Tama 80’s Bell Brass replica

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just put this together, a Tama 1980’s Bell Brass replica. Duluth shell that I treated to pre-age it. Nice patina and it dries the sound just a bit. Parts came from a 1984 Mastercraft steel shell drum.
Sounds amazing and better than I dared to hope. Killer drum.

View attachment 503541

View attachment 503542

View attachment 503543

View attachment 503544

View attachment 503545
That's awesome. Enjoy that. I wish I could borrow that. Lol. So do they cut the bearing edges too? There's another place I saw in China that does the bronze shell too. What did you treat the shell with?

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cast shells are always thicker after casting and then shaved down to wanted thickness. Would be weird if a shell manufacturer could stop the shaving only at 3.4 mm? :huh:
Unless 3.4mm equals to an Imperial measure. That is a possibility. But it doesn’t (just did a search). 3.5mm does equal roughly 1/8”.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is my Tama replica done by Savage Custom Drums. Duluth shell as well. 3mm. (There is no preset thickness on Duluth shells for whoever said they are 3.4mm-3 mm up to 12+mm, customer desire)

49634FA1-59FF-4EF4-BA11-F389E38EDA6B.jpeg

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Unless 3.4mm equals to an Imperial measure. That is a possibility. But it doesn’t (just did a search). 3.5mm does equal roughly 1/8”.
Just to be clear, my point was not that 3.4 mm is an unusual measure. The point was that when you know the manufacturing process, then it feels extremely weird that the workshop (that does cast shells as custom orders) would/could only shave them down to one specific thickness.
It's little bit the same thing as if they could drill them only for, let's say 8 lugs and one specific throw off screw pattern.

Last edited:

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's awesome. Enjoy that. I wish I could borrow that. Lol. So do they cut the bearing edges too? There's another place I saw in China that does the bronze shell too. What did you treat the shell with?
They did the edges and drilling.
I treated the shell by dipping it in warm water mixed with Liver of Sulphur

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just to be clear, my point was not that 3.4 mm is an unusual measure. The point was that when you know the manufacturing process, then it feels extremely weird that the workshop (that does cast shells as custom orders) would/could only shave them down to one specific thickness.
It's little bit the same thing as if they could drill them only for, let's say 8 lugs and one specific throw off screw pattern.
I was trying to explain it away and couldn’t LOL