Supra help?!

Ukg2000

Reaction score
Hi can I ask for your advice on this supra. It supposed to be from the 70s but the hole in the shell for the olive badge has been re drilled at a higher position (about 1cm) so that the badge fits on the shell.

has the badge been retro fitted and suggest it’s not a legitimate 70s drum? You can just about see it in the pics.
Please see pictures attached.
With thanks
Gavin

Attachments

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the picture quality isn't good enough to see exactly what you are talking about with the relocation of the hole. the shadow doesn't help. If the hole was indeed moved up, I would suspect it was originally punched lower for a Chicago/Monroe large keystone badge, which would date the drum after 1984. The 3 different lug screws concern me as well, as it shows the drum was cobbled together with parts from a few drums and a hardware store. Not to mention the hole/grommet looks like it was done via a shotgun blast.

Last edited:

Ukg2000

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response! Ok the pictures it’s the dark area under where the grommet enters the drum. The other side of it is covered by the badge so it looks like a small dark area. It sounds like it suggests that the drum isn’t legitimate.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's much easier to fake a wood shelled drum than a metal shelled drum, and to me that looks like a Ludwig shell. Maybe at some point someone removed the lugs and badge - which is obviously not original - and sold them? For me it would depend on how it's being sold - is it being represented as being all original and priced that way? If it's being sold as a players drum, and that's what you're looking for, and it's priced that way, it should be okay.
What's the situation?

Drumdevil5000

Reaction score
A good way to determine if your Ludwig snare is not a 70s-early 80s era is if the throw off and the muffler are next to each other on the same side of the snare. The 70s era butt plate and throw off are on the same side which is opposite. Also the throw off should have 6 holes for string-type strainer attachment. And, the muffler will have a little “p” stamped in the top

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
Looks like the drum could have had one of the cool cutoff badges that appeared when ludwig first came out with the BO badges and some dummy thought they would get a better price but moving the hole so they could put on a later badge with serial numbers. Rookie move. You could have hit the jackpot though because some of the early BOs were still COB.

70's COB snares look pretty much identical to their ludalloy counterparts, no rolled flange, same lugs and weighs pretty close to that of a ludalloy. I believe the only difference is the presence of a B stamped into the shell right above the round muffler control.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
"The 70s era butt plate and throw off are on the same side which is opposite."

What? How can they be on the same side? Aren't they opposite on all snares? Sorry, just trying to visualize this.....