Sweetwater Cymbal Damage, You Too?

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is that really damage from shipping? Looks like it's been ground on the pavement.
It was in a box pretty loose. A cymbal can hit solid ground through a box. That's my guess.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Speaking of Chicago... I haven't bought cymbals from them, but I bought my Tama Starclassic Maple shell pack from Vic's Drum Shop in Chicago. They shipped them for free. I was a little worried about shipping them. But when those boxes came in and I started unpacking them... they were so well packed and protected that I could have thrown those boxes out of a second story window onto concrete and I think those drums would have been fine!
I bought a set of heads from Vic's a few months ago. Excellent packaging!

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I have to agree with those who said it looks like it was dropped, and rolled on cement.
I've also noticed a good amount of Paiste cymbals on the shelves, being sold as brand new, have been damaged pretty bad. The damaged cymbals I've seen have mostly been bent though.
I'd hope a warehouse employee's didn't drop em, pack em up real good, and still sent it. Years ago, I put a cymbal down on cement, or it would have fallen. It rolled just a bit, and scuffed up the edges pretty good. Those actually look like they were dropped, and rolled.
I feel for ya man. Hopefully everything gets straightened out for you

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My replacement will be here in 2 days. They wouldn't take off enough for me to consider keeping as is. Hope the new one has the same mojo. They did a great job communicating the issue.

22" Crash of Doom in case you're wondering.

Maggot

Reaction score
OT shipping news. I just bought some snare wires from Amazon, and they came in a box that would have fit a medium-size telescope.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dust, if that's the condition of the cymbal you got, I'd be bashing SW! Totally unacceptable. I don't know how much of a discount they offered, but the point is they need to learn how to pack cymbals! You'd think they notice how mfgr's send them cymbals (presumably well packed!) and they'd adopt similar packaging techniques........sheesh! I bring it up with Nick D. ASAP......really???

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OT shipping news. I just bought some snare wires from Amazon, and they came in a box that would have fit a medium-size telescope.
Lol! I had a similar thing happen recently with Musicians Friend. I ordered a single par-can light stand (the cheap on-stage one) for my basement studio. It arrived double boxed, with the outside box big enough to fit a full size basketball goal into.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought an 18" cymbal from Sweetwater and was surprised they shipped in an 18" square box (with good packing on top and bottom). Cymbal arrived fine, but you'd think they'd know better.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, bought a hat from Amazon. Came in a box that took up one seat in my truck. I drive a super cab F150.
Oh and the hat was inside its own box when I opened the outer box.
Plus side, my first return to Amazon was 100% smooth. I did use a smaller box though.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Back in my Spizzachino buying days(long before Sweetwater was a thing) Luciano would wrap the outside edge in a used bicycle tyre, a peice of foam under and on top of the bell. Always arrived flawlessly from across the pond. Now those are some sweet memories.

Latest posts