Synth Enthusiast or Not: It's Fascinating

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am a synth fan. Being a child of the 80’s and growing up with MTV I love all of that stuff, Flock of Seagulls, aha, late Blondie, late, Hall and Oates, Men at Work, Talking Heads.

I remember hearing Van Halen’s 1984 for the first time with its clean, futuristic synth and followed Rush through its transition. The Rush synth records are still some of my favorite offerings.

So yeah, count me a fan.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a MicroKorg XL a while back and it is insanely fun to play and quite a powerful tool. Highly recommended if anyone is considering their first synth.
Very cool.
People dont always realize no piano background is needed before you buy.
Like me, you may have the ability to "tickle the ivories"
but know either way a bit of time and a few hundred bucks (sell a snare not getting use) and they could be off and running.
If we have even reached one person by this thread we'll take it.
How is this not awesome (isolated synth+)...

tris66

Reaction score
Cool thread. Things have come a long way and those old sounds still have their place.
I'll add a couple that I'm lucky enough to own:
Roland GR-300. 1980ish Pretty much the first easily usable/ commercially viable guitar synth. Metheny, Fripp, and Belew put it to good work. God, I still love those early 80s King Crimson albums.
EHX Super Space Drum. Yeah, drummers need a synth, too! 1979ish (a couple years after the Pollards and Simmons.) Has an external jack so you can hook it to a modern pad. Crazy, fun sounds!

Attachments

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
My brother is an engineer at Moog, and I studied under Bob Moog in college. I used to be deep into synthesizers, especially modular, but eventually I realized that I was spending all my time making neato sounds, and none of it producing listenable music. So I went back to drums, to refocus myself on making music just with rudimentary sounds. Now I get the same pleasure from extracting different tones out of a snare or ride, that I used to get by turning knobs and pushing buttons.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Yup metoo! I’ve had synths all my life...
Mini-Moog, Prophet 5, Ensoniq Sampler, Micro-Moog and currently a Roland Juno DS.

BD0DD637-B5A5-4618-B901-55AF5896D44D.jpeg

Last edited:

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have this one too. Great sounding and easy to use.
This week I ordered the original Microkorg for my brother, I like it because it's easier to manipulate the filters with more knobs available than the XL version. I can see why synth enthusiasts end up with a room full of these things.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
This week I ordered the original Microkorg for my brother, I like it because it's easier to manipulate the filters with more knobs available than the XL version. I can see why synth enthusiasts end up with a room full of these things.
Agree. There are many of them out there and I think they have better presets. Probably my favorite digital "analog modeling" synth.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've been into analog synth since the 70s, when I got really into Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Carl Palmer was my gateway drug into Moog synthesizers. I almost bought a PAIA Synth kit in the late 70s, until I realized that I didn't have the know-how to build one. I've come close several times to getting a Korg or Moog. If I had room in my house, I'd get one!

REF

Reaction score
I still have an Ensoniq SQ-2 from 30 years ago. Had a bunch of patch cards for it. Lost them all in a move somehow. I still have old Korg and other modules. I love synth music.

That Surman/Martin clip is crazy. Never heard of them before. That loop was starting to get to me, though.

Animusic. I love this stuff: