Sweetwater Price Increase

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
FYI - one cannot post anything about money, the economy, the stock market, or the "value" of anything here, lest the political people invade and ruin the thread.
I think we are safe for the moment.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just heard from Sweetwater yesterday - July 8 - that Ludwig cancelled my special order for a set of Classic Maples in Olive Sparkle because they've decided to discontinue that wrap. I placed the order in late May and called Sweetwater last week to find out an ETA. I was told then that the drums would be arriving by the end of July, just a few weeks away. I even found and bought a matching 18" floor tom on Reverb for a great price last week from the Ludwig Factory Outlet. (Luckily, Ludwig refunded my payment immediately, as I requested). So, the first piece of news I got on my birthday was that Ludwig would not fulfill the order. The discontinuation took effect immediately, apparently, with absolutely no notice. So why did Sweetwater tell me just last week that my order was nearly arriving soon?
I think Ludwig is making life miserable for its dealers. Yesterday, I had to decide on a new color to order and to make sure that it would be available. If you go to Ludwig's site, you can see how many colors (wraps mainly) they've decided to cut. Anyway, just a heads up about the current problems with production, supply, and transportation costs. (I chose the Heritage Green painted finish in case you were wondering).

*Note: I guess the Delmar wraps that Ludwig uses must be made in China? And that it would probably take another 6 months before Ludwig had a fresh supply of new stuff. They do use Delmar, don't they?
Delmar was making product in Connecticut, is it now China?

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at Magazines, the frequency, size of page, paper quality… lower and lower and lower. Til one day… you got Modern Drummer! Gone.
The deterioration of magazine (and newspaper) content and quality isn't caused by inflation, it's caused by competition for advertising dollars from the Internet. That's not cyclic economics, it's a fundamental change in how commerce is done in the world. And those things are never going back to the way they were twenty years ago.

T_Weaves

Reaction score
I'm buying my "last kit" tomorrow. Thank gawd it's a pre owned beauty and a good deal too. Prices on new kits are, and have been, going up in the few months. Supply chains are a wreck. Tariffs are having an effect, especially on Chinese made kits. Look at the Saturn EVOs. You used to be able to get a nice 5 pc Saturn V for $1750. The Evo's MAP price is over $2600 now. Even domestic stuff seems to be rising. Ludwig Classic Maple kits are up about $150 since winter/spring.

chakosticks

Reaction score
After waaaaaaay too much research and video comparison watching, I bought a 19" Zildjian K China on June 26 from Sweetwater for $354.95, they're now $374.95 so I got in just before the buzzer. Glad my waffling didn't come back to bite me! Rare that I buy new cymbals, I simply have had great luck buying used, but this one is only my second China cymbal purchase, the first being a Zildjian 18" China Boy Low circa 1986.

kzac

Reaction score
I just heard from Sweetwater yesterday - July 8 - that Ludwig cancelled my special order for a set of Classic Maples in Olive Sparkle because they've decided to discontinue that wrap. I placed the order in late May and called Sweetwater last week to find out an ETA. I was told then that the drums would be arriving by the end of July, just a few weeks away. I even found and bought a matching 18" floor tom on Reverb for a great price last week from the Ludwig Factory Outlet. (Luckily, Ludwig refunded my payment immediately, as I requested). So, the first piece of news I got on my birthday was that Ludwig would not fulfill the order. The discontinuation took effect immediately, apparently, with absolutely no notice. So why did Sweetwater tell me just last week that my order was nearly arriving soon?
I think Ludwig is making life miserable for its dealers. Yesterday, I had to decide on a new color to order and to make sure that it would be available. If you go to Ludwig's site, you can see how many colors (wraps mainly) they've decided to cut. Anyway, just a heads up about the current problems with production, supply, and transportation costs. (I chose the Heritage Green painted finish in case you were wondering).

*Note: I guess the Delmar wraps that Ludwig uses must be made in China? And that it would probably take another 6 months before Ludwig had a fresh supply of new stuff. They do use Delmar, don't they?
My guess is you are the receiver of bad news due the the rapid rise in plastics prices. The cost of plastics has increased 15-20 percent and that is most likely why Ludwig discontinued the drum wrap you had selected. Ludwig and other drum manufactures have been experiencing some very wild swings in the cost of commodities over the past few months. the worst has been wood. which resulted in an increase of 6.5 times what it had been historically. Add to that an increase in plastics, and you can understand how the variance related to material costs, starts to affect pricing.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to comment,
I just bought my new cymbals from Sweetwater a few days ago. I didn't buy anything that had any price increase! Matter of fact, they practically bent over backwards with the discount that they gave me. I'm assuming that I purchased before any increases are to be implemented. Either way, increase or not, Sweetwater generally has good discounts when you call your sales engineer. I hope that practice continues!

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just to comment,
I just bought my new cymbals from Sweetwater a few days ago. I didn't buy anything that had any price increase! Matter of fact, they practically bent over backwards with the discount that they gave me. I'm assuming that I purchased before any increases are to be implemented. Either way, increase or not, Sweetwater generally has good discounts when you call your sales engineer. I hope that practice continues!
I've had the same experience. Generally I'd email my rep and ask what they can do. On most they gave me a fair discount from their list price which is pretty competitive to begin with. On on or two things they said they couldn't, one being an item on back order.

I would think it would continue but in the short run during this wonky period I have to wonder.

chakosticks

Reaction score
Just to comment,
Interesting, I tried to get a deal out of my guy when I was doing a big purchase a while back and he basically blew me off and said that everything is already discounted. I still buy there out of convenience but it's never my first choice anymore.