Talk About OT: What's the Farthest You've Ever Traveled From Home?

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think middle of NY State to Jerusalem is my longest. Have also traveled to England, Greece, France, Spain, The Netherlands, Italy (many times), and my favorite place, Iceland. Was supposed to go to conferences on Rhodes and in Madrid this summer, but alas. Domestically, I've been kinda all over the east coast and the midwest and major cities out on the west coast. Probably leading a study group to New Zealand in 2024.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I was on the road, I visited 40 out of 50 states, Mexico, Tahiti, French Polynesia, China, and Russia. My furthest destination was North Korea. The band spent 10 days in and around Pyongyang, playing in an arts festival with about 40 other countries.

Stretsch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Toronto to Bogota Columbia and back the same day. The kicker was I was flying the plane; was a charter in the plane I flew at the time - a Learjet 60. Stopped in Cuba to pick up some Russian oil men, dropped them off and home. Had some nice leftover steak and lobster and got to take home a bottle of Chivas for my Dad! :)

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand people who willingly choose not to travel. It’s like reading one book and then saying, “Nope, I’m good. I don’t need to ever read another book. This one is fine.” So many things to experience, so many people to meet, so many adventures to have.

The furthest for me was flying from New Orleans to Goa, India. India was described to me as this, “It’s an assault on the senses.” I found that statement to be incredibly accurate. Amazing, stunning, shocking, bewildering, are all terms that come to mind when I think back to that trip.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand people who willingly choose not to travel. It’s like reading one book and then saying, “Nope, I’m good. I don’t need to ever read another book. This one is fine.” So many things to experience, so many people to meet, so many adventures to have.

The furthest for me was flying from New Orleans to Goa, India. India was described to me as this, “It’s an assault on the senses.” I found that statement to be incredibly accurate. Amazing, stunning, shocking, bewildering, are all terms that come to mind when I think back to that trip.
So true. I went to India with my family earlier this year, and your description sums up the experience perfectly. We were in a group of maybe 15 people with our own guide and bus driver, and we visited Delhi, Jaipur, Agra, and Ranthambore National Park all in 9 days. I'll definitely be going back. But my sister and I both agreed that next time we will have to put some rest days in the program, or maybe finish the trip with a few days in Goa to unwind. Because at the end of those 9 days of constant travel and sight-seeing we were so filled up with experiences and impressions that it was almost too much.

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Farthest I have ever traveled is New Zealand,I have relatives there.As far as the farthest I have traveled to play the drums was also NZ ,I played about six tunes at a blues open mic.Really nice folks and some really good blues players and the host band was led by a crotchety older Native Maori guitar player that bitched at me and the guys just the same way that older crotchety blues guys have bitched at me here in the U.S. It was awesome.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
UK to Australia as a lad, then Asia from where I did more than one trip to US and Europe and back. I am still in Asia.

midnightsupperclub

Reaction score
I travel regularly between Singapore and North Carolina, at least twice a year. 28-30hr flights have become the norm for me. So longest flight would have to be from Singapore to either Raleigh NC or Vancouver.

Longest train ride was 36hrs from Shenzhen, Guangdong Province to Kunming in Yunnan Province in China. Longest bus ride was 42hrs from Tulsa to Ft Lauderdale on the Greyhound. These were done many years ago when I had just started my first job and saving a couple of hundred bucks on airfare was a big deal for me. I figured my money was more precious than my time at that point in my life. And a 150 bucks could buy me a whole lotta music gear!

Longest drive was 16hrs in one day from Raleigh to Vermont last December. Drove with my brother and nephews to spend a few days in Vermont and visit some friends. We figured it was more work to stop for a night with 2 young kids in tow so we left at 6am, loaded up on coffee and pushed through in one day.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Flagstaff, Az to see my brother. It's beautiful out there. I liked it a lot.

I envy some of you guys, a lot of real travelers out there. I keep trying to convince my chick we should elope in Italy, on the coast of Tuscany.

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
Been to every Continent except Antarctica. Last year I flew the First Lady of Cambodia and her girlfriends on a 42 day around the world shopping trip in her private 737. A lovely woman who tipped extremely well. Now I am back in NC and happy to be in the GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!

Morello Man

Reaction score
I was living in California, got my affairs in order, moved to West Germany. This was when the wall was up and I entered east Berlin for a track meet. Sitting in the bus on the way to the stadium, I thought to myself, the contrast at what I had left behind a mere week before compared to those on the bus who would never have the opportunity To know freedom.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Physically - L.A. to Sydney AUS for 3 weeks right after the 2000 Olympics

Psychedically - to the ends of the 4th dimension (and always back)..........

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I envy some of you guys, a lot of real travelers out there. I keep trying to convince my chick we should elope in Italy, on the coast of Tuscany.
Do it!
I've been to Tuscany a few times as a kid, and if I ever win the lottery that will be in my top 2 of places to buy a holiday home (the other one being Tautavel in the north-eastern Pyrénées).

bonsritmos

Reaction score
went to new york from chicago , and lived in la for a minute , and have done varous tours to other cities in the usa

first gig out of the usa was with walter bishop jr with john ore on bass for cecilia payne ( sister of cecil ) on voice , on the jazz cruise to the bahamas and bermuda ( beautiful there)
then i toured france, paris , metz then geneva with sonny sharrok
hamburg germany with gail conrad tap

international touring gave me the courage to go to brazil and i never looked back
toured varius cities in brazil , rio , recife, salvador, porto de galinhas , arco verde, porto alegre , florianopolis , with the late great paulo russo , one of the top bass players anywhere , and gilson perenzzetta , louizao maia, fabinho costa ,elza soares, kiko continentino , marcelo martins , barosinho , who was the first gig i did in rio , and many other great players.

i toured various cities in the usa
it is always based on the individual and their taste, brazil , which i had huge expectations just on reputation , far surpassed any expectations i had, and has been a never ending source of inspiration for my music and life

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score

Our singer's sister got married in Tuscany. I think Radda specifically. Both of them plus another friend had an Italian restaurant called Radda a few years back. From the pics I've seen it looks amazing plus he's got some funny stories from that trip.

drummertom

DFO Veteran
Staff member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do it!
I've been to Tuscany a few times as a kid, and if I ever win the lottery that will be in my top 2 of places to buy a holiday home (the other one being Tautavel in the north-eastern Pyrénées).

BPellowe

Reaction score
Been west halfway around the world to Hong Kong, Viet Nam, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Borneo, plus Tahiti and Bora Bora.

Heading east, most of Europe, Africa, Qatar and Dubai.

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
The farthest point from my home is somewhere in the North Atlantic. So the farthest I've travelled from home is either New York (where I played some shows on one visit) or Barcelona.

The place that felt the farthest was either Madagascar (I played a show in nearby Mauritius) or Lapland (not a strip club - though I played one of those in Vegas - but northern Finland).