Tama 80s superstar air vents

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for a close replacement for the old Tama grommets? I had to remove two on my superstars (restoring clearcoat on kick, straightening bent up badge on FT) and I destroyed the grommet with a file to remove it . The rack toms won’t be messed with, but I attached a pic of one to show what the stock grommet looks like.
I haven’t measured the size of the hole yet.. I just wondered if anyone was familiar enough with Tama to say “but these grommets”

Attachments

bubo

Reaction score
Back when Tama´s "Backbeat-Forum" been online i remember some guy from Canada that gave a great advice on how to replace those grommets.
He even made a tool to press the grommet Tama-ish.
Maybe he is around here and could help?

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those grommets don't look like any replacement I've ever seen. Are you so set on a "correct" appearance that you couldn't consider some of the grommets that are secured by bolts on the inside? They tend to have very thick, heavy collars like yours.

GeeDeeEmm

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
What is it that is unique about this grommet (size, length, material)?

To me that fatter outer lip recalls the Slingerland grommets, I know repros are available of those.

I make my own grommets out of either brass or aluminum tubing. I can't recreate that fatter lip though.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tama used an aluminum grommet, very similar to that used by Slinglerland. The major difference was how the grommet was flared. Slingerland used a flaring tool to round over the grommet against the inside of the shell. The included picture shows how Tama chose to do this. Replicating that style would be time consuming and probably fairly difficult!

-Mark
1.jpg
2.jpg
10.jpg

loach71

Reaction score
Back when Tama´s "Backbeat-Forum" been online i remember some guy from Canada that gave a great advice on how to replace those grommets.
He even made a tool to press the grommet Tama-ish.
Maybe he is around here and could help?
His name is Kevin Cundy. He lives in Airdrie, Alberta, Canada -- a bedroom community of Calgary. Kevin is a Tama guru. He is also a master drum re-finisher. He is honest and ships his work worldwide. You can find him on Facebook.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OK... dont hold me to this but I THINK I have a couple of Superstar grommets in my shop. Let me look tomorrow and if I have them still, they are yours. I will look tomorrow and touch base.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
If the diameter is right this will probably be as close as you can get unless Tama will sell you one.

Gretsch used to flare out their grommets in that same type of petal pattern on some of their drums. I've replicated that by cutting several slots in the back end of the grommet with a Dremel tool before installing it. Although it would be tricky to cut that many slots.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
LOL!! OK, these are nothing to look at and the short one would have to be just glued in as its shorter... but they are yours if you can use them. Just PM me your address and I will drop them in the mail.

20190422_063200.jpg20190422_063217.jpg

KevinCundy

Reaction score
The aluminum grommet from precision drum builders is the closest I have found to the Tama originals. Sold as Sling 7/16". Buy the 1/2" long ones. I have a custom grommet splitter, but you can cut little tabs using h/d scissors and then pound them over using a ball peen hammer. Just go slow and use the old grommet as a guide.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On Facebook, there's a site called Vintage Tama Drums where the top restorer who posts frequently does great badges. He must have a source and/or method for doing the grommets. Consider touching base there.

Latest posts