Suprise What Snares You End Up With! - And MORE!

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing some basement clean up. Put all the snares in a pile. While many have run thru my hands over the years, sometimes you forget what you have until you get them all in one place. Seems like I have enough to cover most any requirement. Now if only venues will come back online.

Left to right - front row:
Roland - PD-120
Tama - 3"x13" wood piccolo
Thumper Drums - 6" Craviotto shell
Ahead - 6" Black Chrome Over Brass
Sonor - Teardrop 6 ply beech shell
Champagne- 6" wood

Rogers Middle Row:
Powertone - COB w/Koa veneer wrap band
Island Music Steel 4x14 w/12 lug shell piccolo
Keller Shell "Powertone" - 6" Koa veneer wrap
Dynasonic 5"
Dynasonic shell - Custom Black tube lug/rods/rims. With rail.

Chair of Honor:
Dynasonic - custom Rogers Wildwood shell

IMG_20200915_164039797.jpg

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I once ended up with a Dunnett Titanium snare. Loved it and got a great deal on it, but I felt uncomfortable bringing it out to gigs.

Ended up with a Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Steel and 15" Supralite instead.

Love them both.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
I used to own 20 snare drums done from many different manufacturers. Solid shells, segment shells, stave shells, 10,8, 6 ply maple, birch. Too much for me at this point. I have gone all the way down to just Ludwig bronze and alloy. I cover a huge amount of territory with Ludwig.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Your Sonor Drop is a D471 model and hard to tell from the badge which version, but that's the old made in western Germany strip but with the new in 1965 double lug replacing the staggered single lug model making it most likely a 65 the transition year when things show up with old and new parts.

Does it have reinforcement rings?

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
Wow, what do you mean by "uncovered"? So you're looking to get the winter tires out of the basement and suddenly disocver a wooden Dynasonic behind the pile of tires? :)

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, what do you mean by "uncovered"? So you're looking to get the winter tires out of the basement and suddenly disocver a wooden Dynasonic behind the pile of tires? :)
No on the tires..... Just didn't really realize how many were sitting around the basement until I tried to gather them in one place.

I had boxed up the Dyna for a sale that fell thru and just left it in the shipping box. Ended up under a pile of other drums and didn't attract my attention until I thought - "Where is the Red Dyna?"

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your Sonor Drop is a D471 model and hard to tell from the badge which version, but that's the old made in western Germany strip but with the new in 1965 double lug replacing the staggered single lug model making it most likely a 65 the transition year when things show up with old and new parts.

Does it have reinforcement rings?
Definitely the West Germany badge. Thanks for the info. 6 ply with no rerings.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kick in the butt...since moving in early September I've got the basement/drum room coming along (w/delays for sewage issues and a boiler issue). Putting all the snares together for a picture is a great idea...plus I want to locate all the snares together (including the two I was gigging with)....I am wondering where I put the 15" snare and one of the 10"ers...I don't recall seeing them.

getting everything together in one room again has been a great catalyst towards culling the herd/heard.