Tama 2019 Starclassic Walnut/Birch & more

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They need to do a pre-packaged bop kit in these drums. If they could get the price within striking distance of the Renown kits, they'd make a killing. But right now a 12/14/18 is 1699 or so, and that's only a so-so selling point. An $1199 bop kit would sell like hotcakes, especially given how great their lightweight hardware is.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They need to do a pre-packaged bop kit in these drums. If they could get the price within striking distance of the Renown kits, they'd make a killing. But right now a 12/14/18 is 1699 or so, and that's only a so-so selling point. An $1199 bop kit would sell like hotcakes, especially given how great their lightweight hardware is.
Well what about DW ? Why not tell them to make a Performance bop kit for $1199 ?? And the Yamaha Live Custom.. let's tell them to go ahead with the bop kit for $1199 ! THey will sell like hotcakes.. ! Let's tell them !! LOL

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dude, they're selling 3 piece kits with big drums (12/16/22) for like $1399. My request is not the least bit unreasonable. LOL! Keep condescending! Looks good on you.. ! LOL

Well what about DW ? Why not tell them to make a Performance bop kit for $1199 ?? And the Yamaha Live Custom.. let's tell them to go ahead with the bop kit for $1199 ! THey will sell like hotcakes.. ! Let's tell them !! LOL

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dude, they're selling 3 piece kits with big drums (12/16/22) for like $1399. My request is not the least bit unreasonable. LOL! Keep condescending! Looks good on you.. ! LOL
Dude.. take it easy.. At least think of the one major factor between these sets.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyway, as I was saying: Having one of their default configurations be a bop kit would be a winning proposition, especially at the price point they're working with.

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about these drums is that there is not one finish available that I could buy "off the rack" and be happy with. There are some nice finishes, there are some finishes that I even like, but none that I would hold on to. I would have to buy a wrapped kit and get it re-wrapped to meet my long term needs.

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about these drums is that there is not one finish available that I could buy "off the rack" and be happy with. There are some nice finishes, there are some finishes that I even like, but none that I would hold on to. I would have to buy a wrapped kit and get it re-wrapped to meet my long term needs.
Agreed, to an extent: I'm surprised at how few of the finishes work for me. I'd probably end up with the solid black-- my very first decent kit was a red badge Tama Swingstar in black, so I've got an emotional resonance there.

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Agreed, to an extent: I'm surprised at how few of the finishes work for me. I'd probably end up with the solid black-- my very first decent kit was a red badge Tama Swingstar in black, so I've got an emotional resonance there.
Unfortunately for me, my last TWO kits were black, so that's a no-go. I just can't win! :(

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I've been taking a closer look at those finishes too. The molten brown burst is beautiful in some pics...but I winder if it's going to get old. It's very busy. Their hardware looks great and I think they sound beautiful. It's making it a tough decision.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been taking a closer look at those finishes too. The molten brown burst is beautiful in some pics...but I winder if it's going to get old. It's very busy. Their hardware looks great and I think they sound beautiful. It's making it a tough decision.
Thinking of going to the dark side are you?

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Thinking of going to the dark side are you?
Yeah, I want a pro level kit. I think I've finally earned it. LOL I want something different from maple however, which rules out the current Saturn. The Black Panther Versatus sounds amazing, but it's outside my price range. So I've been poking into Tama with their version of the birch/walnut combo Mapex issued years ago and Yamaha with their new Oak Hybrid.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I want a pro level kit. I think I've finally earned it. LOL I want something different from maple however, which rules out the current Saturn. The Black Panther Versatus sounds amazing, but it's outside my price range. So I've been poking into Tama with their version of the birch/walnut combo Mapex issued years ago and Yamaha with their new Oak Hybrid.
Just remember it is the inside wood that does most of the sound shaping.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Meaning in the middle of the sandwich, like a Saturn or the interior layer like the Tama B/W?
I think you are a little bit confused. Saturn has outer plies of Maple, and inner plies of Walnut. The Velvetone has Walnut sandwiched between inner and outer plies of Maple.
I have the limited edition Saturn's that are the same as the new Tama. Birch on the outside, and Walnut on the inside. They are louder than my standard Saturn's, but not as warm.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I think you are a little bit confused. Saturn has outer plies of Maple, and inner plies of Walnut. The Velvetone has Walnut sandwiched between inner and outer plies of Maple.
I have the limited edition Saturn's that are the same as the new Tama. Birch on the outside, and Walnut on the inside. They are louder than my standard Saturn's, but not as warm.
Thank you. You're right, I was thinking of the Velvetones. I loved those kits.

Mike St.Clair

Reaction score
The 4 pc kit in any finish is $1699 and GC is offering 15% off on a call in order. I'm looking at these, the SLP Kapurs, and the newest blue lacquer Renown kit. I play with a big band jazz group, but I miss my 06 Starclassic birch drums and these are close. I guess they aren't jazz drums, but I really like them.

bleen

Reaction score
I guess they aren't jazz drums, but I really like them.
Wouldn't "jazz drums" be any drums that you tune the way you prefer and then use to play jazz? Pretty sure Elvin thought Tama drums were fine for jazz (or anything else).

Latest posts