Tala wands out - replacement choices

Shedboyxx

Reaction score
Good morning all,

First post in a while.

Looks like the VF Steve Smith Birch (yellow handle) Tala Wands are no more.
Those were my go to rods style implement even with them having a short life span.

They had a firmness that I enjoyed that I can't find on other rods. I was thinking of going with these:

Regal Tip Grip Thai Sticks

Anyone use these?

I've tried a lot of others (including Rutes and the remaining 'Slatz) but can't find a comparable feel.

Thoughts? Experiences with the Thai Sticks?

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Make them yourself.
$$$$CHEAPER than buying them.

I find my supplies at ACE hardware.
Dowel Rods (they carry the 4 ft ones. You can get three 16" out of them.
Caulk filler foam (comes in rolls)
Colored Electrical tape.

1585334013951.png

debotcher

Reaction score
i make them myself as well. I use wood glue & put heat shrink tubing on all but about 4" of the ends, leaving both ends exposed. That way you can flip them around & double thier life.

Barden

Reaction score
Get the dowels in 100 pack on amazon for the price of five at the home center. Put wood glue between the dowels on the half you hold and use heat shrink tubing. I loved the tala wands, but I like these better.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
Check out Headhunters Sticks - they have dozens of options and so am sure you will find something of interest with them .

Shedboyxx

Reaction score
Thank you all. Lots of great suggestions. For those that recommended the DIY method: What diameter dimensions on the Caulk filler foam and the dowels did you use? Dowels: 1/8 inch, 3/16, 1/4 in.? Caulk filler foam: 1/2 inch? This feels like a good way to try although the Headhunter assortment looks interesting.

Shedboyxx

Reaction score
I always felt the foam center gave some bounce to the dowels. More support than just more dowels.