Taiwan maple smack down... GRESTCH RENOWN vs DW DESIGN

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have no dog in this hunt and I don't really care for the opinions of others with respect to what gear I choose...BUT...my Renowns will take the Pepsi challenge with just about any drum on the market today save for Yamaha Phoenix and similar high-end offerings (Brady). To my ears, they sound that good.

To the OP, you really cant go wrong with either. In this case I'm somewhat partial to the aesthetics of the DW. Sexy looking kit. After all most of what you hear out of a drum comes down to heads, tuning, and most of all your hands and feet!

Pick which one inspires you to play!
Yes!

Also, in spite of the exuberant pricing, the Yamaha PHX (yes, owned one) does not have much, if anything, over the Gretsch Renown. Yamaha has a better tom mounting system, but it's more likely the Renowns would provide greater satisfaction if one is looking at any factor beyond satisfaction based solely on how much one can pay for a drum kit.

Ox Han

Reaction score
It matters to Sound;
why do you think DW has a Gum/+ other wood shell. For their health?
(nope) one word: character (of sound)
What strawman point are you making now? How is this related to the OP?
No matter. Let's veer off course on your tangent. How do these DW gum/+ other wood shells compare to the maple/gum Pearl master shells (are these made in Taiwan or Japan?) And how do these DW gum/+ other wood shells differ sonically from the Cherry/Gum shells on the first club date reissues circa 2012, which were also made in Taiwan?

Those are two "import" sets with gum/+ other wood shells. We done with this now? Many USA made shells are single species. Many import shells are multiple species. You still can't make a solid argument as to why Taiwan Gretsch is repulsive and should be avoided by OP.

DW flyer will be good. Gretsch renown will be good. I hope to see a renown with a 20x12 b/c there wouldn't be a decision for me. It'd be renown all the way.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What strawman point are you making now? How is this related to the OP?
Look all I said was import Gretsch aren't for me so to OP I'd do the DW.
save your breath towards me u won't be changing my opinion

Last edited:

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The only downside to the Renowns and non-Collectors DW drums is limited sizes and finishes compared to the top lines, but that's where a lot of the cost savings comes from (mass produced vs made to order). The sound and quality is right up there with just about anything else.
I do wish the Renowns still came with diecast hoops, but the 302s are still a nice change of pace from the typical 2.3mm triple-flanged hoops.

Ox Han

Reaction score
The only downside to the Renowns and non-Collectors DW drums is limited sizes and finishes compared to the top lines, but that's where a lot of the cost savings comes from (mass produced vs made to order). The sound and quality is right up there with just about anything else.
I do wish the Renowns still came with diecast hoops, but the 302s are still a nice change of pace from the typical 2.3mm triple-flanged hoops.
The finish options on the DW Design are not appealing to me either

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm going to be caught dead with either make it the DW
the idea of spending money on a Taiwan Gretsch is repulsive to me or..... If you're going to go cheap or medium price new don't have the Gretsch name on it; that seems fraudulent to me. I can hear myself saying " no these aren't real ones"..
Have you ever spent quality time playing Renown kit?

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
It sounds to me like JDA hasn't put in time with a Renown kit, and if he has, he just has a personal stigma against them in general. It's certainly not based on sound or build quality. It couldn't possibly be.

If you blindfolded 100 drummers in a room with a Renown kit and a USA Custom kit, the results would be pretty shocking. Most would conclude that they're both very very similar in sound. And a good portion of them would even prefer the sound of the Renowns. I'd bet my life on it.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
l
Fwiw, although I had to wait 8 months, Gretsch made me a 14x12 by request. They can do it if you’re willing to wait.

I doubt they’d refuse to cut down a 20x16 to 20x12, so the question is really ‘how bad do you want it?’ The up charge was only $10. They put a factory hanging rim mount on it but I wasn’t going to use it anyway. There’s my $10+ back.

Btw, that tom is better sounding than any 14 rack or floor tom I’ve played except the Sonor beech which does its own thing.

Masecar

Reaction score
The Renown are great kits. I loooove the new suspension mounts, and since I don't care for shallow floor toms it would be my pick.

No they don't speak the same way that old Jasper shell Gretsch do. But that doesn't mean it's not a great sounding kit.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
when they first hit the stores I was right there and there was a USA Custom right next to it. So Yes.
Renowns were "clean" straight-wave- line characterless. . USA Customs wavered. Had "the twang".

I know over time which one you get attached the long-lasting- to. The Twang. The Unpure one.
If you just need " a drum" they're fine.... as would be a comparable tama/ mapex/pearl etc

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
well...I guess 'any following is a good following and the name Paluzzi; I went to grade school with a Paluzzi. Lynn. She was sharp except for the mustache. Common name around here you'd think I'd get some respect ; ) If that's your cousin tell her I said Hello

Ox Han

Reaction score
l

Fwiw, although I had to wait 8 months, Gretsch made me a 14x12 by request. They can do it if you’re willing to wait.

I doubt they’d refuse to cut down a 20x16 to 20x12, so the question is really ‘how bad do you want it?’ The up charge was only $10. They put a factory hanging rim mount on it but I wasn’t going to use it anyway. There’s my $10+ back.

Btw, that tom is better sounding than any 14 rack or floor tom I’ve played except the Sonor beech which does its own thing.
Can you tell me a bit more? Did you request this for a renown kit? What dealer did you go through?

Thanks!