Taiwan maple smack down... GRESTCH RENOWN vs DW DESIGN

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Which to buy? Looking at selling two of my sets for just one of these... (68th B-day present... happy birthday to me!)

BOTH SETS ARE $1350 NEW........... Both sets are 4 drums, maple, made in Taiwan (I think), same price

**DW DESIGN FLYER... 20-12-14 w/ matching snare (do not need the snare, so I could sell it).

**GRETSCH RENOWN w/ 20"... 20-10-12-14, no snare. I use only one high tom but like the option of using either a 10 or a 12.

PROS: **DW has a snare I could sell, plus I like the 12" bass depth for fitting into my small living room, and I LOVE the finish. Also prefer the "shorty" floor tom
**Gretsch has both 10 and 12 toms, deeper bass for a bigger "rock" sound that might be more functional for louder gigs

I play lower volume jazzy stuff with lots of melodic/rudimental soloing but do want a BIG PUNCHY ROCK style kick sound

PLEASE... I do not want LUDWIG, SONOR etc. I know you are gonna tell me I need one of those but I am set on either Gretsch or DW.

img_0819_9.jpg

1147262_51052_popup.jpg

Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me I would go with the dw.
I like the sizes and bass drum spurs.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Based on what you say you want, go DW. The Gretsch is nice, but it sounds like the DW ticks a lot more of the boxes you are looking for. If you sell the snare you can buy the 10" rack tom with the money.

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I've gigged and recorded with a 14 x 11 DW Collectors floor tom since 1999. Zero issues with getting a great, full sound. Also, some perceive the shallower depths as speaking a little quicker than a square size. Bet it blends nicely in the Flyer kit.

For your needs and main musical style I'd go with the DW...

Ox Han

Reaction score
I really like the “mid-tier” drums coming out of Taiwan.

I too really like the flyer for its bass drum depth and diameter. But the rack tom is heavy for being marketed as a light weight kit. It’s snare is nice too

really, you can’t go wrong with either

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used Renown toms for a while . Made in Taiwan . A lot like the Gretsch from the 70's , a very good thing . Heads were a nice loose fit . Even had the silver sealer paint on the interior . I wouldn't hesitate to choose the Renowns .

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go with the DW myself . I really dislike the Gretsch suspension mount on the Renowns. I prefer the DW suspension mount. I also like the DW sizes for the same reason you do . I have had a few sets with 20 x 12 bass drums and they feel and play great .

The only thing I like more about the Renown is the lug appearance .

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you're playing a lot of jazz, I wonder if you should go with the Gretsch - seems to be the more logical choice for that genre between the two brands, to me anyway. I'd think you'd be able to get the alternate rock sound from either kick drum.

Either way, enjoy the process and the new kit!

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After I got my Renown kit, I sold all my other maple kits and expanded the Renown to a shell bank. There’s nothing that I’ve found wanting in this kit. I purchased a set of die-cast hoops for all drums as well, so now I can do the classic Gretsch sound or a more open sound with the stock 302 hoops.

I’m currently at 6 kits, with the Renown as the only maple, and I’ve never had a problem with them.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sell them both and go Gretsch USA.

Already got a Grestch USA kit... from the '80's.

Big ol' 16x22 kick on the Grestch USA tho...

I really want a 20", because the 20" kick goes with the FENG SHUI of the living room (very important, don't cha know...)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Here's the USA Gretsch set, it is a veteran of MANY country rock bar gigs from the 80's - 90's! I think all the cigarette smoke made 'em sound better.

gretsch usa framed.jpg

Last edited:

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own both kits and as far as build quality- I would put them both equal. 30 degree bearing edges vs 45 degree sound somewhat different. So sizes and application would be the deciding factor for me. As far as the two kits, my DW Frequent Flyer does get a lot more gigging activity....

sternerp

Reaction score
Which to buy? Looking at selling two of my sets for just one of these... (68th B-day present... happy birthday to me!)

BOTH SETS ARE $1350 NEW........... Both sets are 4 drums, maple, made in Taiwan (I think), same price

**DW DESIGN FLYER... 20-12-14 w/ matching snare (do not need the snare, so I could sell it).

**GRETSCH RENOWN w/ 20"... 20-10-12-14, no snare. I use only one high tom but like the option of using either a 10 or a 12.

PROS: **DW has a snare I could sell, plus I like the 12" bass depth for fitting into my small living room, and I LOVE the finish. Also prefer the "shorty" floor tom
**Gretsch has both 10 and 12 toms, deeper bass for a bigger "rock" sound that might be more functional for louder gigs

I play lower volume jazzy stuff with lots of melodic/rudimental soloing but do want a BIG PUNCHY ROCK style kick sound

PLEASE... I do not want LUDWIG, SONOR etc. I know you are gonna tell me I need one of those but I am set on either Gretsch or DW.

View attachment 505012

View attachment 505014
I play mostly jazz and swing. I owned an early version of the DW Frequent Flyer, and loved it, including the snare drum. Sounded great, built well, and looks good. I sold it because I also had a Gretsch New Classic Bop series and had to flip a coin on which to sell. Renown’s are of similar build quality to the New Classics and have a great reputation. I’d take either one: they’re both excellent choices.

36EE228D-5D17-42B4-BC35-F63AB2343FF8.jpeg 0F30DD60-AD79-425B-8691-F8EE39E55AD3.jpeg

Last edited:

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
After I got my Renown kit, I sold all my other maple kits and expanded the Renown to a shell bank. There’s nothing that I’ve found wanting in this kit. I purchased a set of die-cast hoops for all drums as well, so now I can do the classic Gretsch sound or a more open sound with the stock 302 hoops.

I’m currently at 6 kits, with the Renown as the only maple, and I’ve never had a problem with them.
this says a lot

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gretsch, hands-down.