header.nohb.html

SUPER-Phonic

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
So I was going through some of my drum stuff, and happened upon an old Ludwig "Supraphonic" that my parents purchased for me at Drum Headquarters in Maplewood, MO about 25 years ago. Long story short, but I just now am noticing after being in storage for about 20 years, it is an old converted Super Sensitive into a Supra. As a kid I didn't pay as much attention as I do now about extra holes, serial numbers, etc. I just wanted to play and to play often and LOUD! I can attest to getting a bit older and more methodical and I definitely scrutinize my stuff more and more. I sure do miss the days of having one kit, one snare, and whatever cymbals I could get my hands on to play for hours at a time to the CD's and sometimes vinyl ;)

Flam Man

Reaction score
Hello there, I taught at DHQ and worked on the floor from 1994 until the store's closing in 2011. I'm not sure about your particular snare, but we'd see those occasionally and sometimes do the conversions for people. I hope you have warm memories of the store, as I miss it so much.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you didn't pose a question, I'll just make a statement.
Converted Super-to-Supra snare drums are often the best deal out there. I recently acquired a 1982 6.5" one for half the price of what a Supra would have cost me.
A few extra holes don't matter to me OR the sound I get from it.

Stretch

Reaction score
Ludwig did the same conversion in 1984 with their 75th Anniversary shells after the Chief canceled the production run.
They put a grommet in the big hole behind the strainer when they removed the SS mechanism and installed the P-85.
A true "Super-Phonic" drum.

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
Flam Man said:
Hello there, I taught at DHQ and worked on the floor from 1994 until the store's closing in 2011. I'm not sure about your particular snare, but we'd see those occasionally and sometimes do the conversions for people. I hope you have warm memories of the store, as I miss it so much.
I do remember picking this one out from the wall of snares, but I was more interested in the fact that I was going to own a Ludwig snare! Extra holes, didn't notice them until now, although I hadn't played this since my youth.

DHQ, was a dream, I was really upset when they closed the doors. It was a nice drive into Maplewood to go check out new stuff, and talk to the guys working there when I was a little guy. Still talk about DHQ with everyone that will listen.

And for what it's worth, I'd never give up this SUPER-Phonic for anything. Sounds great and looks great!