Sweetwater 12" Wuhan China deal. A review.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Open the box outside, with gloves and a mask.

drumsforme

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I purchase a China Cymbal I always have to hear it first. Last Wuhan I bought was at Sam Ash and it was a 16"......The salesguy brought out 5 and I picked from the one or two that sounded real good. With Wuhan's-the consistency is all over the place, but if you find a good one, you got a gem....just ask the pros that use 'em !

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I got one of those years ago at Guitar Center. I think it was something like $10 back then or maybe it was $20 for that it plus a 12" splash (so they'd be about $10 each). I can't remember where it went because I never used it since it sounded so bad. Not long after that I picked up another 12" Wuhan splash to use as hi hats for really quiet gigs.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have this cymbal, I got it free with a purchase somewhere. I also have a 12” Zildjian Oriental China, I made a super trashy set of hi-hats out of them. Nothing I’d ever use in a song, but fun to mess around with at home.

Loud

Reaction score
I tamed the gong sound in my cymbals by freezing them for at least one hour and then immediately rinsing it under very warm water. Doing this twice made the strong “gong” sound more complex and not so noticeable. There is probably some risk but I think there is a slight shock to the cymbal that helped my cymbals sound better. I have a chest freezer so larger cymbals were no problem.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tamed the gong sound in my cymbals by freezing them for at least one hour and then immediately rinsing it under very warm water. Doing this twice made the strong “gong” sound more complex and not so noticeable. There is probably some risk but I think there is a slight shock to the cymbal that helped my cymbals sound better. I have a chest freezer so larger cymbals were no problem.
Interesting. I really don't have much to lose with this one.

Loud

Reaction score
Interesting. I really don't have much to lose with this one.
Go ahead and wash your cymbal clean tonight and put it on top of the frozen pizza boxes. Tomorrow morning you can take it out (hold it using a rag to protect your hand) , run the tap until the water is very warm and then quickly move the cymbal around under the stream, so the water gets all over it. Done in just a few seconds and then see what happens. Repeat.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've honestly thought of throwing mine away for years. It's even a good one. But it's also a bad shape to put into a cymbal case or anything else. And that "bell" makes it hard to use on a lot of cymbal stacker type things. So the damned thing just sits around-- too big and awkward to throw into a bag with percussion doo dads, too weird-shaped to put in a cymbal bag. It's just its own piece with no home and no case and I hate it.

Thanks for listening. I feel better.

Jawshoeuh

Reaction score
I got one of these years ago; think I bought 4 pairs of sticks at GC and got one for free, lol.

It really is a pretty horrible cymbal, but I did end up using it on at least a track or two where someone wanted a trashcan lid kind of thing and it worked great for that. :D

I didn't have much luck stacking it with anything else though 'cause the 'bell' is so damn tall it takes up the whole stand.

And it freaking rings for days.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I got a few of those when I was teaching high school marching band programs -- we needed something short + LOUD in the front ensemble to accent a few unison full-band hits.

The only time I used them for my own recording was during some effect overdubs -- holding the cymbal by the "knob" of the bell and smashing it horizontally onto a concrete floor with a mic about 3 feet away made an _incredible_ white noise blast. Used an 18" wuhan in the same way and got high-pitched and low-pitched white noise samples.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a lot of cymbals. I bought a wuhan with the cylindrical bell. I t was the best wuhan at the store. Got it home and incorporated it into the rig and quickly relegated it to the scrap pile. It hurt my ears. That's not music.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
My 18" Wuhan, which I ordered sight unseen from a mail order company around 20 years ago, is the best-sounding China I've ever played. I wish it weren't so big, but soundwise it brings it. I've still got it and probably won't ever get rid of it, though I never play it anymore.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a pattern here:
All the guys that say that they bought one years ago say that they sound great. The majority of those that say that they recently bought one say that they sound bad. I'm under the impression now that Wuhan has gone downhill as the years have passed. Now that I think about it, many pros used Wuhan China's years ago and eventually moved away from them. I know some still use some old ones though. On a side note, I saw some pictures posted online of some guy that went to the Wuhan cymbal factory and it looked like a pretty horrible place. I don't know if that has to do with the low quality output though.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a pattern here:
All the guys that say that they bought one years ago say that they sound great. The majority of those that say that they recently bought one say that they sound bad. I'm under the impression now that Wuhan has gone downhill as the years have passed. Now that I think about it, many pros used Wuhan China's years ago and eventually moved away from them. I know some still use some old ones though. On a side note, I saw some pictures posted online of some guy that went to the Wuhan cymbal factory and it looked like a pretty horrible place. I don't know if that has to do with the low quality output though.
One thing about them, whether they sound good or not, Is that they aren’t very durable. They all crack eventually. Unless of course you aren't using them! Lol.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing about them, whether they sound good or not, Is that they aren’t very durable. They all crack eventually. Unless of course you aren't using them! Lol.
I'll never find out if mine will ever crack since they'll be in the closet forever, LOL!