Talk me off the ledge - have a Ludwig. thinking Gretsch Broadkaster...what is the difference to you.

codydee12

Reaction score
I think I remember when you got this kit…has round-overs AND a 20x12 bass. Am I right?

Man, if those are the drums, I drooled over that kit when you got it.

I think Houndog is right that you should play the Broadkasters. Unless you are just one of those people who always needs to switch out sets every few years.
You caught me ;P
2020-12-03 05.43.39.jpg

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have 3ply Ludwig Legacy and 3ply Broadkaster with rounded edges. Very similar but the 302 hoops do make a difference.
Ooh, that'd be two kits I would like to compare. Maybe add the Legacy mahogany to the mix.
Just few years ago all those shells were exclusively vintage, I hadn't ever seen a Gretsch 3ply in person, and today you can order all those from the catalog.

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
TLDR: Keep the Ludwig. It's a lateral move.
I have a 60's Ludwig downbeat, but I wanted to buy a second kit for my studio. I had my eye on a Broadkaster and tried one out at a drum shop. I changed my mind because it sounded too much like the Ludwig I already have. Instead, I ended up buying a USA custom, which is very different(brighter, more focused). I actually like the Ludwig better overall.

codydee12

Reaction score
Is your black Ludwig kit the last “Vinnie” endorser kit from Bentley’s?
Not sure what that is so I a guessing no. Haha. I ordered this through Ludwig and live on the east coast so no affiliation with Bentley's.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO NOT sell your Ludwigs until you've been able to play the Gretschs. If it were me I'd bring my Ludwig bass drum and one tom along so I could do a side-by-side comparison. You never know what kind of audio tomfoolery has been applied to videos you see in the interwebs, and I'd never trust videos alone.

Like most here, I suggest that you keep the Ludwigs and add the Gretschs. But don't spend the $$$ without hearing them in person.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Broadkasters took me a while to figure out and find their sweet spot. But now they're dialed in to my liking, they have a unique vibe and an infectious, distinctive tone that keeps on growing on me. I can't tell you to sell your Luddy's, but I can't discourage you from purchasing a second fairly expensive drumset either... Try to get some seat time behind a BK set and well see/feel for yourself...
20210716_230247.jpg

Last edited:

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st thing's 1st. Do what you can to take them for a test-ride 1st. Especially if they're gonna live at home and not gigged. Personally, before I bought my 1st set of Recording Customs, I rented a kit and took them home to hear them out. Spent about two-weeks with any kit I intended to purchase. I've used Recording Customs many times as they were a standard in the recording studios I did sessions. I'm glad I didn't buy them as they didn't quite give me what I was looking for in my home. Maple Customs and Artstars did the trick. They gave me a wider tuning range without going to crap. My case is different than most. Most folks have a 'coffee' table, a couch or recliners, big screen, etc. in the middle of their living room. I have my drum set. It is the center of attention. It was on a rolling riser. I'm having an aluminum circular truss with 4-inch casters made by my fabricator/machinist/welder/bassist/keyboardist brother. The first one was painted chrome-moly back in '93. The only thing missing will be an arena. I would advise to keep what you know best (the Ludwigs) and take a test-ride on what you intend to replace them with. I didn't mind spending the extra bucks to rent my next kit to see if they are a proper fit. I've done that with all of my 1st purchase of a brand. Bottom line, keep those Ludwigs!

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO NOT sell your Ludwigs until you've been able to play the Gretschs. If it were me I'd bring my Ludwig bass drum and one tom along so I could do a side-by-side comparison. You never know what kind of audio tomfoolery has been applied to videos you see in the interwebs, and I'd never trust videos alone.

Like most here, I suggest that you keep the Ludwigs and add the Gretschs. But don't spend the $$$ without hearing them in person.
Absolute truth! Best advice yet!

sternerp

Reaction score
Keep the Ludwig and also get the Gretsch. If you get into a cash crunch, you might have to make a decision and sell one of them.

I have a 2012 Gretsch New Classic Bop that I absolutely love, and use it as my gigging kit. It's the closest I've ever gotten to the sound of a Gretsch USA kit.

I also have a 1968 Ludwig Hollywood that I keep in my home studio for practice and rehearsals. I love that kit because it was a childhood dream to own a '60's Ludwig that I finally fulfilled a few years ago. And it also had something to do with getting to see the Beatles in 1966 when I was eleven.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
first I'd say understand.. a Gretsch USA Custom..is in and of itself "a vintage" set. It goes back to lets say 1960 thru the 70s 80s and 90s right to today. So it's in that sense too a Vintage sound that still finds it's spot today (and tomorrow)

Now let's go to a "Broadcaster" set (new).
That's an even earlier "vintage" sound the 40s and 50s.

So my point is/was how buried you want to be in a 'vintage sound' or that great gretsch sound. You might think but 'think' first when considering Gretsch, how far you want to go back.. Broadkasters 3P are way back... 6P USA Customs are at least color television (and possibly timeless actually)
1627444170116.png

"The quality goes in before the name goes on!"

codydee12

Reaction score
Keep the Ludwig and also get the Gretsch. If you get into a cash crunch, you might have to make a decision and sell one of them.

I have a 2012 Gretsch New Classic Bop that I absolutely love, and use it as my gigging kit. It's the closest I've ever gotten to the sound of a Gretsch USA kit.

I also have a 1968 Ludwig Hollywood that I keep in my home studio for practice and rehearsals. I love that kit because it was a childhood dream to own a '60's Ludwig that I finally fulfilled a few years ago. And it also had something to do with getting to see the Beatles in 1966 when I was eleven.
I have debated on doing this as well. Just don't want $4k tied up when baby #2 is on the way. I talked with a dealer yesterday who suggested to just buy the Broadkaster and then decide to sell the Luddy if I like the Gretsch....or just return the Broadkaster since the big box stores have a 30 day guarantee usually. Feels a bit off to buy the kit...a custom kit...to then turn around and return it if I am not a fan. BUT it's not the worst logic I have ever heard.

Still just want to put my hands on the kit. Seems like I am booking a trip to TN in the next few weeks to hang with a DFO'er with the kit and check out the sounds - ludwig and gretsch side by side.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have debated on doing this as well. Just don't want $4k tied up when baby #2 is on the way. I talked with a dealer yesterday who suggested to just buy the Broadkaster and then decide to sell the Luddy if I like the Gretsch....or just return the Broadkaster since the big box stores have a 30 day guarantee usually. Feels a bit off to buy the kit...a custom kit...to then turn around and return it if I am not a fan. BUT it's not the worst logic I have ever heard.

Still just want to put my hands on the kit. Seems like I am booking a trip to TN in the next few weeks to hang with a DFO'er with the kit and check out the sounds - ludwig and gretsch side by side.
Well, seems like you've got a plan. Both a test drive AND a fool-proof 30 days money back guarantee.

Depending on your degree of experience, adaptability and/or tuning ability, it may or may not take you more than that to really get comfortable enough on the Gretsch to be confident about listing your Ludwigs. It sure took me a while. But now that I have a better idea about what these do and don't do, I could envision myself owning the BK's as my only kit and not feeling like I'm "missing" anything.

Good luck and I'm curious to hear your first impressions and take away on the test run.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Copper Mist. Still available.

Last edited:

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just sold a Gretsch Broadkaster 16x16 floor tom because it sucked. Honestly my brother-in-law's Yamaha stage custom had more tone and sustain. The G was just flat and lifeless. You can always muffle down your Ludwig to flatten out the sound, but you can't coax life out of a dead drum.

Plus the G was freakin' HEAVY.

codydee12

Reaction score
Well, seems like you've got a plan. Both a test drive AND a fool-proof 30 days money back guarantee.

Depending on your degree of experience, adaptability and/or tuning ability, it may or may not take you more than that to really get comfortable enough on the Gretsch to be confident about listing your Ludwigs. It sure took me a while. But now that I have a better idea about what these do and don't do, I could envision myself owning the BK's as my only kit and not feeling like I'm "missing" anything.

Good luck and I'm curious to hear your first impressions and take away on the test run.
That is a good thing to keep in mind - I usually keep extra heads around and chase different tones often so I am hoping that it won't take me too long. It helps when you get folks around DFO to chime in with their experience in knowing what to look for/keep in mind.