Switching from Chain Drive pedals...

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The action on the Dyna-sync is really something special. I'd highly recommend it and that's coming from someone who plays mostly chain pedals.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I vividly recall watching Virgil Donati's exhibition of some very impressive footwork, single and double, and he was doing it with DW 5000 single chain pedals. If you've played those you know they have a lot of horizontal slop in the chain. Didn't affect his precision one bit.

phdamage

Reaction score
i switched to (mostly) direct drive probably five years ago. definitely takes some getting used to but playing fast is a bit easier with the direct drive - at least i think so. i still have some chain drive pedals - dw 5000 and old camco pedals i'm pretty fond of. but if i need to play a lot of double bass, i'm using my demon drives

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I'll begin my 20th year of drumming this year in November and I've only ever owned chain driven bass drum pedals... And all singles, too, come to think of it.

I'm wondering if any of you have ever made the switch from playing only chain to something else? If you have, what did you notice about your playing afterward? Did anything change? Like feel or speed?
What made you switch?

I'm puting together a practice set at my place and want to try something new when I buy the pedal.

Thanks.
I had a Ghost way back when. IIRC, it had two metal links that connected the beater to the footboard. Never could get decent tension with that pedal. Too loosey goosey for me. I traded it.
Before that I had a CB-700 that used a metal strap to connect the beater to the footboard.
Ever heard a Speedking referred to as a "SqueakKing"? That CB put all those pedals to shame!
It squeaked so loud, the bass player complained it threw his timing off, so I finally dumped it.
My first kit used a copy of an old Tama bass drum pedal. A "Speed" pedal.
Used a piece of leather strap to connect the beater to the footboard.
That one actually worked very well, but the pins that held the leather in place were very thin (like a sewing needle) and after a while, I feared I would not be able to replace the strap, if it should ever break.
Eventually, I sold that kit and the pedal went with it.
All of this, plus maybe a couple more that escapes memory right at the moment, lead me to a Camco by Tama chain drive.
One of the smoothest and quietest pedals I've ever seen.
That was 1987 and I've never found a reason to get rid of it.
Good luck with your new acquisition, though DB.
Change is never bad.
If it helps, the chain-and-gear concept was conceptualized as a more positive bass drum pedal drive, compared to the STRAP driven pedals of the time.
...so maybe you'll like a strap?
Anyway, good luck.

Elvis

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sure. I never gave much thought to chasing pedals to improve my playing. Whatever the linkage is, chain, direct, whatever. I can't think of a better example of it's the player and not the gear than whatever it is that sits between the pedalboard and the rod between the bearings that holds the cam that holds the beater. If you want better feet, work with your feet, not your wallet.
I'd agree, but we all have different feet. Plus, the strap won't ruin your shoes like a chain. That was another thing that got me liking straps that I remembered.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Like other hardware, I've found that overall weight makes a big difference in how much I like the feel of play. I've played several different direct and chain drive pedals, but I don't feel like the drive type affects my enjoyment as much as other factors. I like single-chain or direct drive about equally, all things considered.

My favorite pedal ever was a Tama King Beat from the 80's. It was a direct drive, big yet light, folded, and had a lever clamp on the side. Smooth and fast. I had two and never should have sold them, but they were becoming old-fashioned as the big plate double chain pedals gained popularity. After going through the heavy double chain pedals for the past decades I've found another one I love, and that's the Tama Classic which is a single chain light pedal with no plate. It's design harkens back to a similar-looking Tama pedal of the past, the little brother of the King Beat I loved so long ago.

As for a double pedal (haven't needed one for years), if I ever need to replace my Iron Cobra then I might have to try the Dyna-Sync that some of you seem to love so much. I might have to take out a second mortgage to pay for it though.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Direct drive are more sensitive, efficient, minimal wasted energy in the chain or strap flopping around, cleaner/easier to service. The power goes where you want it in the manner you want it. Clean, lubricate, and adjust to your exact needs. I've probably played most of the ones mentioned, but I have used Speed Kings since 1965. Pedals are like dogs, steaks, college teams-pick the one(s) you like, stick with them.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Direct drive are more sensitive, efficient, minimal wasted energy in the chain or strap flopping around, cleaner/easier to service. The power goes where you want it in the manner you want it. Clean, lubricate, and adjust to your exact needs. I've probably played most of the ones mentioned, but I have used Speed Kings since 1965. Pedals are like dogs, steaks, college teams-pick the one(s) you like, stick with them.
I see what you're saying and appreciate the thought. I think I might get a direct drive, next.

However, I don't think steaks fall into that category. I would be missing out on so many good pieces of meat if I chose just one steak... :)

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe a 5000 w/ a strap? So, at some point DW switched the cam on 5000's? What should I be looking for if I wanted to get one of those with that cam you mention?
[/QUOTE]

I get the whole strap thing...I've used a strap drive pedal for years. I don't know your foot technique but nothing plays like a strap when you go heel down and let the beater rebound. A chain will slow it down and with direct drives you really have to lift your foot a bit to get a rebound. Chains and DDs also need a little extra tension to get the beater back along with the added weight of the mechanism. You can't get very loosey goosey with them.

Although I use Gen#2 Swivomatics, the only other pedal that I have really liked are the old DW 5000 series strap drives from the 70's. You can set them loose and the are still fast with plenty of rebound. DW made a load of them, so I'm sure you can find one in good playing condition.

Someone here mentioned the inexpensive Gibraltar and it's not a bad strap pedal at all, but it just doesn't seem to have quite the same cam action as those old DW 5000s.

Another thing is getting straps...no problem. Just go to you local pet store and pick out a nice limp flat 3/4" dog leash. You can cut and punch it with a hot tool and make 8 to 10 custom straps. You can experiment with the length and hole positions to set the footboard right where you like it.

That's my take on straps...for what it's worth.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I see what you're saying and appreciate the thought. I think I might get a direct drive, next.

However, I don't think steaks fall into that category. I would be missing out on so many good pieces of meat if I chose just one steak... :)
"Pedals are like dogS, steakS, college teamS-pick the one(S)
you like, stick with THEM." "S" & "THEM" indicate plurals, not specifics.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I play rock music. I used double chain pedals for 25 years. First DW5000s, then Speed Cobras. When I wanted to switch to a single pedal, I got a Yamaha Flying Dragon and I love it! The direct drive is smooth, fast and has plenty of power.
I used a Flying Dragon form the late 80’s untillit broke in the mid 2000’s. Hands down my favorite pedal. I tried another but wasn’t right and switched to Ludwig Atlas Pro pedal which is currently my favorite, I have 3.

Monday317

Reaction score
My foot is pedal-deaf. I can tell one pedal being easier than another, and know strap drive isn't so hot. I refurbished a Speed-Kind and use it a lot, but wish it had a rock plate.

Just ordered a Gibraltar 9611 single dd that does have a rock play, hoping for miracles...

Latest posts