Supraphonic Questions

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all-
I've decided it's time to get a 5x14 Supraphonic. Does anyone have hardcore preferences for one era vs another? Also, approximately how much do I need to spend for a nice player's drum - around $300 perhaps? Thank you in advance!

JB

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming we are just talking about the basic chrome over aluminum Supra:

JB, you may get a lot of differing and passionate perspectives relating to hoop thickness, gaskets, and more.

In the 5x14, I’ve owned a 70s Blue/Olive badge and currently own a 1964 Keystone. I’ve played on backline, but not owned, the modern version.

For my tinnitus-ridden ears, I can’t tell too much of a difference between them sound wise. Obvious differences are the throw offs, mufflers, or lack thereof.

I’ll bow out now to those who have A/B’d them side by side with more of a connoisseurs ear. But I’ll stand by my opinion you’ll be happy with any vintage.

I took my time in finding my current drum and got it from a local seller off CL for $300 in very good shape with no chrome issues.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah they are all good barring the chrome flaking issues mostly prominent in the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s too. But a new Supra in chrome is nowhere near $300. They are over $500.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a 60's one - it will be ugly, but will drip of mojo and vintage goodness. You can easily find one sub-$300 and if lucky, sub $200.......
The B/O 70's ones are just as good. The new ones are okay but don't do it for me.

Also, they have had chrome plating issues for 50+ years - most of the older ones have "acne" and plating that chips. I have even had modern ones (2010's) starting the plating loss.........

70's for $270: https://reverb.com/item/38329542-1979-ludwig-supraphonic-14x5

But for $270, I'd JUMP on this one from the 60's, in pretty good shape (believe it or not!):

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
My favorites are the 70s era Blue-Olive badge. I have a COA and COB version.

But for $270, I'd JUMP on this one from the 60's, in pretty good shape (believe it or not!):
The shipping will kill you. I’m east coast just like this MGR location and they want $40 shipping.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you find a 60s one with lowered snare gates or what they are called, these might be COB hoops. I have one like it and tried those hoops on other drums, they make a difference, more colorful, open ring. I'm back to this drum with standard headsand wires, just love it.

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Buy a 60's one - it will be ugly, but will drip of mojo and vintage goodness. You can easily find one sub-$300 and if lucky, sub $200.......
The B/O 70's ones are just as good. The new ones are okay but don't do it for me.

Also, they have had chrome plating issues for 50+ years - most of the older ones have "acne" and plating that chips. I have even had modern ones (2010's) starting the plating loss.........

70's for $270: https://reverb.com/item/38329542-1979-ludwig-supraphonic-14x5

The “Corrosion Resistant Anti-Galvanic” sticker with the corrosion all around it on that 79’ drum it is pretty funny. Anyway, my understanding is that Ludwig started using zinc plating between the aluminum and chrome to prevent a galvanic reaction between the aluminum and chrome in the 90’s. Not sure what they were doing in 79’ but it didn’t work. Elvis probably knows.