header.nohb.html

Super Sensitive Turned Supraphonic….

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
Back in the day when there was a drum shop in St. Louis called Drum Headquarters, I was begging my parents to buy me a “Ringo” drum. It was the 90’s I had been playing for a while and since I was in formal lessons, my parents got me what I thought was a 70’s era Supra. Fast forward to my days of collecting and truly noticing the difference in drum sound and appearance, I noticed extra holes….I hate extra holes in drums, or so I thought I did. Turns out I was “Super” bummed that I had extra holes in what I thought was a true Supra. Now I just had a red-headed step child conversion. Now, I look back and think, this drum still sounds AMAZING!! Who cares about a couple extra holes? I don’t. Not anymore. I still have this drum and would never sell it for a couple reasons. It sounds so damn good and my parents bought it for me, it holds some special sentiment to me. It adds character and allowed me to tell a story of my coming of age in the drumming world. And I sure miss those guys at Drum Headquarters!

miguelondrums61

Reaction score
Back in the day when there was a drum shop in St. Louis called Drum Headquarters, I was begging my parents to buy me a “Ringo” drum. It was the 90’s I had been playing for a while and since I was in formal lessons, my parents got me what I thought was a 70’s era Supra. Fast forward to my days of collecting and truly noticing the difference in drum sound and appearance, I noticed extra holes….I hate extra holes in drums, or so I thought I did. Turns out I was “Super” bummed that I had extra holes in what I thought was a true Supra. Now I just had a red-headed step child conversion. Now, I look back and think, this drum still sounds AMAZING!! Who cares about a couple extra holes? I don’t. Not anymore. I still have this drum and would never sell it for a couple reasons. It sounds so damn good and my parents bought it for me, it holds some special sentiment to me. It adds character and allowed me to tell a story of my coming of age in the drumming world. And I sure miss those guys at Drum Headquarters!
If you have time I would love to see pictures of the holes. And the super sensitive… They were aluminum shells, right? Not the chrome over brass?

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
Yes, aluminum drums. Here’s some photos.

Attachments

• 129C001D-E666-48E3-8248-1CF01EC198BA.jpeg
    129C001D-E666-48E3-8248-1CF01EC198BA.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 36
  • FFD52715-4548-4A87-8C8E-DA333AD8DB4C.jpeg
    FFD52715-4548-4A87-8C8E-DA333AD8DB4C.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 35
  • CEA64FD2-E4AA-4EF9-9557-490ACB5E0F64.jpeg
    CEA64FD2-E4AA-4EF9-9557-490ACB5E0F64.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 35

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I converted a extra 5x14 1969 SS shell to a Supra. Took a few extra holes for the P85 throw and butt plate but it looks and works great.

I also have a 6.5x14 smooth bronze Supra with factory SS holes that is an early Monroe snare (84-85?). Apparently bronze SS's were not selling and when the factory moved from Chicago to N.C., they had these extra shells laying around. Somebody had the idea to drill them as Supra shells and put on P85/P33's and put grommets in the 2 large SS mechanism holes. It's one of my favorites!

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of Ludwig kits, however, I do have a soft spot for their snares. Give credit where it is due.

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
All things considered, I have almost zero pitting on this drum. However, some homemade engraving occurred with some numbers, probably the original owners doing to make sure his gear wasn’t stolen.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Cool... I'd rather have the supra than the SS vversion anyway. I had a Yamaha snare for a while that was an SS model that sounded really god, but the whole snare assmebly thing was fussy and diffuclt to keep sounding good. I sold it, but in retrospect, I kind of wish that I had kept it and coverted the thing to a regular, non-SS style snare. Even if it meant a few extra holes, I would have been OK with that...

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice drum, I f I could have convinced myself to redrill my ss black beauty to a p-85 I probably would have been much happier with it and still own it. The lack of different wire options for the SS kind of kills it for me