TALK ME DOWN! I really want this cool maple drum set... BUT I do not have room! WHAT DO I DO?

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No. It's emotional. Plus, that PDP set up is way old. You're enjoying the hunt. Don't capture the prey. The end result will be a let down. Look to the future of what new design may come your way.

Kinda like a Harley. Always loved'm. I more love the newer styling over the stuff from even 20 years ago. I don't look back.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If this is a setup and finish you’ve wanted for a long time at a good price, get them and sell the spl’s. Tune the yamahas up as your jazz kit. If you can swing holding on to all 4 for awhile you can decide which one gets the least use

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much an off-brand guy, and I think PDP is in that crowd, at least here at DFO, so if the PDP brand speaks to you then find a way to pick it up. I wouldn't however give up this Premieres for them.

I went with a Pork Pie bop kit because the brand just spoke to me, and PP seems to be a way off brand here at DFO as well. I think I might be the only PP player on the forum!

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm pretty much an off-brand guy, and I think PDP is in that crowd, at least here at DFO, so if the PDP brand speaks to you then find a way to pick it up. I wouldn't however give up this Premieres for them.

I went with a Pork Pie bop kit because the brand just spoke to me, and PP seems to be a way off brand here at DFO as well. I think I might be the only PP player on the forum!
Bang those pigs with pride.

Pork Pie makes great kits. Opening band used one at a gig I had at Jupiter in Berkeley many years ago. I still remember how those drums impressed me. Outdoor stage with no mics. Those tubs sounded fabulous.

They also make great, comfortable thrones.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
You're talking about selling the premieres when one of the kits is an SPL???

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd say if you don't want the PDP's bad enough to get rid of the SPL set for them - forget about it.

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
I've never regretted buying gear that I had been hunting. Especially if you can sell it later for at least what you paid.
Do it.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really? 4 kits is a tall order for a 2ksf home.
I just did a quick run-through. My house is 1700sq ft., basically a Chicago bungalow with a full second story. I have about 175 individual drums here, with at least 13 kits currently (most of the difference are future shell banks). I'm not saying everybody's wife is as understanding as mine... but learn to cook and work on your making-goo-goo-eyes game, and you'll be amazed what you can negotiate.

And that's before we even talk the 75-ish cymbals and 30-40-some guitars (depending on how many loose necks and bodies there need to be before you call it "this is an guitar") and the parts pile, oh god, the parts pile.

In all seriousness, supporting each other's fun habits is important. Give and get.

Also, don't sell those Premiers. I missed that in the initial post. Always sell the stuff that's easy to find again.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Your Premier kit is cooler and probably better sounding. Let alone, the floating floor tom issue. If you're gonna replace it, I'd get something that'd be an upgrade.