Talk about standing the test of time

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Joe sounds good. I always enjoy his playing. He had strong ties to the swing era, like Buddy Rich, and he never crossed over into bebop. But he was still a virtuoso.

The best thing in that clip for me is Paul Desmond. What a phenomenal soloist. :occasion5:
Of course, as a drummer I love Joe, and I’ve shown him the love in other posts, but I got to give it up for Paul here too. He was literary and intellectual with a wit as dry as his saxophone. But then solos to make you weep like a child. Beautiful player.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
DBQ is my favorite jazz band and Morello is probably my favorite jazz drummer. He always played so tastefully.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Look, I'm not even going to pretend I'm smart enough to know what I'm looking at. Couldn't name one chord or even what flavor "jazz" this is....

But I will say this-EVERY clip I have seen of these guys not only sounds GREAT, but exudes such CLASS I'm mesmerized....just mesmerized. Breaking the "cool" sound barrier because they don't have a single phony poser bone in their body.

To bad Jazz is "dead" :roll:

Lol

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Morello was the all time best in my opinion!
Yes my great regret is that drum wise I discovered him after he passed. I do know a local guy who knew him and has nothing but good to say about what a kind and helpful guy he was.

Last edited:

levelpebble

Reaction score
DANG. That was an incredible performance by all! Makes me want to pull my Morello Silver Sparkle Super Classics off the market!

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
In the late 60's, Joe was the big thing because he was doing Ludwig clinics all the time. My drummer friends were all saying he could play a roll with his left hand and on his bass pedal.

He could probably do all that stuff. But he was also a fine musical player. When I listen to the Brubeck records, his comping impresses me more than the drum solos. Inerrant time, tasteful fills, the perfect accents at the perfect times. He also got a beautiful sound out of his drums that blended perfectly with the group.

polycrescendo

Reaction score
@ the 3:43 mark in this video, I love seeing pure moments like this. There is a whole separate conversation going on between the rhythm section. True masters.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes my great regret is that drum wise I discovered him after he passed. I do know a local guy who knew him and has nothing but good to say about what a kind and helpful guy he was.
Me too! I got back into (serious) drumming about a year ago after many years of not playing. Before when I played, I just played and that was it. I was younger and didn't care about the technical aspects. Maturity, age and the yearning to play again brought me back into this passionate hobby at full speed. I learned about him not long ago and have been mesmerized watching his craft. The guy was amazing!

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
@ the 3:43 mark in this video, I love seeing pure moments like this. There is a whole separate conversation going on between the rhythm section. True masters.
You're right. Gene and Joe had their own thing going. They had a special bond.

When the sh** is really grooving, the bass player and drummer always look at each other and grin. That is a great moment in this video, and it makes me think of all the times I've done the same thing with great bass players. We are the ones who carry the time and make it cook.

Paul Desmond was jealous of Morello because he thought he was stealing the audience's attention. It's interesting that when Desmond made records under his own name, he usually used Connie Kay on drums. He wanted a drummer who just grooved it without a lot of solo chops.