....... Sweet Rogers Score .....

Gizmo

Reaction score
Gang,
I typically don't share my occasional finds due to time, mediocrity etc. However, I can't stop admiring this kit! I got it from the original owner and it is 100% original down to the heads and bags - a real time capsule! The chrome and the wrap are super vivid and no cracked lugs....I am a Ludwig guy (would swap potentially) but this 20/12/14 Cleveland Rogers just emulates coolness. Thanks for letting me gloat....Mo

Attachments

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
That drum set is gloat worthy. I would put your new Rogers drums up against any Ludwigs of any vintage of comparable sizes. The Rogers would sound better......in my opinion.

Gizmo

Reaction score
I can tell these things want to sing by just tapping. The pix don't do them justice as they are virtually flawless. No fade rust etc. I am not worthy.....Just never had the Rogers bug but I get it.....

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.5 x 14 Holiday red glass glitter snare drum that would go great with this set. Any interest in selling this set? I also have a few Keystone badged 6.5 x 14 Supraphonics from the 60's, any interest in trades?

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How are the lugs on them? That is a pretty kit. Bet it sounds pretty too... Cleveland shells are the best constructed and sounding of them all! Now you have to hunt down the snare to get the optimal drool factor!

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
APelletier said:
How are the lugs on them? That is a pretty kit. Bet it sounds pretty too... Cleveland shells are the best constructed and sounding of them all! Now you have to hunt down the snare to get the optimal drool factor!
Total agreement. I suggest that you find a real matching snare drum---a wood shell snare. You'll be better served if you find a little bit newer snare drum with beavertail lugs.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Congrats on scoring those beauties. Not being a Rogers guy to begin with, you'll discover a number of things about this set that made believers out of so many of us Rogers owners. Many collectors will tell you that the shells on those make for the best sounding drums Rogers ever produced and I'm betting that you'll find the 20" bass drum to be the best sounding you've ever played. Note how the Swivomatic tom holder allows you to position the tom in the perfect position. And you're sure to appreciate how that disappearing cymbal holder that puts even the largest ride exactly where you want it without the worry of it coming down and damaging the kit. A lot of things to like about that outfit. Enjoy!

S

skinsman

I just love, love, love it when a great set gets back into good hands. What a score!

dilbertfan1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is the type of kit where the phrase 'museum piece' is aptly applied. The quandary for me would be: "do I play it and possibly lessen its value and risk cracking those B&B lugs, or do I hide it away somewhere so it stays pristine?"
My answer: swap out all the heads with new ones, keep the originals safe. Perhaps swap out the bass drum batter hoop to protect it. Only tension the heads when you are going to play it to lessen the risk of cracking lugs. Play and find out why people praise early Rogers kits-the word 'magical' almost captures the sound. It would be a kit that I'd proudly put up against any other for tonality.
Then, when at home in your drum room keep it original and display it as a centerpiece. Once again, little tension to protect those lugs.
I'm sure some here will disagree with me, but this way you can play it, and preserve it at the same time. My .02!

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
you may want to reinforce those lugs w the jb weld method [search for link]

then you can tension them without worrying about cracking them

has worked for me !

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Looks like there are four set screws in the Swivo-matic tom holder. Use only two, adjacent to each other for the proper hold. That pushes the ball (with band) against the housing. The other two holes are for lefties. Learned that from Dan. I love that set. Dan also points out the tension on the bass and toms is not near what it is on snares, so not so prone to cracking. Fabulous set! Ace

Gizmo

Reaction score
Thanks gang!,
Being a collector for a long time I have had many sets pass through but none this pristine hence the drool factor. The glitter and the plating are just vivid as all get out. I think ultimately I would trade towards Ludwig as I am more of a hitter but consider this kit saved and preserved for the time being and it does feel good to be the guardian. I just keep catching myself admiring it but don't want to risk any head or lug damage but may throw down some jazz chops to blow the dust off - wait there isn't any ! HA

I must say I did learn a trick or two e.g the JB weld and opposite swivo tension screws so I'm glad to have posted......

Again thanks for the shameless self indulgence....

Attachments

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
Nice , Im sure you will fall in love with them, Id rather those than any Ludwigs myself.