Tama 40th Anniversary Superstar Reissue

Balance

Reaction score
Anyone here have this snare? I'm interested in this and coming very close to pulling the trigger, only thing that puts me off is there's no rubber/plastic inlays between lugs and shell. The finish has me a little worried as it's not the best, as long as it's not laminate I can let that slide.

I know it's a reissue and made for the vintage crowd, but I'm only after it because it sounds great.

What do you guys make of this? This is the all birch 14x5 version.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the folks here will say no to the rubber gaskets. I’ve heard some say the gaskets impact the resonance of the shell. For the life of me I haven’t been able to hear the difference.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought this guy, along with the matching hardcase, for very little money a couple of years ago. Excellent sounding snare, very well constructed, and the Cherry Wine finish was rich and deep. I kinda wish I still had it, but at the time, there was something else on my radar, so I sold it.

1.jpg

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also had one of these. Build quality was great. I didn't like the diecast hoops combined with the birch shell, so I eventually sold it. For the right price, it is a very nice drum.

Balance

Reaction score
Most of the folks here will say no to the rubber gaskets. I’ve heard some say the gaskets impact the resonance of the shell. For the life of me I haven’t been able to hear the difference.
Did a bunch of research on it last night, it does seem to make a difference on metal shells. Not sure on wood, I hope the lugs don't damage the outer ply!

Balance

Reaction score
Thanks for the photos guys, you all seem to have rubber gaskets on yours!?

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about gaskets. If you really want them you can make your own out of craft foam for pennies.

Balance

Reaction score
Who knows, there might be something to lugs hugging the outer shell, to the point they make an indent. If such a simple thing as rubber gaskets can make a difference (seen the clips, I think they make a lot of difference!), then maybe the tightness of the lugs on the shell might too.