Taiwan maple smack down... GRESTCH RENOWN vs DW DESIGN

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me a bit more? Did you request this for a renown kit? What dealer did you go through?

Thanks!
Despite their shop being on the other side of ‘murica, through the advice of LRod, I contacted Barry at Soundpure.

I asked him and he looked into it and came back with a yes. He was able to get me a very good deal on the whole kit plus a Mapex snare.

If you’re willing to be patient you might be able to get any size you want if not outlandish.

I’d be happy with a stock 20x16 next, so I think that’ll be my next add on to the Renown kit.

Ox Han

Reaction score
Familiarize me I guess?
You probably aren't missing much. Kids movie - one of the bed times stories is Adam Sandler speaking to Rob Snyder's character about a red horse named Ferrari and some fart joke about wind in there....Anyway, good movie if you have young kids. Pass if you don't

John Hollandsworth

Reaction score
I have owned both kits, I still own the Renown kit. That is my go to kit for studio work and gigs. The DW design series has a shallow sound without much bottom end. I tried the same heads on both kits; Remo Ambassador coated, Evans G2 coated and Aquarian Focus TC and Evans EMAD on the kick. Hands down the Gretsch kit had a better tone and was easier to tune than the DW. I really wanted to like the DW kit even when I could hear the difference between them. The best part of the DW kit was the snare. There is no weak link with the Gretch kit.

BillC

Reaction score
Very interesting and informative thread. Great insight to perception into drum making in today’s world.
I have never visited a drum manufacture facility in America but I have visited several in Asia by invitation.
Not to get too far off into politics, Taiwan is experiencing shortages in metal. While China seems to have plenty. There seems to be a squeeze on Taiwan. The supply of metal in Taiwan by as much as 30% if not more. It is interesting to see the outcome.

Ox Han

Reaction score
Very interesting and informative thread. Great insight to perception into drum making in today’s world.
I have never visited a drum manufacture facility in America but I have visited several in Asia by invitation.
Not to get too far off into politics, Taiwan is experiencing shortages in metal. While China seems to have plenty. There seems to be a squeeze on Taiwan. The supply of metal in Taiwan by as much as 30% if not more. It is interesting to see the outcome.
Not sure I understand the point you’re trying to make and what it has to do with the OP.

which kit would you choose from the OP?

Jawshoeuh

Reaction score
Which to buy? Looking at selling two of my sets for just one of these... (68th B-day present... happy birthday to me!)

BOTH SETS ARE $1350 NEW........... Both sets are 4 drums, maple, made in Taiwan (I think), same price

**DW DESIGN FLYER... 20-12-14 w/ matching snare (do not need the snare, so I could sell it).

**GRETSCH RENOWN w/ 20"... 20-10-12-14, no snare. I use only one high tom but like the option of using either a 10 or a 12.

PROS: **DW has a snare I could sell, plus I like the 12" bass depth for fitting into my small living room, and I LOVE the finish. Also prefer the "shorty" floor tom
**Gretsch has both 10 and 12 toms, deeper bass for a bigger "rock" sound that might be more functional for louder gigs

I play lower volume jazzy stuff with lots of melodic/rudimental soloing but do want a BIG PUNCHY ROCK style kick sound

PLEASE... I do not want LUDWIG, SONOR etc. I know you are gonna tell me I need one of those but I am set on either Gretsch or DW.

View attachment 505012

View attachment 505014

I love my Renowns, but of the two you posted I'd go with that DW- I like the finish, hardware, and shell depths a little better.