Taller Gretsch Rail Consolette Post?

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm wondering if anyone knows this. Attached is a pic of the standard 1960s Gretsch Rail Consollete post.

I have this exact set, and I also have a ludwig labeled post that is taller and fits the rail. This is good for me because I like the mounted tom a little higher than the Gretsch post allows.

Question: I know these were made by W&A and used by many companies.

But.....did they make a taller post that fits the Gretsch rail, that is NOT labeled "ludwig"? I'd be really interested in finding one of those to authentically complete my set.

Thanks!!
Retro

Attachments

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi Crash....thanks, but I'm looking for a 50s/60s post.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can't say for certain but it seems that Gretsch tended to use that shorter version and then if the drummer needed the tom higher he used a spade arm with a longer arm and oriented to be used vertically.

On my RB sets I've replaced the uprights with either a Ludwig or Maxwell as the design with the ratchet that Ludwig switched to around 1967 is far superior to the earlier "telephone dial" angle adjustment. The Maxwell is a copy of the Ludwig minus the small engraved logo. I know that's not what you want to use but if you're gigging it's so much easier to deal with.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
You 'd have to look on the 70s catalogs on the four point rail; maybe one can be spotted there; I can't recall; and Like KO says it's a fact of life; the Ludwig strap on the Gretsch (hot) Dog.

That's the trouble with (some,many) old Gretsch...(wait for it... "There's always a Ludwig (stamped) part on it somewhere" ;; )

(I said old not new....

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't think anything here (I looked earlier) helps you (but does illustrate the two height ;; )

Looks like there's a name on that tall one under the sludge----!--Actually it's on the backside Ludwig..It's on the Inside ?! (get me out of here. getting too involved for my drummer brain according to the memri chart..

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Gretsch did have a taller one for 20”s with the regular spade and 18”s with the long spade vertically (y’know, except when they didn’t). I keep mine in a ziploc bag for if/when I sell and have the Maxwell Ludwig copy on the drum because it works a zillion times better.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thank you KO, JDA and Captain. Thats excellent information.

KO, you are 100% right that the Ludwig "ratchet" job (thats on my taller post) is better functionally. I just think its looks wrong (I know, I'm a nut...)

But thanks much for the info. At least now I know Gretsch did indeed have a taller one. Thats what I suspected.
The long spade used vertically has never floated my boat, personally. Just looks weird to me.

I may scoop up those two in the pic that JDA sent. They look rough tho. Wont really go well with my restored RB bass drum. I'll have to see. But thanks much!!!

I'd be Ok with the Ludwig "Telephone Dial" post if anyone has one. That looks much more period correct
I'll trade my "Ratchet" type plus $20 if anyone wants.

thanks
Retro

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd be Ok with the Ludwig "Telephone Dial" post if anyone has one. That looks much more period correct
I'll trade my "Ratchet" type plus $20 if anyone wants.

thanks
Retro
If I have a "Telephone Dial" one in my stash (I probably do) I'd be willing to make that swap.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I have a "Telephone Dial" one in my stash (I probably do) I'd be willing to make that swap.

Hi KO. Thank you for responding. Please let me know if you have one and the condition. Lets exchange pics. Thanks! Retro.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi KO. Thank you for responding. Please let me know if you have one and the condition. Lets exchange pics. Thanks! Retro.
Will check for one tonight after work and pm you a picture if I do.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Awesome Kevin, and thank you for the effort. I know its hard to find stuff we have squirelled away. I once found a small box of drum parts in the back of my kitchen cabinets! Forgot I had put it there!

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm wondering if anyone knows this. Attached is a pic of the standard 1960s Gretsch Rail Consollete post.

I have this exact set, and I also have a ludwig labeled post that is taller and fits the rail. This is good for me because I like the mounted tom a little higher than the Gretsch post allows.

Question: I know these were made by W&A and used by many companies.

But.....did they make a taller post that fits the Gretsch rail, that is NOT labeled "ludwig"? I'd be really interested in finding one of those to authentically complete my set.

Thanks!!
Retro
Hi Retro!

While these W&A rail consolettes are always the weak point, I understand why you want to keep it. What you might try is a longer spade rod, which is offered by Maxwell. I used a new Maxwell rail on my 1967 Slingerland kit, with the long rod and spade.

-Mark

Attachments

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi Mark! Thank you for your post and suggestion. Its a ridiculous thing on my part, but I've just never liked the look of the long spade. It looks like I'll be getting the taller "telephone dial" post from Forum buddy KO in a trade, so I'll be very happy with that, as it will allow me to use the short spade and the drum will still look 1950s period correct. I realize how nutty it all sounds, but if I'm able to retain the authentic look, I'd like to.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
If KO doesn't have one, I might have one. Will check tonight.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Had the tall spade, rail was down low 50’s style , worked like a charm ( Cherrie Willoughby remember her sold all things Gretsch )
CAB6B8CE-318F-4B1A-AE94-29469FABF483.jpeg

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I picked up a 60's Round badge kit last summer I ordered a new vintage Gretsch rail system. It came with the long and short spade. I set the original parts aside. The long spade gives you lots more positioning possibilities, IMO.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm sure its fine, I just never liked the look of the long spade. Anyhow, KO has come to the rescue and we have made a nice trade, so all is great.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a taller one that isn't marked in any way. Unfortunately the "telephone dial" on that one is not attached properly to the upright. I don't know the origin of it, possibly Gretsch or Slingerland but there's a slim possibility it was from an import set.