Surely I can't be the only one that can't stand "yellowed" WMP??

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like a crisp pristine large chip WMP ... all others need not apply.
When it's got the tobacco stain shades ... not a fan.
When it's got the urine runoff shades ... not a fan.
When it's clean but is the small chips ... really not a fan.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Evenly faded WMP is the classiest finish of all time imo. Uneven, splotchy, dull, is a candidate for re wrap. ..If its original and well cared for, there,s nothing nicer.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I like the vintage look. To me, crisp WMP is too bright...IMHO of course.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
WMP with a tad of yellow is perfect. Yes, evenly done. Yes, still pearly. Not too much, just like an off WMP.......here is a Standard snare I rewrapped using vintage MIJ WMP - it looks close to Ludwig but matches my '68 13/16/22 kit perfectly.
20190730_200055.jpg

WMP that's vintage and white scares me - was it taken out and played?

And some WMP is just "bad" - I have some player RK toms from the 40's and the pearl is long gone - just an unevenly yellowed mess!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I'm in the white is better camp. I like 60's Ludwig WMP best then probably the stuff they used in the late 70's/early 80's (though I know that stuff was prone to shrinkage and cracking). When I see it yellowed out, it reminds me of cigarette smoke which I am not a fan. In reality its nearly impossible to find drums that have zero fade (though I have seen some really white examples) so I am not completely against yellowed pearl. I like it to look even though so it's all one shade. I scored a really cool 1966 20,12,14 snare club date a few years back that was really dirty and it cleaned up really nice. Unfortunately some pieces like the 8x12 were REALLY yellow while the floor tom and snare were not too bad. The bass drum was somewhere between the other pieces. I ended up selling it but I do miss it.

IMG_0641.JPG

Skeet6

Reaction score
I am with TheMattJones on this. Never cared for it in any condition. (at all!)
Mike B

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
I like it in person, but I don't think it looks as good in photos. In person it still has that pearl shine but mellow and gives a Jazz vibe.
I am a bit biased.

Attachments

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I have a circa 1975 Slingerland Stage Band kit in white marine pearl wrap. I don't think it looks yellowed, but I'll leave that up to more discriminating eyes. I love the look and I guess all those decades sitting in basements away from the sun has done some good.

IMG_0095.jpeg

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WHen I started out, we ahd an ols "Star" drumkit at school. I thought that yellow-ish, beig Pearl was jsut a colour. never occured to me ti had been white originally.
It's nostalgic so ok on old kits, but I wouldn't pick it for a new kit. I 'm generally not a fan of wraps., except maybe for a heavy-gigging/touring kit.

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I prefer WMP that's white.

I have a 10-year-old Ludwig Classic Maple kit in WMP, which works very well with the big band I play in. From sun exposure, it's now YMP. I don't dislike the yellowed color enough to spend the money to rewrap the kit, but looking at pictures of the kit when it was new...

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I like a bit of yellowed. Mellow yellow! Bright white just looks clinical to me. Same with my Chucks and PF Flyers. I can't wait for the toe caps/banding to yellow a bit.

Blisco

Reaction score
This was on my short list. I really like it. Ultimately, I went with SBP for it's versatility with light on stage and the fact I've never owned a blue kit. This aged onyx was just too close to my Keystone in pewter glass.

Attachments

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Is there any other finish that doesn't stand the test of time like white marine pearl? I know some love it, but its a deal- breaker for me.
I'm with you, dude. It gets yellow like that...just looks funky.