Suspect Slingerland Kit

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure who’s seen this already, but it raised my eyebrow.

I have over 20 Krupa autographs and the signature on the cymbal looks nothing like any of mine. The “K” is close but nothing else.

The GK on the cymbal looks scratched in, not stamped.

Can’t see the seam on the bass drum. Might be telling.

Also, no mention at all of this being Krupa’s kit. Never seen a GK crest bud head in black AND red.

Looks to be silver and black Niles badges, so not 50’s. Mid to late 60’s likely. I’d like to see the serial numbers. If they’re over 9328, then couldn’t be his kit.

Why else would the price be so high? Any guesses on this one?

Anyone else find this listing odd?

This post is for educational purposes. Not slamming someone’s sale.
So don’t get offended.

jmetatual

Reaction score
Yes, an odd listing. IF the badges are indeed black/silver those drums are 1970.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Floor tom badge looks black / gold which would be consistent with that tom mount from around 1969.
Brooks Tegler could shed some light possibly.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The seller never mentions Gene Krupa anywhere in the description. The whole thing seems a bit odd. Very strange auction

jmetatual

Reaction score
The pictures are inadequate, I've contacted the seller for clarification of badges and serials.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The seller never mentions Gene Krupa anywhere in the description. The whole thing seems a bit odd. Very strange auction
I was going to mention that too. The set is clearly priced as if it had been used/owned by Krupa but no mention of that anywhere in the sale title or description. The only reason for that that I can think of would be being able to deny that you ever said it had belonged to Gene while hoping potential buyers read the implications within the photos and fill in the blanks in their own minds and are willing to pay accordingly.

The cymbal is pretty suspicious because they copied the font of the GK stamps but appear to have engraved or scratched in the initials when, on known GK cymbals, the initials were cleanly hammered in by Zildjian.

This ploy might have worked if he'd priced the set at a reasonable figure, just play stupid ("I never heard of a GK drummer, figured he played at the legion hall down the road") and maybe sell these for $1500-2000 rather than the $750 they are probably worth. But asking an amount that clearly puts it up there where an actual GK set might sell without mentioning Gene I'd say tips his hand or at minimum seems pretty fishy.

If they are authentic this is a pretty poor way to try to sell them.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
look what's right next to it under "Similar Sponsored Items"

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
look what's right next to it under "Similar Sponsored Items"

This was there too...quite a unique set-up.

rogers oddball.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
those cymbals or drums don't look like anything in the Maculley collection; altho that initialed cymbal...might be true; just a bog standard cymbal (anyway)

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I asked Brooks and he said it would be okay to post his reply here.

"An absurdly long story here, Rich. Has actually been going on long enough that I include the whole thing in my book! In short, the set is completely bogus but the front head is 'real'. The seller decided to perpetuate the lie instead of following my advice and separating the head from the set. He thinks he can get that kind of money..."
"Have only posted a few short comments when folks have asked. It is a source of irritation because I know who the original perp is (not the current seller. He's just the most recent "victim"!) who has been creating these fakes for four decades now and I have worked hard to shut down all his bogus junk for nearly as long. Between him a couple other liars, it's almost become an unpaid part-time job!"

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I asked Brooks and he said it would be okay to post his reply here.

"An absurdly long story here, Rich. Has actually been going on long enough that I include the whole thing in my book! In short, the set is completely bogus but the front head is 'real'. The seller decided to perpetuate the lie instead of following my advice and separating the head from the set. He thinks he can get that kind of money..."
"Have only posted a few short comments when folks have asked. It is a source of irritation because I know who the original perp is (not the current seller. He's just the most recent "victim"!) who has been creating these fakes for four decades now and I have worked hard to shut down all his bogus junk for nearly as long. Between him a couple other liars, it's almost become an unpaid part-time job!"
Rich, thanks for reaching out to Brooks. I appreciate his response.

I posted this as it didn’t seem right and I wanted to shed light on the fact that folks need to be careful out there, especially anyone who is new to the vintage drum world and this forum.

Play it safe folks.

jmetatual

Reaction score
FWIW, badges are black/brass with serials typically associated with '69. Snare ~'68.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
A real Krupa kit with provenance back to Gene recently sold at Heritage Auctions (Dallas, TX) in the $12K-$15K range.
The drums had plenty of wear and tear.....nothing mint.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the head is real then I'd think you'd be better off to sell it by itself. Packaging it together with drums that are highly questionable, at best, and then not even mentioning Gene doesn't seem like a particularly savvy marketing ploy. I don't know how much the head is worth by itself but I'd suspect decent money if there is good provenance for it.

Would it be worth anything near $7500 by itself?

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
If the head is real then I'd think you'd be better off to sell it by itself. Packaging it together with drums that are highly questionable, at best, and then not even mentioning Gene doesn't seem like a particularly savvy marketing ploy. I don't know how much the head is worth by itself but I'd suspect decent money if there is good provenance for it.

Would it be worth anything near $7500 by itself?
He was asking 10,000 in previous listing, description was all about being Gene Krupas kit, unlike the current listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2845506240...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

RBagg454

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure who’s seen this already, but it raised my eyebrow.

I have over 20 Krupa autographs and the signature on the cymbal looks nothing like any of mine. The “K” is close but nothing else.

The GK on the cymbal looks scratched in, not stamped.

Can’t see the seam on the bass drum. Might be telling.

Also, no mention at all of this being Krupa’s kit. Never seen a GK crest bud head in black AND red.

Looks to be silver and black Niles badges, so not 50’s. Mid to late 60’s likely. I’d like to see the serial numbers. If they’re over 9328, then couldn’t be his kit.

Why else would the price be so high? Any guesses on this one?

Anyone else find this listing odd?

This post is for educational purposes. Not slamming someone’s sale.
So don’t get offended.

I don't see any claims it was Krupa's set. Could be a fan or tribute set. The market will set the final sale price. Just my opinion for educational purposes. Not trying to offend....

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't see any claims it was Krupa's set. Could be a fan or tribute set. The market will set the final sale price. Just my opinion for educational purposes. Not trying to offend....
Ha! Passive aggressive much? Might wanna look again…did you see his previous listing? Claimed it was Krupa’s kit…just sayin