Switching Ludwig short bow tie lugs to long bow tie lugs.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the large Ludwig bow tie lugs (P2239C) will fit on a newer 6.5 Classic Maple snare and replace the short bow tie stock lugs without any drilling?

I’m thinking of making the switch as I feel the short bow ties look odd on the 6.5. Superficial of me, I know.

Also, if the long lugs do fit without drilling, does anyone know what length tension rods I’d need?

Thanks so much.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The long bowties have a wider hole pattern so you would have to drill two new holes per lug.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That look, with the small classic lug small and bottom, is most appealing as well. Really shows off the finish. An excellent alternative suggestion.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is a good idea. I really don't like the large bowties on snares. They are too out of proportion.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The lug spacing of a small bowtie or imperial is 2 11/64" so they are too far apart to utilize if you want to put two small classic lugs. The existing holes should be covered by the small lugs so you could drill new holes for small lugs and you would not see anything from the outside. You would have two holes visible between the lug screws inside and this would cause a small amount of venting through the holes then through the lugs and around the inserts.

Latest posts