Sweetwater 12" Wuhan China deal. A review.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was seeing this deal advertised, https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WCHINA12Arm--wuhan-china-cymbal-12-inch-with-free-cymbal-arm

12" Wuhan China with a free cymbal arm clamp. $25. What did I have to lose?

This is possibly the worst cymbal I have ever heard. How can a 12" cymbal sound so much like a big gong? This thing could be played on the hour in a grandfather clock. It would be great as the "order up" gong at your local stir fry place. I guess I was hoping for a little trashy splash. Maybe I should drill holes in it.

Got a cool cymbal arm though.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put some tambourine jingles in it, or put an old splash inside when you mount it upside down. Ten Rivets. Drill 1" holes. Or whatever. Those cymbals don't really do much that's musically useful on their own. I have one and I find it more irritating than anything else, but at least mine doesn't sound like a gong. :D

Nubs

Reaction score
I have a Bosphorus 12" New Orleans China. By itself it sounds awful and very pangy. But when it's played with the kit, it sounds glorious. I suspect this one might be similar, or I could be totally wrong.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Bosphorus 12" New Orleans China. By itself it sounds awful and very pangy. But when it's played with the kit, it sounds glorious. I suspect this one might be similar, or I could be totally wrong.
Maybe with the kit and a seriously loud band to cover up the lower overtones. It's just so thick.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to have a 14" Wuhan that I liked a lot. I don't remember what I did with it, but don't have it any more.

Sell the cymbal for $20, and you have a $5 cymbal arm.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it muted? Treat it like a gong hit it w/ a mellet. I mean mullet I mean Mallet

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
O not that guy! : D
yeah you got the long dinner sustain Model.
That's pretty annoying. Play it right side Up.
hang it out front for a doorbell

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got 2 of those Wuhan's in two different sizes. I used them a couple times and the sound was so irritating that I threw them in a closet. I'm in agreement that they are pretty awful. They sound bad alone or accompanied. I do have a couple of Wuhan splashes though that I no longer use but those sound surprisingly good. Problem with Wuhan is that you've got to hand pick them and I think they make more bad ones than good ones. The good ones usually sound really good though. The Sabian SR2's are kind of the same that you've got to listen to them before buying. Those started their life as top of the line cymbals as opposed to Wuhan's. I've got a 19" SR2 China that sounds incredible but I bought that one hand picked. It sounds almost exactly like the 19" china that Neil Peart had on his setup.

Last edited:

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
I once was in a music store & saw the metal bins full of 12" & 14" Wuhan chinas. I literally went through 18 cymbals before I found a good one. By the way, I only found one 14" cymbal. None of the 12" cymbals sounded very good. But for 20 bucks, you can't really complain. It made me really like a small china so I bought a Zildjian K Mini China. What a great cymbal. Both are great cymbals.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
7 ideas:

1) Try placing it on a drum, either way crown up or down.
2) Hang some bells on it, or bottle caps anything that will turn it into a giant buzzing sound.
3) get another one and crash them together like marching cymbals.
4) hold the crown and rotate it in a circle on top of another cymbal, a drum, the floor, the wall etc.
5) bow it with a violin, cello or bass bow
6) turn it up side down and throw things into it (nuts, bolts,coins), lift it up and down or rotate it
7) hit it and dunk it in water

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 12" Wuhan china. I think I got it like 20 years ago at a Guitar Center opening for $12. Mine sounds like the guys in the first video. I agree 100% about the ear piercing high frequencies that I used to get out of the cymbal. After many year of beating on this piece of metal, those high frequiencies have mellowed a bit but it still cuts like a knife. Definitely a fast, effect style China sound.

If my China sounded like the second video I would flip it upside down and beat the hell out of the outer flange to get it a bit flatter. That should remove some of the gong sound and add more trash. Otherwise, throw a splash in it, or throw it on top of a cheap 14" b8 hi hat top and make an effect stack.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every Wuhan cymbal I have aquired was given away for free to friends. I could not get anyone to give me even $5 for them. I loathe them all.