck. And now they are all being bought up by you greedy American collectors who are putting them on your dusty basement shelves and not playing them out!! Come on fellow Canadian DCI forum members. Let's organize a ban against any more of these drums going to the USA. Greg

D Coluccio 04-05-2001 @ 2:45 PM

By the way, who of you remembers the Limited Edition 'No. 9' model of 1969 commemorating the Beatles? That was the SunLuck series that had 9 lugs on all drums: bass, all toms AND snare. The wrap was a reproduction of the Union Jack, except the colors were wrong.

Regards,

Dan C.

Lee 04-05-2001 @ 2:46 PM

I especially appreciated that the hardware would start to collapse as the gigs went into the second set. As I was just a young, budding sprite at the time, my arms would get tired and it was refreshing that the cymbal stands and hi hat stand would s-l-o-w-l-y start to creep down at about the same time. This stuff they make today is just to rigid!

Play for keeps!

genus5033 04-05-2001 @ 2:58 PM

Are any of the rest of you having a hard time finding the vintage fish oil used to polish out the Sunluck bearing ledges and drum interiors? Just a hint here, but, THIS is what keeps these drums smelling like new for years on end! It also keeps the pearls well lubricated and keeps the blue sparkle from turning into the classic "burnt dung" coloring we so often find here.

I ran across a bit of a find yesterday. I found a first run Sunluck prototype spun tin snare with drawn bakelite lugs and 8/12 tuning rods on it with drawn tin stick chopper hoops top and bottom and coiled fishline snare wires! hah! Just what do you think THIS baby's worth! Even better is it's signed by Hosan Sunluck himself in original chinese script right below where the bearing edge should be! Priceless?? Maybe!

Gene Miller

Lazmo

Reaction score
D Coluccio 04-05-2001 @ 3:13 PM

Gene,

Thats not a prototype!

That was a special edition made for Louie Bellson in a failed attempt to steal him away from Rogers.

You remember that picture of Louie behind a Rogers kit with about 6 bass drums? You know the one I mean? 24 22 20 18 16 14 were the sizes, I think.

Anyway, SunLuck responded by making a kit with six snare drums. That drum you have with 8 1/2 lugs was actually in the middle of a range that went from 10 lugs to 7 1/2 lugs.

What a find!!! I'm SO jealous.

Regards,

Dan C.

drumpsycho 04-05-2001 @ 3:36 PM

You know, in Hosan's native tongue, it's pronounced "Sunruck".

Can you turn those down!- Wife

Ron_G 04-05-2001 @ 3:37 PM

Gene,

Why is it that you guys are always finding the good stuff? Whether it's a wooden Dyna or a classic late 60's SunLuck spun tin "SonoTone" snare it always falls to the same guys. Well you know what they say (whoever they are), "Some guys have all the luck"

NDrums 04-05-2001 @ 3:52 PM

I remember that ad: "Sun guys have all the Luck". It was on the back of the '61 catalog showing Buddy, a Chinese drummer, and Gene. Only a few were printed like that. Then, when Buddy and Gene didn't sign on, they blanked them out and it changed to "Sun Gi have all the Luck".

corkyd 04-05-2001 @ 3:53 PM

RONNNNNNDDUNNNNEETTTT!!!! SEE WHAT YOU STARTED!!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yeah, I never did like those SunLuck drums.. that icky color painted inside made them look cheap! even if it didd keep the wood from flaking off, onto the snare head and making the snare sound like a rain stick..

chuckles 04-05-2001 @ 4:35 PM

LEE...you had the collapsing stand option. WOW. I wanted those but the dealer said he'd have to drop the price then and I told him I'd have none of that. The early SunLuck dealers had some shady selling practices. They would always list their products at below list price and I never did think that was right. If my money wasn't good enough, I didn't want Sunluck. Faded burnt dung finish or not, you had to always be on top of the game with them.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep the Moosejaw Sundungs (er Sunlucks) in Canada...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DrumDog 04-05-2001 @ 4:56 PM

But what I liked best about my moose dung Sunluck customs was the fourple flanged kinda chrome plated hoops. Yeah, you know, the ones with the little moat indention where you put the lighter fluid. Looked like Zeus throwin' fire off the mountain when you lit those puppies. Especially when the sticks would catch on fire. I'd light 'em off during the middle of our KISS tribute. I used to really stand out back then - you know, being the bald guy with no eyebrows in a hair band!

Krupa. Belson. Mann. Rich. Sunluck.

Sine qua non - There is no equal

Chayro 04-05-2001 @ 5:32 PM

Many of the world's top artists actually record using Sunluck drums, even those who endorse other brands. When Tony was with Miles, he used a Sunluck kit, but Miles insisted on the Gretsch logo bass drum head for reasons known only to Miles.

hal9000 04-05-2001 @ 6:06 PM

You guys are making me sad. I lost my Psychedelic Lime Green Strata Satin Moire five piece SunLuck's about 20 years ago in a bizarre gardening accident.

Ron_G 04-05-2001 @ 6:11 PM

Miles and Gretsch? Had to be payola man! Only way to explain it. After all didn't he wind up endorsing Selmor Brundie horns? Any everyone knows that SunLuck owned Selmor.

Lazmo 04-05-2001 @ 6:31 PM

Hey Lee and Chuckles,

Did any of you guys ever see any of their not true series of stands that was random one/third or two/thirds braced.

Lee as you say, if you timed it right, it could lead to a well earned break.

Regards Laz..

marker 04-05-2001 @ 6:41 PM

GOOD NEWS! I've heard a rumor that Sunluck will soon be available again from a website called Musicsoy.com. The prices are supposed to be incredible.

By the way, here's a tip. Never try to clean vintage Sunlucks with a damp rag. Always use a dry rag. A damp rag will take the sparkle finish off.

edsel95 04-05-2001 @ 6:59 PM

I was a SunLuck endorser back in 1965. I had the "Flags of All Communist Nations" set. You may remember it from the "Ready, Steady, Ready!" TV show. It ran as a summer replacement for "The Charles Bronson Comedy Hour" that year. We were the house band. Remember the "Cheddy Boyington Experience" and our hit single "Baby, Sugar, Sweetie-Pie-O, pts 1 and 2"?

My set was the popular JazzMartyr kit and came in 12,12,16,23 with 3x15 snare. The shells were made ouf of chemically treated fortune cookies and the hardware was imported from East Germany. The heads were Remo, I think. The whole thing was assembled in Tibet. Really nice stuff.

The CBE was in the middle of a 2 month engagement at the Happy Dragon Fun nite club in Kowloon. I was woo'ed by Mr. Yeung's AR guy, Mr Woo. He signed us up that night. He fixed us up with some "local talent" and some imported "party favors", too. We could not have asked for more gracious or generous hosts. I still have to take penicillin for this nasty rash and I have had a monkey on my back for over 35 years, thanks to Mr. Yeung and Mr. Woo.

I never met Mr. Yeung. Mr. Woo would always deliver his message to me on a small tape recorder. Mr. Yeung was such a nice man. He always had the greatest concern for my family. he told me he knew where they lived. He would also tell me to "sleep with one eye open." Whatever that meant. Come to think of it, I sleep with one eye open anyway, after a mishap during a GIG FROM HELL in Sasketoon.

They also fixed the rest of the boys up with real quality SunLuck gear. The 13 string guitar was a real b**ch to tune, but it sounded oh-so-cool. Kind of like Roger McGuinn meets Mothra. The bass guitars weighed only 3 pounds!!! And the amps had real tubes. From real tires.

After we got back to the States and after we went through all the money, I got a final taped message from Mr Yeung. He told me that Mr. Woo tragicaly committed suicide in the hull of a tramp steamer on a 45 day trip from Kowloon to Taiwan. I was shocked. Then I pawned my tape recorder for a little taste in Woo's honor.

I lost track of the rest of the boys in the CBE, but I see them now and again on COPS. But for the most part I don't even remember their names.

Ronn, thank you for letting me stumble down Memory Lane.

...and SunLuck to you, too.

edsel

Lee 04-05-2001 @ 8:09 PM

I have this almost overwhelming urge to "cut and paste" some of these onto "drumset.com" for kicks and grins...okay, I won't, but it is an interesting thought...Ronn has possibly gone over the edge and invented a collector's series without even breaking a sweat!

Play for keeps!

TRAPPERJOH 04-05-2001 @ 8:16 PM

Lazmo

Reaction score

Yes, but how many of you remember Sunluck's early 70's clear sets, the Crystal-Lites? Instead of using cheap plexiglass like Ludwig or Fibes, Sunluck used actual glass crystal. Boy, those drums had a real ring! Tough to transport though, which is why it's hard to find a complete, uncracked, unbroken set today.

edsel95 04-05-2001 @ 8:25 PM

Does anybody have the 1989 Sunluck catalog with the kid playing the "Democracy Now!" set in the parking lot of Tienemen Square in front of those tanks? Those shells were surprisingly sturdy.

Absolutely killer!!!

edsel

DeanS 04-05-2001 @ 9:41 PM

Hey Ronn!,

When you make up the website, don't forget to play up the "innovative" styrofoam shells!

Later!,

DeanS

JDA 04-05-2001 @ 9:46 PM

www.sunluck.com sunluck predecessor ebay item # 1422029713

This message was edited by JDA on 4-5-01 @ 9:51 PM

RonnDunnet 04-05-2001 @ 9:48 PM

LOL! I love it.

hal9000 - I think I will be getting you to do a run of Sunluck shirts. They'll be the hit of the Nashville NAMM show.

It's funny - all of the money Sunluck made on the Crystalites - they lost on the "Tini-lite" kits - remember? - the three shade transparent kits that all eventually melted because the tiny little bulbs got too hot and melted the glue? I think there is only one kit left intact - the owner never plugged it in - ever.

I remember William Lueng III mentioned that somewhere in an interview.

Ronn Dunnett

Dunnett Classic Drums

hal9000 04-05-2001 @ 10:29 PM

How's this,

"If you don't have SunLuck...you don't have no luck at all."

Maybe we could get Ronnie Pudding or Ross McLossness to do the ad campaign.

RonnDunnet 04-05-2001 @ 11:56 PM

Do you guys remember the big fiasco over the "rectangular" lug design? I think it was one of the big Japanese companies that was going after all the little guys - like SunLuck - like stomping out little upstarts in Tianennmen square?

I think they lost all of their legal challenges. I think it was the son of one of the owners of one of the big Japanese drum makers.

Thank God too - otherwise we would all have round lugs on our drums!

Ronn Dunnett

Dunnett Classic Drums

hemant 04-06-2001 @ 12:43 AM

Don't forget about Carmine Appice...along with every other brand of drums known to man, he was also a long time SunLuck endorser. A full 90 days which was about 60 days longer than he whored himself out to some of the other overseas drum companies. Too bad SunLuck's follow up endorsement with another big gun, Billy Cobham, nearly pushed them to the brink.......sad

Regards,

Hemant

Lazmo 04-06-2001 @ 1:25 AM

Hey HAL,

I'm keen to hear more about the bizarre gardening accident..

You'd think, if a kit could survive Tiananmen Square, it could survive almost anything...??

Regards Laz..

BRDrums 04-06-2001 @ 1:53 AM

Bernard Purdie played on all the Beatles records using the Sunluck drums.

Best Regards,

RonnDunnet 04-06-2001 @ 2:15 AM

Um...speaking of "Arminne"...I think you fellows should have a look at this:

Ronn Dunnett

Dunnett Classic Drums

edsel95 04-06-2001 @ 2:33 AM

A couple of other things come to mind during my brief, yet memorable, tour of duty with SunLuck...

I remember one night after a "Ready, Steady, Ready!" taping, we were sitting around with "The Cowsills" jamming to the new Mason Williams hit, when my foot got caught in the SunLuck "DoubleFast Bass Drum Hitter with Much Force (their nomencalture) and the bass drum beater ripped a big tear in my pant leg. Having ugly legs, I stopped the tune and told the guys that I had to fix my pants. The littlest Cowsill burst into tears. He had the "I'm a star" thing going for him at that time. The rest of the Cowsills had to calm him down while I took off in search of a network seamstress.

I found the seamstress, who repaired my pants, as best she could, and went back to the soundstage. Pandemonium was breaking out all around me. The Cowsills had set fire to the soundstage and were asking for money to put the fire out. Imagine that, ransom being demanded by the Cowsills. In walks Mr. Woo, who not only puts the fire out with his bare hands (and feet), he also wraps up the entire Cowsill family in cellophane and ships them off on a slow boat to China. And, all for me. Mr. Woo later told me he would have done it for anyone.

He hated the Cowsills. I never loved a man moreso than that night. Then Mr. Woo got on the phone and ordered me a brand spanking new SunLuck"Communist Jazz Dog" kit, 12,12,21 with matching 6x13.5 snare AND PLASTIC HEADS, in Blue Oyster Satin Flame-out and a half-kilo of "medicinal magic dust" which arrived almost simultaneously, to settle me down.

That guy was the best.

edsel

edsel95 04-06-2001 @ 2:47 AM

Ronn,

It's so funny that you brought up Carmine on the world-wide web. He STILL owes me fifty bucks. Also, if you look closely at that photo, you can see me waiting offstage holding Carmine's "rig" and his can of "Popiel Spray-on Rock Grimace."

If I had a nickel...

edsel

hal9000 04-06-2001 @ 4:25 AM

What's interesting about all of this SunLuck talk is that nobody has mentioned that they were the first to offer a "Timeless Timber" kit. I personally believe offering a limited edition kit from 22 year old aged driftwood found at the bottom of Lake Titicaca in South America was a bad move. It also did'nt help that the only color available was Guacamole Sunburst. Did anyone ever buy one of these things?

Laz,

I am still not at liberty to discuss the loss of my SunLuck's. But lets just say it involved a case of malt liquor, a couple sticks of dynamite and a pair of gardening shears. Oh yes, and some incontinent monkeys. Don't ask, I am trying to keep this in my past.

corkyd 04-06-2001 @ 7:38 AM

Ronn...you are baaaaaaddddd!

drumdad 04-06-2001 @ 9:02 AM

All of Sunluck's products make me drool. I cut the

cheese, I mean my teeth on Sunluck Infantile 500's

back in high school. The shells were a cross

between paper mache and a jiffy pop popcorn

container. Not durable, but unique. And unique

sounding as well. With the factory single ply

construction paper heads (I chose sky blue) each

tom had the resonance of a wet chicken dropped on

the kitchen floor.

The finish was dazzling: Sunluck's rare pooh pooh

sparkle. The list on these beauties was $1000

even, but somehow I managed to talk the salesman

down to $75. What a steal. I bet that guy is still

kicking himself.

Thanks for bringing back some great memories for

me. I only hope my new Ludwigs will sound and look

half as good as those Sunlucks.

Tom Schlueter

flippantminister

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Classic Sunluck. I still think about this from time to time. can't believe it's been 20 years...

Lazmo

Reaction score
TRAPPERJOH 04-06-2001 @ 10:23 AM

Does anybody remember the rare "North-by-Northwest" sets that Sunluck made in the late 70s? Played by Russ Kunkel on a Jackson Brown tour of lawyer's conferences in the Pacific northwest. They were made out of fiber (not fiberglass--it was more like compressed shredded wheat) and in a failed attempt to copy the original North drum designs, the tom and bass shells curved up but then *narrowed* to about a 2" diameter. The effect, unfortunately, was to focus the sound back on the drummer, creating an early approximation of the accoustic panel effect--virtually no volume to the audience, and lots of really bad ringing for the drummer. That's how Russ lost his hair, I hear...

Boomer2 04-06-2001 @ 10:34 AM

You guys are so damn lucky. Being from a poor family, my parents could never afford to buy me a set of authentic Sunluck drums. Instead, I had to settle for a set of Ben-Tones, which were Sunluck knock-offs manufactured between the years of 1965 and 1972. Although they looked identical to Sunlucks, they weren't built to as high a standard. The lugs (9, of course) were constructed of styrene instead of pot metal, and the shells were made of 3/8" cardboard rather than vertical plys of rare Phillipine Mahogany.

I did buy a Sunluck bass drum head to put on my kit to fake everybody out. It worked until I had to play an outdoor gig in the rain and my drums melted.

Now that I am a man of fairly substantial financial means, I may be in the market for a set of vintage Sunlucks. Of course, the wife says I must trade rather than spend 'new' money. I'll probably trade my double bass '64 Cleveland Rogers and my 2000 12-piece DW for a '65 Sunluck four-piecer (If I can find anyone willing to let them go).

Wish me luck in my search.

Boomer

chuckles 04-06-2001 @ 11:09 AM

Boomer2...I think we all share your desire to recapture those "glory days" of Sunluck. It's good to see this company coming back like this. I read on the Sunluck website message board that Mr. Yeung and Mr. Woo are planning on reintroducing some of their more vintage wrap styles at the upcoming Nashville NAMM show. I REALLY hope they bring back the "glued on macaroni spray painted silver" wrap, it was one of my favorites. I am also under the impression they MAY bring back their solid shell "ICE" drums, the ones carved from solid blocks of ice. This will be a good thing for the Moosejaw, Saskatchewan plant to get it back up and running again. If they reintroduce those rectangular lugs again, I will be sooo all over those Sunlucks again and wearing my T-Shirt with pride!!

After all, "If you don't have SunLuck...you don't have no luck at all."

GregR 04-06-2001 @ 11:28 AM

SUNLUCK ALERT!!! Well now we have gone and done it (or is that "dunnett). You give these drums this kind of publicity and the prices go up. One of the most collectible Sunluck snare drums has actually been listed on The Drummersweb. Check it out. Greg

GregR 04-06-2001 @ 11:30 AM

I don't know how many of you know this, but as a kid I toured Canada's great white north as "Traps the Drum Blunder". I was under contract to Sunluck, out of Moose Jaw. That's me in the 1966 catalog beside director of production Chow Mein Strauss. Part of my shtick was to have a bass drum that was bigger than me, to accentuate my small size. I played standing up. It was really quite an original presentation. Anyway, a few years back I did a reunion tour with Lawrence Welk, Guy Lombardo, Stompin' Tom Connors and Led Zeppelin. It was actually THE Led Zeppelin, although none of the original members were in that particular lineup. They did use an original roadie though. The same guy who has been trying to sell Jimmy Page's violin bow on ebay for the last decade. Well by now I am 6 feet tall, so I had to special order a 72" bass drum with 48 lugs per side. Man did that drum BOOM!! It got so bad Guy Lombardo's blue hair fan club had to retreat from their front row seats. So I had to muffle it with a futon. Well, after the tour that bass went in a garage sale. If we only knew back then how much these drums would be worth! A neighbour used it for several years in the backyard as a toddlers swimming pool. I was actually able to re aquire it a year ago, and here is my dilemma. All those years filled with water have put it out of round. I was under the impression that the fish oil used in the drums would have prevented this, but no. Any help out there? Greg

Boomer2 04-06-2001 @ 11:33 AM

Chuckles:

Do you have one of the original Sunluck T-shirts that was made out of the TYVEK paper? I had one, but it fell apart after repeated washings (3). I don't think the edible t-shirts ever caught on because they absorbed too much perspiration.

Boomer

skyrm 04-06-2001 @ 11:35 AM

Ronn, better get to work making this one, so he can sell it!!!

Steve Skyrm

(60's Rogers, 80's Gretsch, lots O' cymbals)

RonnDunnet 04-06-2001 @ 12:40 PM

I think what is more interesting than the history of the SunLuck product line is the history of the people who "ran" - and still "run" the company.

I was relayed some interesting stories last night and I have to tell you - they are hilarious. It makes me wonder how SunLuck survived.

Like Spinal Tap, people actually do blow up - but it's not the drummers who use the drums - it's the people and managers hired by SunLuck. Mr. Leung and Mr. Woo are reputed to be quite...um..."thrifty".

I was told about a Customer Service rep who received a call from Buddy Rich in New York. He was going to be on the Carson show or something big and needed a SunLuck logo head for the bass drum. Well, Mr. Woo agreed to send him one - provided Buddy pay for the shipping and the drum head. Imagine Buddy's surprise when he opened the box to find the logo had been drawn on with a felt marker by the customer service rep. By the way - the rep quit after shipping the head.

Ronn Dunnett

Dunnett Classic Drums

D Coluccio 04-06-2001 @ 1:01 PM

Ronn,

I have that head on the 32" bass drum I mentioned above. It is quite a unique version of the SunLuck logo, as you said. However, dna tesing on the logo itself shows that it was painted on with goats' blood, not a magic marker!

Regards,

Dan C.

edsel95 04-06-2001 @ 1:13 PM

Mr. Woo told me once over a round of Thorazine, that the ink they use on the drum head logos is really sweet and sour sauce. And if you write the name "Buddy Rich" in mandarin, it says "kite birdhouse stars of infinte wisdom toothache."

And as luck would have it, I just got an e-mail from Cheddy Boyington. He's doing fine, thank you. He's on the crew of "Survivor" as a Crocodile-bater. That Cheddy always seems to land on his feet. He's still getting residual checks from the CBE library. Apparently we're still very big in The Isle of Langerhans. I sold away all my rights to that stuff years ago for a Yugo and a handful of reds. The Yugo is gone too, but that's another story.

SunLuck uber alles.

edsel

skyrm 04-06-2001 @ 1:24 PM

Ronn,

I loved the Buddy Rich logo head story - where do you get that stuff?????

Steve Skyrm

(60's Rogers, 80's Gretsch, lots O' cymbals)

chuckles 04-06-2001 @ 1:36 PM

hal9000: If you can do a repro of that original Buddy Rich Sunluck logo in the goats blood font, I want 10...no make it 12 of em!! You know my mailing address!!!!

KellySmith 04-06-2001 @ 3:40 PM

Dear genus5033 (aka Gene Miller), you have been snookered… that Sunluck snare you have is a FAKE-REPRO! Or at a minimum a RECOVER:

I took a look at Harry Changany’s excellent book “Chinese Drums and The Great Taiwanese Companys Who Made Them”, and he writes that the two oldest drums found in China came from the Zia dynasty, the first dynasty of China, approximately 4,000 years ago. They were found near the Yellow River at a place called Taosi-Nowudont. These are considered the “true” timeless timber drums, having a lead on Drum Workshop’s claim for the Lake Inferior logs, by 3,400 years.

One of the drums is a meter high and made of a hollow tree trunk. In its day, it had a skin across the upper opening and was painted red, as drums of China often continue to be. According to ancient writings, human blood was rubbed into drums for magical purposes, but the coloring on this your drum came from another source, attributed to boutique drum designer Nu-nan.

The other drum from Taosi-Nowudont is made of clay. A pot used as a drum was quite common in ancient times. Edsel95 has the only one that I have seen, and he keeps it nice and shinny and clean with pipe-cleaners, paying special attention to the air-vent (which he says “clogs really fast”).

Close examination of your Sunluck snare drum indicates a much younger vintage, and that “Burnt Dung” finish is obviously a re-wrap (over the orginal and authentice RED lacquer). Regarding the “spun tin” shell. Hah! This was a poor attempt at a copy of the Tom Mills snare by one of the Rudrig brothers, when they attempted to rip off the design and marketed the product under the Dumluck name… Your confused by the names I guess… remember, it had the famous “Crowd” badge? Nah, only Charlie Costello and I go back THAT far! I have a fairly accurate list of serial numbers that cover the period of 3,800 BC to 1920 AD, if you would like to post them on your web-site.

Lazmo

Reaction score
Charlie also refutes the drawn bakelite lugs, and says that they look identical to the gear-shift knobs from and old Pontiac. Please note that Pontiac was forced to remove this design after a suit by a Mr. Rombardi because according to him; “They look kind’a round to me!”

So, I suggest you unload this drum on E-bay as soon as possible, for the best price that you can get… start the reserve at around $7.95… if nothing else, Edsel95 will bid on it.

Just trying to help you out!

Best Beats! Kelly Smith

DrumDog 04-06-2001 @ 7:06 PM

Gentlemen and drummers,

A drum is a drum is a drum, and we all know with proper tuning and even 1/2 of Richard Baxter's talent, you can't tell the difference between a top o' the line Sunluck and somebody else's really crappy drum. Where a true ARTISTE defines his sound is with his cymbals.

I think the pinnacle of cymbal development was reached when Sunluck introduced their own line of cymbals in the 60s. C'mon guys, I wanted a set just like Ringo's back then and I figure most of you did, too. It probably had something to do with their special alloy - recycled Budmeiser cans with iridium coating. They looked really cool, especially when the house lights were lowered and they'd glow in the dark! It's really a shame that the Chitzu Truck Factory where they were cast and hammered burnt down. But through perseverance,and an isane amount of cash, I've managed to acquire a set of the 17" hats, TWO 22" crashes and the pride of the Sunluck cymbal line - the 30" Sweat Ride. And do they look Great with my moose dung drums and my vintage collapsing stands. Now, all I have to do is learn to play the drums and I'm set!

Tanco 04-06-2001 @ 7:14 PM

Richard Baxter is the best drummer in the world.

He once told me he always uses his old graniteoneofakind Sunluck kit for recordings.

Bob rock was amazed at the sound and wanted to buy the kit.

But Richard just coulden't part with it.

The kit came with ten big tatoed chinese roadies.

"WILL ship internationally"

marker 04-06-2001 @ 7:25 PM

Hal 9000, I hate to correct you, but the drums your refer to are the "Ancient Mariner" series, which are made from driftwood. They are known for their striking "natural grey" and "shipworm" finishes. Sunluck, unhappily, were unable (remember this was the 1960's) to find a paper wrap that looked like wood, so no wood finish Sunlucks are out there, unless stripped by a Sunluck owner with no sense of bad taste.

marker 04-06-2001 @ 8:07 PM

And futhermore, the idea that Sunluck imports were treated with fish oil is false. The original Sunlucks were treated with fish oil, but shippers refused to handle items which smelled like old fish. So, all imported Sunluck drums were treated with peanut oil instead. If you actually have a set of Sunlucks treated with fish oil, you have a very valuable collectable kit. You can tell, if you have a two headed kit (all the single head ones are peanut oil) by sniffing the inside of the shell.

D Coluccio 04-06-2001 @ 10:06 PM

By the way, I just heard that Jim Petty at JP Creations down in Texas has all the original tooling for the 60's SunLuck hardware.

The Butt Plates are the first part he is going to reproduce. They're a very interesting design: you pull the snare string up through the crack in the middle and tie it off with a safety pin.

Regards,

Dan C.

chuckles 04-06-2001 @ 10:27 PM

I was just reading DrumDogs post about the "Ring of Zeus" hoops and it reminded me of another classic design introduced by our friends at Sunluck during the mid sixties I believe. Who remembers the "White Picket Fence Stave" concept they introduced. They originally came with the double flanged hoops but many drummers were replacing them with those same fourplay flanged kinda chrome plated moat hoops but rather than setting them on fire, would tuck peat moss in the grooves and plant poppys and mushrooms, in an attempt to circumvent state laws at the time. They were crazy times back then. I heard that the constant whitewashing of the staves did not make this a particularily desireable model and was one of the first lines to be cut going into the seventies....but I could be wrong too.

dynapro 04-06-2001 @ 10:48 PM

This really [makes me mad]. Sunluck snare drums are only worth $50,000... and back in my day, we were buying them for $25,000 or less in every pawn shop in town...

This message was edited by dynapro on 4-6-01 @ 11:07 PM

Boomer2 04-08-2001 @ 8:44 PM

Well, after two long days of internet searching, I finally found a collector willing to part with a set of '72' Bobby Partridge Sunlocks in the ever so cool Partridge Bus finish. However, I'm torn. This particular collector also has Ringo's Sullivan kit. He's got the Sunlocks and the Ludwigs priced the same. Now, Ringo is the guy that got me started playing, but Bobby's the one that really fueled the fire.

Guys, you are all my friends, and I need your advice. I will, in my lifetime, only to be able to purchase one kit of this magnitude. Help me decide. I just don't know what to do.

Boomer

genus5033 04-09-2001 @ 9:46 AM

Hey Kelly!!

Thanks for pointing that out to me! I put it up on ebay and got 3 BILLION yen for it! A new record for a Sunluck clone! Oh yeah, Edsel threw in his REAL Sunluck drum as part of the bargain! I now have close to 20 Sunluck sets WITH all original hardware and I'm contemplating opening up the Sunluck museum to show them off. Oh yeah, thanks for the complete dating list from the cro-magnon period to the present. I put it up on the website for reference and i'm sure it will help other Sunluck collectors date their drums.

Without Sunluck..I'd have no luck at all!

Gene Miller

JDA 04-09-2001 @ 3:09 PM

IMHO, I don't like ANY Sunluck drums. I don't know why you guys pay such exorbitant prices for them. Never liked there looks, there sound. Well you all can HAVE them. They ain't worth crap to me. signed, jda

chuckles 04-09-2001 @ 3:30 PM

IMHO.....it's not a matter of whether you like Sunluck drums or not. Just imagine how much different the world would be without them though. Think about it.

alanhudson 04-09-2001 @ 4:47 PM

Well after all the cheap shots you guys have made, you have all overlooked the biggy! Much the same as Rogers did in the 60s, Sunluck also had a lowkey British operation at this time.

Determined to go one better than the USA distribution channel, this clandestine operation gave us one of the most infamous and overlooked vintage drums ever to grace a stage.

In conjunction with the great Colin Phillips, Mr Woo and 'Col', as he likes to be known, designed, IMHO the most innovative and futuritic snare drum with the most imitated features ever seen that was available at that time.

Whilst touring with his prog/rock band, Exodus, dear old 'Col' with encouragement from Mr Woo came up with a snare drum featuring the flared foghorn shape with instantly tuneable varipitch head system, which was very helpful as drummers at the time had a habit of 'losing' their drum keys. This may or may not have been due to the recreational facilities often associated with this period, but nevertheless was a feature that 'Col' insisted on as he invariably had to ask his roadie (they were not known as techs in those days)for another key.

Lazmo

Reaction score
The drum also featured a dry hammered boxwood shell with hand carved scene picturing half clothed renaissance maidens bathing in mist clad forest lakepools.

At Col's insistence and because of his first love of Trad Jazz to which he pften returns these days, the drum featured a cool retro feature - the dual snares (84 strand snares for both the top and bottom heads - plus exclusive acoustic resonance chambers (diamond shaped airholes). There were 168 of these airholes in all for the prototype, but after long deliberation this was reduced to 167 for the first production models, as 'Col' did not want his drumming peers to think he had gone for a grandiose aesthetic gimmick.

Resonance was further enhanced by the fact that the drum was of such mass that it stood up on its own with no need for a stand but the sonic qualities were not sacrificed because the horn shape allowed an almost 360 degree sound spread from wherever the drum was placed, which was usually quite a way from the rest of the kit.

It was hailed by none other than Mr Woo himself as - 'the most ugly drum in the world' - but you will not and will never, ever hear a snare drum like it.

Unfortunately, there were only around ten of these made as the dimensions 14" x 59" made transportation a little difficult. It can be heard on Col's classic albums, The Slick of the Slope and Kindergarten Felony.

You may not be aware but it was this drum with its need for lighter fluid to be applied liberally and often to the boxwood shell to protect the carvings that spawned the vicious parody perpetrated by that ludicrous Spinal Tarp film where the drummers explode. The few drummers that got to enjoy one of these models are unfortunately no longer with us due to copious amounts of red hot ash from their, Jazz Woodbines I believe, faling onto the shell resulting in near spontaneous combustion.

This only enhanced the exclusivity and rarity of these drums. If any one is interested, I do have one for sale as I have two in my collection being a non-smoker.

The price for the drum is reasonable but shipping is not an option. I think it better you sell up and move over here to be with the instrument. God Bless.

ALan

UK

Let there be drums.............

PPS There was an ugly rumour that a recent business conglomerate were trying to sell the patents for the drum along with some never before published blue prints for none other than a titanium shell version. Is it no wonder that Mr God Dammit started these unsavoury and libelistic threads in the first place.

PPPS Please, please do not take the opportunity of any more cheap and below the belt jibes at this unknown facet of the Sunluck Corporation as it is well known that the British do not have a sense of humour. Thank you and goodnight.

DeanS 04-09-2001 @ 8:56 PM

ALAN HUDSON - Just curious about something.

You wouldn't have happened to have been featured every saturday morning on American television, sometime around the mid 1970's, doing crazy antics and singing ludicrous pop flavored songs with your two brothers, whilst driving around in an old Metro van...

...would you?

Later!,

DeanS

This message was edited by DeanS on 4-9-01 @ 10:43 PM

Boomer2 04-09-2001 @ 10:34 PM

Didn't SunLuck invent the 'SpurLuck' system, which Ludwig so effectively copied as the 'SpurLock' system?

Boomer

edsel95 04-09-2001 @ 10:55 PM

Alan Hudson,

I forgot all about that stuff.

Thanks for jogging my memory.

SunLuck uber alles.

edsel

alanhudson 04-10-2001 @ 3:01 AM

Well I thank you for not taking the Michael on my previous post. Seeing as you have all acted in a most reponsible manner, I feel I should let you into the most recent developments at SunLuck UK.

Due to much reverence of the famous SunLuck 60's brand, a well known UK drum industry figure, Barrie Vitro, has been working hard to further develop the last major innovation that was in hand at SunLuck UK in the 60's.

Even today if you are real lucky will you hear the old school 'drummers in the know' talk about this in hushed tones at the various Zildjian Days and Rhythm Festivals.

You have had FlatJacks, Remo Legero, Arbiter Flats, HipGig, Jungle Kits. You ain't seen nothing. Barrie has all but finalised what SunLuck wanted so desperately to do and that is - perfect the world's first Origami Drum Kit! This is what Tamahaearl have tried tod and failed.

No more transport hassles, just pure convenience unfold and play. What more could a serious drummer want.

Must go now - medicine time.

Alan

UK

Let there be (paper) drums.........

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, I remember the SunLuck craze.

But I think my favorite part of this thread is here:

The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh @JDA? :laughing9:
someday you'll be just like nah you won't :D
sunluck in retrospec hasn't held up well

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm no fan of Sunluck to be sure but... I was going to say this thread won't bring out the best of DFO, and that was even before it started with dragging up old postings by Ron Dunnet.