Super portable gigging setup

snipsnare

Reaction score
I am putting together a gigging setup that is super lightweight and portable. I'm currently working on making a mahogany nesting kit (7x10 12x14, 14x18) that will hopefully weigh around 25 pounds. This includes 6 ply THIN mahogany shells and fully aluminum hardware (except for hoops, which i'm looking for a somewhat affordable option). I am using Yamaha's fully aluminum Crosstown hardware that i have already been gigging with for 6 months and I LOVE them. 2 crash stands, a HH stand, and a snare stand come out to roughly 15 pounds. I am using a 1979 Paiste 18" 602 medium ride, 1974 Paiste sound creations Dark ride and Preserial 602 14" Hihats.
Because this will all be optimistically around 50 lbs, I was wondering if it would be efficient to put the kit and the hardware together in a road case. But, I worry it would be too heavy with a normal road case, so I was wondering if I could build an aluminum road case? I'm picturing something like a dolly with a square case big enough for my bass drum, and then a shallower detatchable top layer that is the same diameter to put hardware in. I can put my cymbal bag just on top of the case, otherwise I will wear it like a backpack.
So I have 2 questions for you folks:
Is there a reason I haven't heard of an aluminum road case before? would it be impractical?
What is a good lightweight drum throne? I love my porkpie but it is HEAVY. Bonus points if it has a back.

CAMDRUMS

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last I checked, the consensus seemed to be that the Yamaha DS550 is a light, durable, and affordable throne.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weight, portability, size are trade offs with functionality. Ive worked on this for years and settled on light hardware in a hardware bag. Covers for the drums but padded. Recently a Beato pro 1 that holds both toms. I use a hard shell snare case for protection and a cymbal bag (tough traveler). Everything basically lightweight. Then stack it on a rock and roller when i need wheels. I can go smaller with the drum sizes if i have to but most of the time i want standard bop sizes. The nesting idea saves space but is heavier. Trade offs.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah , I used to think a nesting kit was a great thing ….

Nothing beat my old Slingerland 4 piece kit for portability ..Lightweight drums that sounded great ….
One trip in with a cart !!!!

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've almost the same kit as you are building

Noonan Mahogany/Poplar (Nesting Kit) 10x8,14x12,18x14 - 1.6mm hoops on Toms
If you use an 18x16 Bass drum case, you can put the throne top in there.

BD/Cymbal/Snare case on 2 wheel cart (i also use a Bodhran so its on top)
Yamaha Crosstown Hardware set and barrier mat.
ONE TRIP LOAD IN :)

Cheers
Mick

Attachments

• Noonan1.jpg
    Noonan1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Noonan2.jpg
    Noonan2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Noonan3.png
    Noonan3.png
    521.7 KB · Views: 41

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is by far the best sounding most portable kit I have ever owned and I truly regret selling this to help finance a Yamaha PHX kit purchase . This Whitney Nesting Penguin 16 weighed under 35 lbs nested in the included Ahead padded bag . I used a Protection Racket rolling hardware bag and backpack style cymbal bag . One trip and in the door . For longer trips in the door I would put all this on my Rock N Roller cart.

These drums have thin 3 ply birch shells and just sound so fat .
3918A693-F893-4F72-8B83-8B70C1688AD7.jpeg

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I never play over a 2 hour gig .
I’m thinking of picking up a cheap lightweight throne ….