Tama 2019 Starclassic Walnut/Birch & more

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Saturns were Maple/Walnut. Did they utilize birch at some point? Bet they sounded sweet.
There was (is?) a Special Edition Saturn that was birch/walnut. There’s actually a sweet deal on one right now in the for sale section (not mine).

Edit: Never mind — guess it just sold.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here is a coverage on new Tama products from Dutch drum magazine Slagwerkkrant. It´s in Dutch but you can also see the SLP Big Black Steel drumkit limited edition at 4:15

Some nice new colours in the Star series ; Bubinga, Maple and Walnut series. Tama are NOT discontinuing the Star Bubinga series:

Grand Royal Blue:
grand royal blue.png

Solid Candy Apple:
Solid Candy apple star.png

Superstar Neo Mod kit, 20x10", 7x12" 9x13":
Neo mod.png

And finally Solid Piano Black is available in all Star series:
Solid black.png

Last edited:

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama is knocking it out of the park the last few years.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Bandit, I'm sure, can confirm if I'm correct or not...but I believe the kit Dom drops the hammer on at 38'00'' in this video is the special edition Mapex Saturn birch/walnut kit. I'm going by the finish on this. I think that mossy green fade was exclusive to the B/W kits.

Always a pleasure watching and listening to Dom. He's inspiring.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Incredible. Price and size options?
I think the size options are just this kit; 22”13”16”. It’s a limited run.

If the kit price is in line with the SLP snare ($249) it should be on the low side.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
There was (is?) a Special Edition Saturn that was birch/walnut. There’s actually a sweet deal on one right now in the for sale section (not mine).

Edit: Never mind — guess it just sold.
There was a special edition that came out in two colours for one year. Yellow ocher burst, and figured Sienna Fade. I ended up with kits in both. Shortly after they came out with four new fade, figured colours.

cutaway79

Reaction score
I find it odd that Tama made both the Acrylic, and this new steel kit, as cheaper lines. If that steel kit (or the acrylic) was a Starclassic, that would be sweet!

Balance

Reaction score
Price lists yet?

Funny-- I wish they'd have a couple more conservative finishes in the Performer line. They're very tempting, still, but if they'd had a straight natural Walnut I'd probably be on the phone with a dealer checking on prices already.
Not a fan of hybrids either. Different woods have different tones, if I want a certain characteristic, I want that to be 100%!

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not a fan of hybrids either. Different woods have different tones, if I want a certain characteristic, I want that to be 100%!
At least on snare drum metal+wood hybrids work amazingly well. Haven't really tried wood hybrids, do can't comment on those .

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
15" floor toms
Doubtful. Although, as I have said for about two years now, if Tama would offer a 15" tom in any of the Starclassic series of drums I would own probably two Tama kits by now. I have loved the Starclassic since I first laid eyes on them at 14 (1994) in an issue of MD. And before anyone says something about it; no you can't special order 15" drums from Japan. I have checked with no less than 5 reputable Tama dealers and they have all said you cannot get 15" Starclassic toms.

This new shell make up has certainly peaked my interest. I agree that I wish they would have just offered "natural birch" I would be all over that, the vintage WMP finish is pretty cool though.

dje31

Reaction score
Doubtful. Although, as I have said for about two years now, if Tama would offer a 15" tom in any of the Starclassic series of drums I would own probably two Tama kits by now. I have loved the Starclassic since I first laid eyes on them at 14 (1994) in an issue of MD. And before anyone says something about it; no you can't special order 15" drums from Japan. I have checked with no less than 5 reputable Tama dealers and they have all said you cannot get 15" Starclassic toms.
I know it doesn't help, but I believe they offer 15" toms in the top-shelf Star lines...at least they used to. Pity, because I love my 15" Starclassic Performer 12x15.

cutaway79

Reaction score
Kind of a funny quote from someone named "Balance" :D

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you've got a point with this. I mean, the differences are so minuscule anyway that layering different types of wood is just going to dilute what each has to offer. That being said, I'm not going to not buy a drum because it has a hybrid shell. I'm going to listen and make a choice based on what my ears tell me, not based on shell materials.

Latest posts