Tama 1979 Superstar 7 pieces (Made in Japan)

ThomasMark

Reaction score
I am am the original owner of a set of TAMA natural woodgrain drums purchased at LRC music in Windsor Ontario in 1979. They are in good shape and are either birch or maple not sure? (Serial # is 89787-Made in Japan)
The set consists of 7 pieces. (1 Base 24", 4 rack Toms (12",13",14",15") and 2 floor Toms (16" and 18"). All TOMS were designed for over sized heads and no bottom skins. The set seems to be quite unique as I can't seem to find any on-line for reference. I would like to sell them as I no longer have space for them and currently play an electronic set.
I also have the original Tama boom stand for two of the rack toms, a set of 14" Zildjian hi-hats and Tama Stand, two Zildjian Cymbals (ride/crash) with Tama Boom Stands, and a 14" Ludwig snare that I purchased with the set.
The TAMA shells are in good shape. The rest of the set is showing it's age but still function fine.
The kit sounds great!
unnamed.jpg

I am looking for advice on their potential value, and the best way to sell them. I live in Essex County (southern Ontario)

Attachments

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That indeed is a unique kit! Seems to have the lugs and rim sizing associated with gong basses, and a few timbale toms available at the time. I don't recall ever seeing an entire kit outfitted that way. Perhaps TamaCW can chime in.

Can we see more pics pls? I do see a diagonal seam, which TAMA is famous for. Certainly birch shells, like almost all Tama Superstars of that period.

ThomasMark

Reaction score
That indeed is a unique kit! Seems to have the lugs and rim sizing associated with gong basses, and a few timbale toms available at the time. I don't recall ever seeing an entire kit outfitted that way. Perhaps TamaCW can chime in.

Can we see more pics pls? I do see a diagonal seam, which TAMA is famous for. Certainly birch shells, like almost all Tama Superstars of that period.
Thanks for the feedback. I will get some more close up pics later today and post them.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've seen kits with a couple of the gong/timbale type batter heads/mounting for mounted toms.....but not anything close to a full set like this one. Didn't even know Tama made 16/18 floor toms like this.

Essentially a concert tom kit.....with a twist....and more valuable of course. Certainly very unusual. As I recall that head mounting made for a quick head change in the event you broke a head or wanted something different on there between sets.

Attach the photos at the end of each post. And you can post them as in "enlarged" format here with a key stroke.

Last edited:

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
single head toms with deep shell sizes do not sell well.
Fashion is so fickle in the drum industry these days.

kallen49

Reaction score
I live near Toronto. I'd list them on kijiji, (there are 227 listings for YAMAHA on kijiji Ontario), and on Facebook marketplace, which is more popular than ever but perhaps gear there is more low end. You'd probably get more selling the cymbals separately.
FWIW, a local friend who has bought and resold quite a few drum collections in recent years says the market has dried up recently.
And yep, those are probably nice shells but concert toms not as popular as they were in the '70's.

on kijiji today, asking $1200, is this kit but, as the ad says, has "cool sizes"

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
The superstar mounted toms are 6 ply birch in the super maple finish. The whole kit is birch.

The toms are standard sized....not deep or power sized. That's a plus when mounting 12, 13, and 14 toms on a 24" bass drum. I always found the 15 and/or 16 mounted toms to be rather big and cumbersome.
12,13,14,16,18 is more than enough toms with decent spacing.

There are plenty of people purchasing concert tom kits these days....I've had and sold 3 of them in the past 2 yrs....including my larger 1980 Tama Supermaple kit seen in my icon photo (8,10,12,13,14,15,16,18,24).
The cymbals to me look to be 1950's Zildjians....I'd figure them in the $350-$450 but more info would be needed (stamp photos, weights, condition).

You'll get the least percentage amount of money selling this as an entire kit....usually only 55-70% of the itemized value. That's because most people don't want all that stuff (at market prices) or don't have the money to buy it all. Kits putter out above the $800-$1200 level for
most buyers. But you aren't looking for most buyers....just one. Hence, parting out hardware and cymbals and snare would benefit you. Some would only keep a smaller kit together like 12,13,16,24. Then sell the 18 and 14,15 separately.
I think it's a cool kit and if it were me, I'd try to keep your legacy intact with all 7 Tama drums. That style of kit is so hard to find that a price for the 7 drums could be in the $1000-$1500. It's not like anyone else has them for sale.

Last edited:

healthie1

Reaction score
I don't know if he'd be keen, but there's a prominent youtube/instagram content drummer named rDavidr who has a set in 13/16/18/24 who might be interested.

ThomasMark

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies it’s been very helpful. I will clean them up and just sell all the Tama shells. I’m not looking for a lot of $ but really wanted to put them out there for the enthusiast, since they seem to be kinda rare. You know the saying,”one persons trash is another persons treasure”. They have sure held up well for 42 years and really have a huge sound.