Tama 2019 Starclassic Walnut/Birch & more

cutaway79

Reaction score
... That being said, I'm not going to not buy a drum because it has a hybrid shell. I'm going to listen and make a choice based on what my ears tell me, not based on shell materials.
+1

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Not a fan of hybrids either. Different woods have different tones, if I want a certain characteristic, I want that to be 100%!
And likewise, blends of different woods would have their own unique tones. Using different woods is a proven practice. The 100% goal is a bit random anyway as materials like wood, have many tonal characteristics and can vary tree by tree. If you get a drum made out of high quality and matched wood plies in terms of quality, whether they are purely one type or a hybrid blend, it can have many tonal qualities that are inherent to that blend of the varied wood types, which are then affected by shell thickness, bearing edges, hardware, heads, and overall construction.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like I will getting my first Walnut/Birch Tama mid February. The old faithful Molten Brown Burst :). I lost count of how many B/Bs I sold in that finish.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I may be repeating this but my drum shop told me the reason Tama’s reducing bubinga is because it’s on the endangered species list.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know it doesn't help, but I believe they offer 15" toms in the top-shelf Star lines...at least they used to. Pity, because I love my 15" Starclassic Performer 12x15.
Yes they do offer 15's in all the Star lines of drums just not in Starclassic.

bonehead

Reaction score
Saw the five piece Starclassic Walnut Birch on Sweetwater...Molton brown and phantasm oyster...nice price...about 1/2 the price of a DW Collector

musiqman

Reaction score

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Still no other major demos on these yet. Sweetwater has some junk with the guy from Tama, but no Nick yet.

hector48

Reaction score
Very nice.
Personally, I couldn't really tell a difference in the tone of the Walnut vs the Bubinga.
Maybe a little in the bass drums, but the one was 18" deep vs. 16" deep.
Like Shane says, both are great!

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man that was a great video! I'm surprised. A LOT. I thought for sure that the walnut would come up short sound-wise compared to the old shell, but the tone sounds just as fat, but more focused and direct. These are a MAJOR bargain in sound.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Impressive kits for sure. The vertical Walnut grain on the inside is really nice. Inside as good as the outside. I particularly love the 16 deep bass as opposed to the 18. Tama did well.
53516205_2301335143523738_8482648950350807040_n.jpg

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 24" bass is an 18", which is awesome as far as I'm concerned. The thinner the shell, the better depth works. I played a B/B floor kit at Guitar Center and could not believe that the bass drum sounded like it did with ZERO muffling. Just a regular EQ4 which is a 10mil SINGLE ply and a Tama reso head with no hole. Sharp attack, warm punch, and a quick sustain. That's pretty amazing.

towndog

Reaction score
Impressive kits for sure. The vertical Walnut grain on the inside is really nice. Inside as good as the outside. I particularly love the 16 deep bass as opposed to the 18. Tama did well.View attachment 389450
I love that Molten Brown Burst finish. Also if you order the 3 piece shell kit the bass drum is only 14" deep for all of us who prefer 14" depth..