Talk me off the ledge - have a Ludwig. thinking Gretsch Broadkaster...what is the difference to you.

codydee12

Reaction score
I just sold a Gretsch Broadkaster 16x16 floor tom because it sucked. Honestly my brother-in-law's Yamaha stage custom had more tone and sustain. The G was just flat and lifeless. You can always muffle down your Ludwig to flatten out the sound, but you can't coax life out of a dead drum.

Plus the G was freakin' HEAVY.
You are the first to chime in with a negative experience so let's dive in! I want to hear the good and the bad about the kit. Do you have other toms from the Brodkaster series that you kept and it was just the 16? What was the sound you were chasing - more like an open jazz sound tuned higher, a lower round/warm sound like the 70s rock hits, or maybe the more modern cutting rich tone with a decent amount of sustain?

codydee12

Reaction score
it sounds good with it, but I’m amazed at how low that drum can go!
That is good to know! I have a WFL kit that I wish I had a 14 and a 16 floor tom. But finding a 14 and not selling your house to buy it is pretty hard to come by. I have messed with the idea of getting an older name brand or round badge and buying a new brodkaster tom in the size that doesn't come with the kit. Glad to hear the tone matched up. I wouldn't want to spend the money to have two toms that sound like they are from two kits.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have debated on doing this as well. Just don't want $4k tied up when baby #2 is on the way. I talked with a dealer yesterday who suggested to just buy the Broadkaster and then decide to sell the Luddy if I like the Gretsch....or just return the Broadkaster since the big box stores have a 30 day guarantee usually. Feels a bit off to buy the kit...a custom kit...to then turn around and return it if I am not a fan. BUT it's not the worst logic I have ever heard.

Still just want to put my hands on the kit. Seems like I am booking a trip to TN in the next few weeks to hang with a DFO'er with the kit and check out the sounds - ludwig and gretsch side by side.
If in a similar position I would make sure the fine print doesn’t block a full return on a custom ordered item.

C Ce

Reaction score
This is agree with. Loved my Broadkasters and wish I still had them. It's was a real stupid thing to unload them. Dumb...

View attachment 510336
Oh my!!!!! :love4: Love these How could you ever sell??!!!??? You’re breaking my heart! :(
A buddy of mine got these and oh when I played them I was “in love”……..the sound!

codydee12

Reaction score
I tapped around on a Broadkaster kit yesterday.The 22 blew my mind...made me wanna unload my classic maples Ludwigs...
Fill me in - what area a few of the highlights that make you question selling the Luddy's or not.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You are the first to chime in with a negative experience so let's dive in! I want to hear the good and the bad about the kit. Do you have other toms from the Brodkaster series that you kept and it was just the 16? What was the sound you were chasing - more like an open jazz sound tuned higher, a lower round/warm sound like the 70s rock hits, or maybe the more modern cutting rich tone with a decent amount of sustain?
The 16 on mine sure ain't dead. It has tons of boom and sustain in low-to-mid tunings (I don't play jazz so can't comment on higher tunings though)

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just had the 16x16. I bought it to match a Gretsch bass drum I have. I will say that part of it is that I don't care for square floor toms. That being said, I had it up next to a 3-ply Slingerland (early 70's) and Yamaha Stage Custom (both 16x16 as well), and the Gretsch was the least impressive.

I like a smooth boomy sound from my 16" floor toms, with a bit of sustain - something that fills the space. I tried both a coated Ambassador and Emperor on the top, and both a coated and clear Ambassador on the bottom. I held it by the rim, and set it on its legs. The Gretsch just sounded wonky - weird overtones, not much fulness, not much sustain. I did manage to get it somewhat dialed in at one point, but the tuning range was so narrow that it wouldn't have much versatility. As a contrast, the Slingerland could be tuned up and down to change the pitch, but the characteristics remained the same.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fill me in - what area a few of the highlights that make you question selling the Luddy's or not.
the 22 had a depth of boom that I didn't expect.the toms just felt & sounded more "alive" to me.the 6.5 snare had a vintage vibe sound...just FUN to sit down & play...maybe the newness of the sound is what lit me up about them...this was at Badges Drum Shop north of Cincinnati...

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I’m keeping it real simple, Ludwig mojo is strong, but Gretsch is even cooler.

Going down the rabbit hole more than that might not be needed. They’re gonna be similar kits but Gretsch is just cooler.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just sold a Gretsch Broadkaster 16x16 floor tom because it sucked. Honestly my brother-in-law's Yamaha stage custom had more tone and sustain. The G was just flat and lifeless. You can always muffle down your Ludwig to flatten out the sound, but you can't coax life out of a dead drum.

Plus the G was freakin' HEAVY.
Man, my Renown 16x16 is a heavy beast. The floor tom legs are heavier than any others I’ve had and the hoops don’t help. The drum without all the hardware isn’t bad, compared to a certain German shell maker.

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well..you have one of the most interesting unique and awesome sounding kits in the ludwig, yet you want something else. Welcome to modern life. Have plenty..yet want more. So..instead of talking of you off the ledge, I will be Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon and drag you off the ledge with me..buy the ticket..take the ride..on the g.a.s. rollercoaster..

this is the best "jazz" y sound i've heard from them

super cute vid but also best rock sound i've heard from these kits

codydee12

Reaction score
I just had the 16x16. I bought it to match a Gretsch bass drum I have. I will say that part of it is that I don't care for square floor toms. That being said, I had it up next to a 3-ply Slingerland (early 70's) and Yamaha Stage Custom (both 16x16 as well), and the Gretsch was the least impressive.

I like a smooth boomy sound from my 16" floor toms, with a bit of sustain - something that fills the space. I tried both a coated Ambassador and Emperor on the top, and both a coated and clear Ambassador on the bottom. I held it by the rim, and set it on its legs. The Gretsch just sounded wonky - weird overtones, not much fulness, not much sustain. I did manage to get it somewhat dialed in at one point, but the tuning range was so narrow that it wouldn't have much versatility. As a contrast, the Slingerland could be tuned up and down to change the pitch, but the characteristics remained the same.
Second person I have heard talking about the versatility of the slingerland stuff this week. I’ve never owned a slingerland kit but it seems like a sleeper in the vintage market - seems like a good bang for your dollar.

codydee12

Reaction score
the 22 had a depth of boom that I didn't expect.the toms just felt & sounded more "alive" to me.the 6.5 snare had a vintage vibe sound...just FUN to sit down & play...maybe the newness of the sound is what lit me up about them...this was at Badges Drum Shop north of Cincinnati...
The Broadkaster 6.5 snare is killer to me. I have played a handful of those and man that have such a woody tone. I love it.

codydee12

Reaction score
Well..you have one of the most interesting unique and awesome sounding kits in the ludwig, yet you want something else. Welcome to modern life. Have plenty..yet want more. So..instead of talking of you off the ledge, I will be Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon and drag you off the ledge with me..buy the ticket..take the ride..on the g.a.s. rollercoaster..

this is the best "jazz" y sound i've heard from them

super cute vid but also best rock sound i've heard from these kits

You are exactly right!! Never content…it’s a trait I wish I didn’t live with.

Gosh both those kits sound fantastic! Thanks for sharing these!

i have certainly been chasing down all the videos available. Unfortunately, I have done the same in the past without getting to really mess with a drum and regretted buying it even though I see several folks with the drum. So it’s good to have all the feedback on here with their hands on experience as well.

HowardW

Reaction score
I have 3ply Ludwig Legacy and 3ply Broadkaster with rounded edges. Very similar but the 302 hoops do make a difference.
I have both also, and agree. But to add, the difference can be modified even further with tuning. I've found my 1958 Gretsch has a wider range of tuning, but prefers going higher with high resonance. My Ludwigs are great too, but prefer going lower and don't like to be as resonant. I also space the intervals differently, like this:

12" tom (using A fundamental tone, tuned with Tunebot, Evans G1 coated heads on batter, clear on reso)
Ludwig: 165 batter, 215 reso
Gretsch: 183 batter, 195 reso

To the OP: buy both! Both sets have a different feel to them, and adapt to different music better. (But if I was FORCED to choose, I would go Gretsch.)

codydee12

Reaction score
I have both also, and agree. But to add, the difference can be modified even further with tuning. I've found my 1958 Gretsch has a wider range of tuning, but prefers going higher with high resonance. My Ludwigs are great too, but prefer going lower and don't like to be as resonant. I also space the intervals differently, like this:

12" tom (using A fundamental tone, tuned with Tunebot, Evans G1 coated heads on batter, clear on reso)
Ludwig: 165 batter, 215 reso
Gretsch: 183 batter, 195 reso

To the OP: buy both! Both sets have a different feel to them, and adapt to different music better. (But if I was FORCED to choose, I would go Gretsch.)
Thanks for the input! It's helpful to hear from someone who has both kits. It's interesting to hear that you prefer the Gretsch tuned higher. Most of the guys I hear play Broadkasters have them tuned pretty low and tubby. Makes me wonder just how freaking good that luddy must sound tuned low. The legacy series sounds so warm relative to the classic maple. I think I would have less of a predicament had I gone with legacy originally The rounded over edges on the classic maple certainly give a more preferred feel but still lacks a bit of the warmth and roundness I hear in the legacy now.

codydee12

Reaction score
If in a similar position I would make sure the fine print doesn’t block a full return on a custom ordered item.
Seems as if the Gretsch guy was a little overzealous in his comment....
The following products cannot be returned – ....both custom/special orders and items we don’t stock.

I reached out to their GC customer service as well who also confirmed I would not be able to return it. Hah.