Sweetwater Price Increase

tararisin

Reaction score
Female drum shop worker here. Can confirm, the value of drums at my shop have dropped dramatically since i started working there.

Sidenote: most brands are implementing a second price increase this year which has generally been a 12-18 month practice in the 5 years I've been working. I'll go back to making babies now. Anyone need anything from the kitchen?

squidart

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Since Dr. Squirrel Dude, Esquire's thread has trainwrecked into all kinds territory, I'd like to take this opportunity to express my general displeasure with Sweetwater.

The ratio of Bit-O-Honey in my packages had drastically decreased over the past couple of years. As a matter of fact the last two have had ZERO BIT-O-HONEY! Is this another cost-cutting measure so the CEO can get their annual bazillion dollar bonus jacked up yet again? Is there a corporate shakeup going down a la Zildjian where a vulture capitalist fresh from Dow Chemical and The Gap is "streamlining" things?

Continue this trend at your peril, Sweetwater because life without Bit-O-Honey ain't so sweet and agitates an old man to no end.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Since Dr. Squirrel Dude, Esquire's thread has trainwrecked into all kinds territory, I'd like to take this opportunity to express my general displeasure with Sweetwater.

The ratio of Bit-O-Honey in my packages had drastically decreased over the past couple of years. As a matter of fact the last two have had ZERO BIT-O-HONEY! Is this another cost-cutting measure so the CEO can get their annual bazillion dollar bonus jacked up yet again? Is there a corporate shakeup going down a la Zildjian where a vulture capitalist fresh from Dow Chemical and The Gap is "streamlining" things?

Continue this trend at your peril, Sweetwater because life without Bit-O-Honey ain't so sweet and agitates an old man to no end.
I got 2 in my last order. But it was 97 degrees outside so they were gooey and I had to throw them in the fridge for a few hours. But, my wife got them before I went back. Such is life.

gdaileda

Reaction score
I just heard from Sweetwater yesterday - July 8 - that Ludwig cancelled my special order for a set of Classic Maples in Olive Sparkle because they've decided to discontinue that wrap. I placed the order in late May and called Sweetwater last week to find out an ETA. I was told then that the drums would be arriving by the end of July, just a few weeks away. I even found and bought a matching 18" floor tom on Reverb for a great price last week from the Ludwig Factory Outlet. (Luckily, Ludwig refunded my payment immediately, as I requested). So, the first piece of news I got on my birthday was that Ludwig would not fulfill the order. The discontinuation took effect immediately, apparently, with absolutely no notice. So why did Sweetwater tell me just last week that my order was nearly arriving soon?
I think Ludwig is making life miserable for its dealers. Yesterday, I had to decide on a new color to order and to make sure that it would be available. If you go to Ludwig's site, you can see how many colors (wraps mainly) they've decided to cut. Anyway, just a heads up about the current problems with production, supply, and transportation costs. (I chose the Heritage Green painted finish in case you were wondering).

*Note: I guess the Delmar wraps that Ludwig uses must be made in China? And that it would probably take another 6 months before Ludwig had a fresh supply of new stuff. They do use Delmar, don't they?

Masecar

Reaction score
One of the main complaints circulating around the drum shop (cough 2112percussion.com cough) is that a fair number of manufacturers are raising the prices, effective today.

And the price increase is effective on ALL gear that hasn't yet shipped. If you've placed an order, but it hasn't gotten itself into a box and onto a truck by yesterday, the bill is going to be higher.

Pearl, Zildjian, Sabian, among others.

I think that's a pretty outrageous thing to do. The least they could do is honor the pricing as listed when the order was placed.

Last edited:

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
they deleted my post because of no politics rule even though I was not talking politics I was talking exchange rates and the event that happened.
it was June 5th 2019 when the dollar went down and hasn't gotten up to the level before that date yet compared to the Swiss franc and Philippine peso.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
they deleted my post because of no politics rule even though I was not talking politics I was talking exchange rates and the event that happened.
it was June 5th 2019 when the dollar went down and hasn't gotten up to the level before that date yet compared to the Swiss franc and Philippine peso.
See now this is why I visit the drumforum every day. To get information on the strength of the dollar relative to the Philippine peso.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
You mean when you named politicians and political parties to blame for the value of the currency you weren’t talking politics? Oh, my mistake then. Thanks for leaving those remarks out this time around.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Female drum shop worker here. Can confirm, the value of drums at my shop have dropped dramatically since i started working there.

Sidenote: most brands are implementing a second price increase this year which has generally been a 12-18 month practice in the 5 years I've been working. I'll go back to making babies now. Anyone need anything from the kitchen?
This reply counts as my second "like".

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i
You mean when you named politicians and political parties to blame for the value of the currency you weren’t talking politics? Oh, my mistake then. Thanks for leaving those remarks out this time around.
really wasn't talking politics since I don't live in America, i only stated the event that caused the change in the exchange rates, not meaning to be political.
I really don't care what politics happen in the states because it doesn't effect me and I don't use the dollar.

Last edited:

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
when the dollar is down, it's good for the US exports, but it makes imports cost more.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
i
really wasn't talking politics since I don't live in America, i only stated the event that caused the change in the exchange rates, not meaning to be political.
I really don't care what politics happen in the states because it doesn't effect me and I don't use the dollar.
That’s all well and good, but it is political discussion and people who do live in the states will quickly engage. So we have to leave it out.

MarkB

Reaction score
I just got this notice from my rep at Sweetwater, probably everyone who's bought stuff there is getting it:

Anyway, I and others have been suggesting this all along, prices are going up. Stock and production is down and demand hasn't dropped much and that equals higher prices.

And I suggested this in another thread, it's going to be or is now a sellers market. If you have surplus stuff (you guys with 20+ snares), now might be a good time to liquidate and cash in.

JMO
I believe this is a BUYERS market. People selling on Craigslist, Reverb, Ebay, etc seem to be dropping prices. I stopped by a drum store in Portland, OR a couple of weeks ago and discussed with the owner. I believe things could be tight now for retailers. Since Interstate Music went under, it seems that Sweetwater is the place that can handle most orders. There is a lot of quality used gear out there and people who are struggling financially. Find those deals!

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe this is a BUYERS market. People selling on Craigslist, Reverb, Ebay, etc seem to be dropping prices. I stopped by a drum store in Portland, OR a couple of weeks ago and discussed with the owner. I believe things could be tight now for retailers. Since Interstate Music went under, it seems that Sweetwater is the place that can handle most orders. There is a lot of quality used gear out there and people who are struggling financially. Find those deals!
I could not disagree more, look around - prices are soaring everywhere and availability is scarce.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI - one cannot post anything about money, the economy, the stock market, or the "value" of anything here, lest the political people invade and ruin the thread.