Talk me off the ledge - have a Ludwig. thinking Gretsch Broadkaster...what is the difference to you.

codydee12

Reaction score
Update as of 8/22: a comparison of the two (I had the two kits to make this about a month after my original post):

Alright, fellow drummer here chasing a sound in his head - I have a beautiful Classic Maple with all roundover edges. It is a killer kit. No complaints....but I have really be enthralled by Gretsch as of late. My first real kit was a Gretsch Renown. I got complements on its sound almost everywhere I played.

Now, I love "vibe" of the Broadkaster. It comes across as vintage kit with lots of character but in modern build form.

The Classic Maple is Sable Black so it's classy and has that Ludwig sound with a bit of added warmth due to the edges.

The sound I have in my head is a warm tone, small drums but with a big sound. When I listed to many Broadkaster videos, there is a funny rumble I hear at the end of the sustain of the toms. Is that just me? But when I hear it in a mix...damn the kits sound killer.

I have fallen in love with the kit particularly from guys like Terence Clark and Mark Guiliana. Another good example is The Black Pumas live video (I recognize he has RootsEQs on the drums).

So...talk me off the ledge. Should I sell the Luddy and get the Broadkaster? I have 20/12/14 and would get the same sizes.

What is the different in "that great Gretsch sound" and that "classic Ludwig sound" to you?

Last edited:

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Normally I'd say get the Gretsch, but with rounded edges on your Ludwigs there wouldn't be as much difference as normal.
Having said that, I agree that vibe is worth something, and maybe you're in the mood for a color change...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
first I'd say understand.. a Gretsch USA Custom..is in and of itself "a vintage" set. It goes back to lets say 1960 thru the 70s 80s and 90s right to today. So it's in that sense too a Vintage sound that still finds it's spot today (and tomorrow)

Now let's go to a "Broadcaster" set (new).
That's an even earlier "vintage" sound the 40s and 50s.

So my point is/was how buried you want to be in a 'vintage sound' or that great gretsch sound. You might think but 'think' first when considering Gretsch, how far you want to go back.. Broadkasters 3P are way back... 6P USA Customs are at least color television (and possibly timeless actually)

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously you should keep the Ludwigs and buy the Broadkasters too. There's your enablement for the day. The Broadkasters definitely have that retro vibe that is SUPER hip right now, especially played like Mark does.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would also keep the Ludwigs.
If you have other sets, extra gear, or any other stuff you can sell, I'd do that.
As well as to save money to put towards the Broadkasters.

If you come to the conclusion that they'd be too much alike to have both, I'd keep the Ludwigs.
But I'm not you, and sometimes you just gotta' do what you have to do.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think I remember when you got this kit…has round-overs AND a 20x12 bass. Am I right?

Man, if those are the drums, I drooled over that kit when you got it.

I think Houndog is right that you should play the Broadkasters. Unless you are just one of those people who always needs to switch out sets every few years.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the great Gretsch sound blossomed in 40s 50s 3P Broadkaster days .....but bloomed in 60s 70s and beyond 6P USAC days.
you have the die cast hoop which moves you a mile away from Ludwigs. (less tune fussing if any ...at all)
You have the secret gum ingredient..
Just be wary being penned in with the 3P sound; I'm not able (it might be me) to see it's use in every modern (you may get into) situations.

In the back of my mind is what Gretsch said (proclaimed?) in their literature at the time. That they improved their drum with the adoption shift to the 6P.
The 3P I see as a very specialized (I could say limited) sound.

Somebody mail me a stick chopper new 3P Broadkaster in 18/12/14 and snare (5 or 6.5 doesn't matter
So I can be sure ;-)
nah nevermind I'm pretty firm on this.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the different in "that great Gretsch sound" and that "classic Ludwig sound" to you?
I'm not sure that's even comparable.
A 3P Broadkaster (if that's what you're calling the great gretsch sound)....would be a better comparison with an entire mahogany WFL set of the mid 50s.
You know the sometimes funny duco ones with limited sizes. 12X15 floor toms etc.

60s and beyond Ludwigs would be with the 6P USAC comparison

So figure that one out.

Last edited:

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the flexibility I get with both my USA's and my Ludwig Classics, those drums can do anything I want/need them to do. I'd agree with others who recommend playing a Broadkaster first before you plunk down big $$. You may notice a big difference between what you hear live underneath you versus the recordings and playings of your influences.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Obviously you should keep the Ludwigs and buy the Broadkasters too. There's your enablement for the day. The Broadkasters definitely have that retro vibe that is SUPER hip right now, especially played like Mark does.
This is agree with. Loved my Broadkasters and wish I still had them. It's was a real stupid thing to unload them. Dumb...

1Broadkaster.JPG

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Keep the Ludwig and add a Gretsch. See if you can find a 60s, 70s one in good shape. Or just find a newer USA custom, but I’ve never played a post 1980 one.

codydee12

Reaction score
I’d really want to play a kit on such a decision .
AGREED! I am thinking about driving to Chatt to hang with another DFO memeber and play my luddy up next to his brodkasters. I have an earlier post asking if anyone in the Carolinas has a Broadkaster. I reached out to Gretsch in SC as well. No luck on either front as of yet.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
While there might be a degree of "mission overlap" between the kits, I would get them and deal with the consequences later. One thing I read on here from time to time is the BroadKasters are amazing drums in a certain, fairly limited tuning range. For that reason, they are probably the Gretsch series I'm least interested in compared to the other Made in USA series.

codydee12

Reaction score
I'm not sure that's even comparable.
A 3P Broadkaster (if that's what you're calling the great gretsch sound)....would be a better comparison with an entire mahogany WFL set of the mid 50s.
You know the sometimes funny duco ones with limited sizes. 12X15 floor toms etc.

60s and beyond Ludwigs would be with the 6P USAC comparison

So figure that one out.
Good point - I have a WFL that I end up doing most of my recording on. I don't really take them out of the studio though. I drove 10 hours to get them (for a great deal) and can't fathom something happening to them.

codydee12

Reaction score
I have 3ply Ludwig Legacy and 3ply Broadkaster with rounded edges. Very similar but the 302 hoops do make a difference.
SHEESH! Talk about drooling....I love the sound of the Legacy's. I decided not to get one at the time of buying the classic maple because I have a WFL kit. It does seem like the diecast hoops are a big game changer. Outside of drum makers all implanting their sound in all their drums regardless of series, that focused tubby sound (Gretsch) vs the more dark tubby sound (luddy) seems to be the one difference I really take notice of.