Sweetwater Price Increase

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got this notice from my rep at Sweetwater, probably everyone who's bought stuff there is getting it:

Anyway, I and others have been suggesting this all along, prices are going up. Stock and production is down and demand hasn't dropped much and that equals higher prices.

And I suggested this in another thread, it's going to be or is now a sellers market. If you have surplus stuff (you guys with 20+ snares), now might be a good time to liquidate and cash in.

JMO
Sweetwater had to pay their fair share of the settlement costs with Egypt after the container ship got stuck on the Suez Canal. Sweetwater probably had a lot of gear on that ship!

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Isn't the title of this a bit misleading? This isn't Sweetwater raising prices. This is brands that are raising their prices and Sweetwater has to adjust their pricing accordingly. It's not like Sweetwater is doing this on their own. If anything this is a marketing push by Sweetwater to push people into buying things they may be in the fence about now under the pretense they will be saving money by buying now.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweetwater and all other music stores do not sell anything you have to have like food, water shelter, transportation, etc so if they go up don't buy it. If everybody did that the prices would come down fast.
I guess that's part of my point. Wait it out if you can, otherwise it's going to be expensive.

I'm not knocking Sweetwater, this was the email that I got from them but I expect this is happening or going to happen across the spectrum, beyond musical equipment.

See gas prices lately?

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For reference:

Not down in my town, I decided to pick some junk lumber out of a scrap heap to build a practice kick pad rather than buy it, it's almost double the price it was 6 months ago.

Maybe in a longer term trend, I haven't been paying attention to long term trends but over the last year it's off the charts along with many other things.

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
Not down in my town, I decided to pick some junk lumber out of a scrap heap to build a practice kick pad rather than buy it, it's almost double the price it was 6 months ago.

Maybe in a longer term trend, I haven't been paying attention to long term trends but over the last year it's off the charts along with many other things.
My brother paid something like $300 for a sheet of plywood recently. We could almost meld this into my Sabian price increase thread...

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother paid something like $300 for a sheet of plywood recently. We could almost meld this into my Sabian price increase thread...
That's brutal, way off the charts.

It's here, I just hope folks are making the right decisions right now. I'm not losing sleep over it but still, just be smart, all I'm going at.

And be patient.

Peace all

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Isn't the title of this a bit misleading? This isn't Sweetwater raising prices. This is brands that are raising their prices and Sweetwater has to adjust their pricing accordingly. It's not like Sweetwater is doing this on their own. If anything this is a marketing push by Sweetwater to push people into buying things they may be in the fence about now under the pretense they will be saving money by buying now.
You beat me to it!

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For reference:

"Last month, lumber prices finally started to show signs of reprieve. Lumber futures sank more than 40% in June alone, the largest drop on record for the commodity since the ’70s. Overall, the number is down more than 18% in 2021 and headed for the first negative first half since 2015.

Despite this, lumber is almost double the 30-year average."

Lumber Futures
Pay attention to these key words.

This is someone predicting the prices on lumber that is going to be cut in the woods IN THE FUTURE. Current retail prices are what is in stock at lumber yards and mills RIGHT NOW with the current limited available supply combined with the high demand for wood due to no slow down in construction during the pandemic.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it's time to buy :)
Glad I read this. I was just looking at Sweetwater last night. I'm on a possible Paiste binge now!
don't start at the bottom (lines) start with the top. You'll end sooner, blow the same amount
yet end up with something worthwhile for a while.

Last edited:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't start at the bottom (lines) start with the top. You'll end sooner, blow the same amount
yet end up with something worthwhile for a while.
Yeah, I have the same thought process. I'm looking at 2002's or Signatures. I just have to figure out which sound I like most out of those 2 lines.

David Peraldo

Reaction score
I pay attention to stuff like this, always have - for decades. The air bubble in every tube of toothpaste, the dimple in the bottom of the mayo jar.

I knew this was coming. A month or two ago I noticed my deodorant brand ran out very quickly and now it seemed smaller, so I switched brands after over 30 years of using this one.

This is now a total buyer-beware market for the foreseeable future, so buyer beware is all I'm suggesting, for anything you buy now, musical equipment or other:

Same thing with DSani water bottles. They’ve changed the bottle cap from the larger easy to open to the paper thin ones that are hard to turn plus spilling water all over you. Cookies are smaller, bread etc. But the price tag is the same.

dsteinschneider

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does lumber have to do with drum sticks? o_O