SUPER RARE Gretsch Snare, only one i ever seen (pls correct me if im wrong)

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
ok so i have this Unicorn of a snare drum, ive never seen one, especially in this era.

its a 4"x14" (prog jazz?) natural wood nitrocellulose double badge stagger lug, purchased directly from Gretsch through the archives auction

model #4176WM

super clean!

please tell me if you've seen one before. banking on it being a prototype that never went into production.
super cool!

thanks friends

Attachments

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
4176 WM
16 lug
WM - Maple (natural)
in a 97 Price list but actually seeing one or being in possession of one ? is two different things : )

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a 4x14 that I ordered new thru the Drumpad around 2003 or 2004. It's not the same though as it has the short Progressive Jazz lugs and was only available with a Nickleworks throw off. Burnt orange (of course) on the upper right. While readily available to order to anyone that wanted to at that time (and maybe still) I don't think I've run across another.

4x4x14bf.jpg

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought one these in exactly the same finish from Maxwells NYC in 2010. It's an amazing drum, loved mine and it punches well above its weight! It was the last of my Gretsch drums I sold, as I play Sonor now. I only knew of one other like it, which Explorer Percussion had back in the late 1990s. Such a great drum that I expect most Gretsch players would hang on to, rather than sell.

Reactions: JDA

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
My wife showed me one on FB a few days ago just like it for sale. That it?