TALK ME DOWN! I really want this cool maple drum set... BUT I do not have room! WHAT DO I DO?

covinasurf

Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about the floating 14. I put legs on mine. Original PDP parts are very reasonable. It also taught me the 2x4 in a vice technique for drilling drums.
JH

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry about the floating 14. I put legs on mine. Original PDP parts are very reasonable. It also taught me the 2x4 in a vice technique for drilling drums.
JH
Stupid (and OT) question: what is this 2x4 in a vice technique?

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stupid (and OT) question: what is this 2x4 in a vice technique?
Put a 2" x 4" in a vice 2" side up and place the drum shell over the 2"x 4" where you want to drill your holes for support.

notINtheband

Reaction score
I learned a while back, that it wasn’t the next snare drum I was collecting.
It was the feeling I got from the acquisition that I was chasing.
For me the feeling came from my first pawn shop rescue. I picked up an expensive, desirable snare for peanuts and the thrill of that score drove me to collect player-level snares.
I wasn’t interested in shelling out big bucks for collectibles or vintage. I just wanted those deals where you discovered a quality drum and bought it for a song.
I remember the one that broke me of the habit.
Was in Guitar Center and found a used Black Panther Versatis. The drum guys didn’t know what it was and hadn’t priced it.
I asked for a price and they said, $200.
They retailed for about 3 times that if memory serves.
I texted a photo of the drum to my wife and told her the price.
She responded, “….and”
For some reason that dismissal of my excitement was the cold slap I needed.
She knew I had 30 snares and only played 2 or 3 while dust gathered on the wall of drums in our spare bedroom.
I had never looked at my collecting from an outside perspective before that moment.
It was accomplishing nothing for me.
It was scratching a very temporary itch that would simply return the moment this feeling of a score wore off. Then it would be on to another drum, for collecting more dust.
I marvel at others collections.
And I haven’t sold any of my own, yet.
But the desire to add more for me is almost gone. I know I am not chasing drums, but rather chasing that feeling of found treasure.

KingLudwig

Reaction score
You can NEVER go wrong will Bill!(& his staff @porkpie) I've had him work on 1 offs, custom build me some great drums & his edge work is superior! I strongly recommend him without hesitation.

Core Creek

Reaction score
I recently bought an old 3-piece set of Premier XPKs. They were eh, and I didn’t really get a chance to play them. I sold them and almost broke even. The day after I sold them I found a 5-piece set of Yamaha Stage Customs with mounting hardware for a steal. Bought them. They were even more eh. I just traded them locally for a 4-piece set of PdPs and they also tick all the boxes for me - suspended Tom mounts, and 10,12,16,22. I like them enough that I ordered new heads all around and I’m thinking of buying a matching snare. I own 5 other kits. I say get them and decide if you need to sell something else later.

Last edited:

kevmill70

Reaction score
Get them. Move your least favorite set to a practice room somewhere or stack them (or sell them)

bradpants

Reaction score
If you don't want to sell the Premiers, sell one of the others.

You only *need* one, but I have one large shell set (Yamaha Stage Custom 24/13/16) and one small bop kit (16/10/13)

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just might have to get the PDP LX kit... I decided not to sell any I have now. Musical Instruments are my hedge against inflation, don't ya know.

I really do need four sets... two set up to play (Premier kit with 22" kick for rock/recording, SPL kit with 18" kick for jazz practice), then stack two in the tv room to admire.

Nope, no wife here. I get to stack drums in the TV room............

stevesmithfan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don’t live in remorse from selling your gear. I don’t think you should buy on impulse either. How long have you been lusting over this PDP drum kit?

sonicD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rip out the stove and put 'em in the kitchen. Who needs a stove, anyway? You can always go to Taco Bell! :roll:

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s now been four days since you posted.

You might want to get moving, brother.
Yeah, reached out to the guy last night... they are still available. He is asking $500 for 5 drums plus a nice hardware pkg. Really beautiful drums, great shape (although I have not seen them in person yet).

I am gonna offer him $400 for the five drums (includes matching 10 lug snare). I will suggest he keep the 5 piece hardware package. One thing I REALLY do not need is more hardware.

I made stacking space in the upstairs TV room.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Plus, I realize I REALLY DO NEED four sets... here's the breakdown:

1. Premier with 22" kick... set up, mic'ed up for rock practice/recording.

2. PDP... same dimensions/tunings as Premier, stacked and ready to take out for Rock/Country gig that needs loud aggressive kick

3. SPL with 18" kick... set up for jazz practice

4. Yamaha SCB (pictured below in their new resting spot)... similar dimensions/tunings as SPL, stacked and ready to take out for jazz gig that needs high tuning/small footprint.

Please feel free to show your wife/significant other the above list to prove that, indeed, YOU DO NEED FOUR SETS. NOT WANT, NEED!!

DSC_0002.JPG

Last edited: