Talk me down from a new Dynasonic

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have an old Luxor that I really love. Of course it would be awesome to get one of the 6.5” deep Luxors or wood Powertones, but they are very rare and expensive. The new Dynasonics are also expensive, but with various sales going on I could pick one up for about $600.

Everyone has their own idea of dollar value; me, I would pay 600 for the vintage ones with 6 or 8 lugs, knowing they would sound amazing and hold their worth basically forever. I just don’t have that same confidence in a new Dyna yet, with 10 lugs, different wire system, probably some subtle differences in the shell, and no chatter here on the forum.

So far the only opinion I’ve seen here is that the new ones are “brighter” than the old. Basically I’m looking for your hands-on experience to tell me whether the new Dyna is enough “like” the 6.5 wood Powertone to be worth the money, or is more likely to be an overpriced ordinary modern drum.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
what size, what material (wood?) 600 doesn't sound like a lot.. for a 6.5 Wood. I say Yea.
more "modern" but true to spec, is sometimes better..

exhibit A) new USA Gretsch
Exhibit B.. (some) new K Zildjians (some)

600 sounds like a bargain
for an 1100$ drum ; )

Last edited:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I won't talk you down. it's one of the few new drums I'm actually interested in and might actually play.

My issue is waiting for a lacquer finish, I won't buy a newly built wrapped drum..
They have some lacquer finishes now, and they look really fantastic. The price is higher than the wrapped ones, and so far none of the sales I’ve seen have included them. On the one hand I would much rather have no wrap, but otoh I can’t talk myself into paying $900.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"Show me.........the Color Swatch!...wait I have it in a cascio catalog
anything but Blue ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNyx

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They have some lacquer finishes now, and they look really fantastic. The price is higher than the wrapped ones, and so far none of the sales I’ve seen have included them. On the one hand I would much rather have no wrap, but otoh I can’t talk myself into paying $900.
Neither can I

73Rogers

Reaction score
The shells are not the same construction and the wood is new, so it's a modern drum with replica hardware, IMO. As much as I love my Rogers, I'm not impressed with the new drums or hardware.
The guys on the FB groups are drinking the NewRogers kool-aid by the gallon. Dissenting opinions have gotten deleted pretty quickly.
If I was buying a wood snare, it would be an Inde, no doubt about it. You can get a 6.5x14 oiled finish for $349 and one of their reso-armor finishes for $599. Check them out if you haven't yet.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The shells are not the same construction and the wood is new, so it's a modern drum with replica hardware, IMO. As much as I love my Rogers, I'm not impressed with the new drums or hardware.
The guys on the FB groups are drinking the NewRogers kool-aid by the gallon. Dissenting opinions have gotten deleted pretty quickly.
If I was buying a wood snare, it would be an Inde, no doubt about it. You can get a 6.5x14 oiled finish for $349 and one of their reso-armor finishes for $599. Check them out if you haven't yet.
Nah.... Every thin shell snare that I've ever tightened past medium has choked like the NY Jets. No thanks...

lcondo123

Reaction score
The new Rogers drums are using a lacquer sparkle. Unless the drums are BMP, WMP, or an onyx, it's lacquer. All of the sparkles, the black finish - they're a lacquer.

They're building the drums using the same style 5-ply shell (the new kits will be 3-ply) as the primetime Rogers used in the early 60's, but obviously it's not identical. The new Rogers drums are stellar instruments, though. I won't talk you down, I'll encourage you to grab one! The 6.5" wood ones are insane.

Here's a brand new 6.5 Dynasonic side-by-side with an original 1966 6.5 wood Dyna

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I've been playing drums for over 57 years, and over that time I've played on just about every highly-regarded snare drum you can name. I currently own a LB416BT brass-on-brass Black Beauty that I've been playing (and loving) since 2013. Last December I brought the BB down to Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood and did a side-by-side comparison with a new 5x14 Dyna-Sonic (I even brought a new matching head for the Dyna so the test would be fair). I played both drums for nearly an hour, after which I ordered a WMP Dyna, which arrived 3 days later.

Simply put, my WMP Dyna-Sonic is flat-out the best snare drum I've ever laid sticks on. Go online and check out what old Rogers catalogs say about the Dyna; I've found that all their claims (except one) were 100% true: • Pinpoint definition? Check. • Choke-free sound? At all volumes. • Faster stick rebound? You betcha. • Full dynamic range? The best I've ever heard. • The sound of music? (OK, this is subjective, but the drum blends perfectly with my 2013 Ludwig Legacy Maple kit) • Simplest adjustment of any drum? (OK, this one isn't exactly true, since each of the 2 snare adjustments affects how the drum sounds and plays in a different way, so it's easy to muck it up if you don't learn how each one works).

HOWEVER (and it's a big however): This drum isn't for everyone:

• If you're a heavy-hitting backbeat monster you'll never take advantage of what's different about this drum. If I want to play 2 and 4 all night my Black Beauty works much better. Remember, this drum was originally designed and built to woo Buddy Rich so he'd become a Rogers endorser. If you play with speed and subtlety, and if you play at lots of different volume levels, this may be the perfect drum for you.

• If you use heavy drumheads much of the subtlety this drum can deliver will be lost. In the '60s Rogers originally shipped this drum fitted with Remo Diplomat heads; I think my new one came with a Diplomat, but I immediately installed a Fiberskyn FD since those are my preferred heads. Nonetheless, this drum was designed to work best with thinner heads.

• As I said earlier, it's easy to muck-up the adjustments, which can make the drum sound and play lousy. Back in the day many drummers became so frustrated with their Dynas that they replaced the snare frame with a conventional 20-strand snare (which was OK on the metal versions, but since the wood ones don't have snare beds they don't work well with conventional snares). This frustration was 100% due to drummers not learning how to properly adjust the drum to get the best performance.

The best advice I can give you is to try one that's been properly set up before buying one. I grew up in the early 1960s lusting after a Rogers drumset, so when they brought this drum back with the beavertail lugs last year I just had to see what all the hype was about. Turns out it wasn't hype — it was The Real Deal.

Last edited:

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have an old Luxor that I really love. Of course it would be awesome to get one of the 6.5” deep Luxors or wood Powertones, but they are very rare and expensive. The new Dynasonics are also expensive, but with various sales going on I could pick one up for about $600.

Everyone has their own idea of dollar value; me, I would pay 600 for the vintage ones with 6 or 8 lugs, knowing they would sound amazing and hold their worth basically forever. I just don’t have that same confidence in a new Dyna yet, with 10 lugs, different wire system, probably some subtle differences in the shell, and no chatter here on the forum.

So far the only opinion I’ve seen here is that the new ones are “brighter” than the old. Basically I’m looking for your hands-on experience to tell me whether the new Dyna is enough “like” the 6.5 wood Powertone to be worth the money, or is more likely to be an overpriced ordinary modern drum.
bongomania, in my opinion NO Dyna is worth the price. I have all the drums you mention: 5" and 6.5" luxors, 5" and 6.5" wood Powertones, 5" and 6.5" COB Powertones, 5" wood and COB Dynasonics, plus some you don't mention: 5" and 6.5" XP10 Dynasonics and Supertens from the Big R era.

I've done side-by-side comparisons. Bottom line, IMHO, the 10 lug Rogers snares don't hold a candle to their 6 and 8 lug metal and wood counterparts.

My feeling is, the more hardware you throw on a drum the more it chokes the sound. All the claptrap on a Dyna makes it a finnicky objet d'art. (Same with a new Gretsch Renown 6.5" six ply maple snare I have that has 20--count 'em TWENTY--lugs! It sounds like sh1t!)

I know the Rogers Dynasonic worshippers will lambaste me for my stance. But I'd take my 5" blue sparkle Cleveland 3 ply Powertone (with extra holes) anywhere, anytime, in any arena and it will outperform ANY other drum I've owned or tested, even with a couple of tensioners haphazardly loosened on top and bottom. You just can't screw up the sound of a wood Powertone. It is just so darn throaty. You can coax so many sounds from rim to center--all beautiful. And my Luxors aren't far behind.

In short: wait for that Luxor or wood Powertone of your dreams!

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Coaxing different sounds out of the same drum is a function of how you play it. I can get a dozen different sounds out of my Black Beauty just by how I play it. And after how you play it, the head's always more important than the drum when it comes to what the thing sounds like.

However, the way a drum feels; the way it reacts to your sticks (assuming identical heads) is a function of the drum's design and construction, and this is where I think the Dyna-Sonic excels. It's just plain easier to play and it responds more quickly to small and large changes in sticking than any other drum I've ever played.

I can get my Dyna-Sonic to sound identical to my Black Beauty, and vise-versa (although the BB has one distinct overtone that the Dyna lacks). And if I fiddle with the adjustments (read: muck them up a bit) I can even get my Dyna to feel and play like my Black Beauty. But I can NOT get my Black Beauty to feel and play like my (properly-adjusted) Dyna-Sonic no matter what I do to the BB.

This means all the difference in my playing, but it may not make a bit of difference in yours. The only way to tell is to play one. The experience is not transferable.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are using the Ludwig style sparkles instead of the "glitter" version that Rogers used to use.
Yes, Rogers used to use glass glitter finishes. I assumed that they would do so on the new drums as well.

I approached their booth at the Chicago drum show last year. I asked about silver glass instead of silver sparkle or maybe champagne sparkle. The person at the booth was sort of rude. "If that's what what your waiting for, you'll be waiting a long time!" I'm standing there with two grand in my pocket, clearly interested, and willing to order a couple of snare drums, he didn't even want to talk about it. Salesmanship wasn't his strong point. I walked away. I've owned a COB Dynasonic for years and have always wanted a wood one. (Or two...)

A couple of months ago I sent a message asking the same thing. I figured that after the initial flurry of activity they might be willing to discuss other finishes. The response was more polite, but they still are not interested in my money. "We have silver sparkle". I'd be willing to pay extra for champagne sparkle and/or silver glass, but they don't seem even a bit interested in hearing customer opinion. Maybe they are so buried in orders that a couple of grand worth of snare drums don't matter to them. If that is the case in this economy, good for them.

Since last May I've bought seven snare drums, a DW Supersonic, a Gretsch USA Solid Shell, a Ludwig Copper Phonic Raw, two Gretsch USA Custom six ply drums in silver glass finish, a used Dunnett Titanium, and a vintage Gretsch round badge Dixie Land snare in silver glass. Off the top of my head I know that I've spent over four grand in snare drums. In the same time period I expanded my new Gretsch USA Custom kit into a shell bank. I'd like to think that I'm their target market.

I agree that the drums are sort of cool, but I'm not going to beg them to have a conversation with me about them.

I can't wait for the new Slingerland Radio King snare drums to be released, and I'll bet that DW will be happy to make me a couple of them in silver glass and champagne sparkle. And if I really like what DW comes up with for Slingerland drum kits, a Slingerland shell bank would be pretty cool.

I had high expectations for the new Rogers, my excitement has cooled. I do wish them luck though, I always root for American drum companies.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After purchasing the 5” in November I haven’t stopped playing it. I have many well regarded snare drums to choose from but for now I choose to play the Dyna. I really enjoy the sound and feel. Try one out, at a social distance. I bought it with the attitude that it is a brand new drum that happens to match my Cleveland set rather than a reissue substitute for the original. The whole presentation, craftsmanship, and sound are worth $600 to me. Besides, I realistically wouldn’t gig a 60’s Dyna anyway.

Would you buy one if it wasn’t a reissue?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes, Rogers used to use glass glitter finishes. I assumed that they would do so on the new drums as well.

I approached their booth at the Chicago drum show last year. I asked about silver glass instead of silver sparkle or maybe champagne sparkle. The person at the booth was sort of rude. "If that's what what your waiting for, you'll be waiting a long time!" I'm standing there with two grand in my pocket, clearly interested, and willing to order a couple of snare drums, he didn't even want to talk about it. Salesmanship wasn't his strong point. I walked away. I've owned a COB Dynasonic for years and have always wanted a wood one. (Or two...)

A couple of months ago I sent a message asking the same thing. I figured that after the initial flurry of activity they might be willing to discuss other finishes. The response was more polite, but they still are not interested in my money. "We have silver sparkle". I'd be willing to pay extra for champagne sparkle and/or silver glass, but they don't seem even a bit interested in hearing customer opinion. Maybe they are so buried in orders that a couple of grand worth of snare drums don't matter to them. If that is the case in this economy, good for them.

Since last May I've bought seven snare drums, a DW Supersonic, a Gretsch USA Solid Shell, a Ludwig Copper Phonic Raw, two Gretsch USA Custom six ply drums in silver glass finish, a used Dunnett Titanium, and a vintage Gretsch round badge Dixie Land snare in silver glass. Off the top of my head I know that I've spent over four grand in snare drums. In the same time period I expanded my new Gretsch USA Custom kit into a shell bank. I'd like to think that I'm their target market.

I agree that the drums are sort of cool, but I'm not going to beg them to have a conversation with me about them.

I can't wait for the new Slingerland Radio King snare drums to be released, and I'll bet that DW will be happy to make me a couple of them in silver glass and champagne sparkle. And if I really like what DW comes up with for Slingerland drum kits, a Slingerland shell bank would be pretty cool.

I had high expectations for the new Rogers, my excitement has cooled. I do wish them luck though, I always root for American drum companies.
Interesting psychological episode there

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Six bills would buy solid lesson time with accomplished drummers who could certainly use the income right now. Or perhaps an online course of instruction with a known guy if you're social distancing. That's about the best I can do for talking anyone down from buying another drum.