Sweetwater 12" Wuhan China deal. A review.

myeleanorbhc

Reaction score
Obviously we all have different tastes, but I received one when MF screwed up an order. I hated it until I heard it in a recording. Just reminded me that what my ears hear is very different than what translates through a microphone, and even more different when you mix in other microphones.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously we all have different tastes, but I received one when MF screwed up an order. I hated it until I heard it in a recording. Just reminded me that what my ears hear is very different than what translates through a microphone, and even more different when you mix in other microphones.
There is that. This thing could sound amazing with a loud band.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. There are no unmusical sounds. John Cage enlightened us 80 years ago to this idea. The sound cant change what it is. It is up to the musician to find the right use for it.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What I have found with China cymbals is that every one I have bought sounded better out front than from behind the kit. I liken it to the Sabian Leopard Ride that sounded somewhat clangy behind the kit, but on every recorded live gig, was the ride sound in my head. Weirdly enough, only one ride sounded like the one in my head from both behind and out front; haven’t had the same experience with China cymbals. I buy cheap, but not super cheap and tend to like the Swiss variety best (Paiste). Wuhans sound better out front than behind the kit, but the decay is way too long for me, and in that decay, I always hear frequencies that I don’t like.

But hey- you got a cymbal arm out of the deal. It always seems we need a cymbal arm, right?

mesazoo

Reaction score
I bought my 22" "Wuhan" china probably 35 years ago. It really wasn't branded like the current Wuhans. Some Chinese ink stamps I believe distributed by Universal Percussion, great cymbal. Nothing like the current batch.

myeleanorbhc

Reaction score
What I have found with China cymbals is that every one I have bought sounded better out front than from behind the kit. I liken it to the Sabian Leopard Ride that sounded somewhat clangy behind the kit, but on every recorded live gig, was the ride sound in my head. Weirdly enough, only one ride sounded like the one in my head from both behind and out front; haven’t had the same experience with China cymbals. I buy cheap, but not super cheap and tend to like the Swiss variety best (Paiste). Wuhans sound better out front than behind the kit, but the decay is way too long for me, and in that decay, I always hear frequencies that I don’t like.

But hey- you got a cymbal arm out of the deal. It always seems we need a cymbal arm, right?
Apologies for the tangent but I have to ask: what was the one ride that sounded like the one in your head both from the kit and out front?

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Apologies for the tangent but I have to ask: what was the one ride that sounded like the one in your head both from the kit and out front?
Paiste 2002 Priester Gigabell. Just for a raucous, nasty 80s hair metal bell, though I actually like riding the shoulder for a stick heavy sound with no wash. It isn’t quite a one-trick pony. My Zildjian Earth Ride is also in that realm, but obviously a different sound for a different occasion.

Mark Tirabassi

Reaction score
I thought of a million responses to all of these comments and I believe showing this link is the best response.....

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's my 19" Wuhan compared to my 18" Zildjian Oriental. Well actually I sold the Zildjian, but kept the Wuhan. To my ears it absolutely kills the Zildjian.
Wuhan itse probably around 15 yrs old.