Tama Artstar info?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been intending on looking at a Tama Artstar to purchase for a while now, but things kept popping up.
I'm finally going to get a chance to see it in a bit.
I know about a few things about the kit.
They have been sitting in cases since the 80's
It has the Cordia finish,
2 24 inch kicks, but don't know how many, or sizes of toms.
Camco pedals (and type of hardware IDK?)
Cymbals (idk what cymbals he has?), stands, everything included to play.
Now, I've seen some big disparities in prices online. I've seen as low as $600, all the way up to 7K.
Besides the condition of the kit, is there anything I should be looking for? Type of badge, any specific snare, anything else?
From what I've read, I believe the kit is birch, and Cordia.
Any info on the Tama Artstar would be greatly appreciated.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's probably the initial incarnation of Artstars from the catalog Spelman posted above. They only had power sizes when they were introduced. The thinner shell concept came about after Neil Peart asked for a thinner shelled kit than what Tama was offering at the time. The exotic inner and outer plies were a nod to Sonor Signature Series.

They are great drums. Back then I was going between Superstars, Artstars, Yamaha Recording Custom and Tour series. I opted for the Superstars because I wanted that kit the longest, they had come out with Piano Black like the Yamahas, I wanted the thicker shell and it was the best price.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Is there anyway to tell if it is the initial Artstar from the badge, or anything else? Is the initial Artstar more valuable, made better, worse?
Here's my dilemma. This is an elderly couple, and they don't know the value (well neither do I), but depending on the cymbals alone, this could be worth good $. I don't want to "rob" them, but it would be nice to leave feeling I got the kit for a "steal" (yes, corney)
If it's in mint condition, as stated, and was used a handful of times, as they said.
I have no idea what to offer?
I was thinking 1k for everything.
They're moving, it's taking up space, and the wife wants it gone.

Attachments

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Badge would be as posted above. The Artstar II's were completely redesigned all-maple kits and Cordia finish was discontinued.

I have no idea what the market is, but I agree you should try and get the best deal you can. It's a buyer's market out there with tons of options available. As great as these drums are, power toms are not exactly in style these days.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking at the pics. He either got some real bad reflections, or there's some kind of water damage?
Well, that would be a no sale. I'll go, check out the condition.
It was probably too good to be true, but it can't hurt to take a look at what he's got

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's worth checking out. Good luck, I hope you get it because it's a killer kit. The best drums out there at the time.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure if it's the same on the Artstar badges as on the Imperialstar but in the 80s the imps had the year stamped before the serial number. So it would be 83- xxxxxx. Or something like that.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Has it been mentioned that Artstar Cordias had two badges. Block Letter and Script. One had rounded edges and the other 45. I think.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Block logo is the earliest, bearing edges were the same on both. The 8 and 10 inch toms go for BIG $. A high quality 24 16 13 12 kit should bring $1k- $1200.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The badge you show above is the same one showing up in my Tama 1984/85 catalog. I believe that would be the first style. I see large double kick kits being listed for $2,000-$2,500. Hardware would be Tama Titan. Those had red oval decals in the 1983-1986 period. Excellent study hardware that stands up today. When in distressed or beat up condition, the Artstars can go for as little as $400-$600 for a 4 piece. These would normally come with Tama's Metal Mastercraft or Kingbeat snare drums. But a wood Mastercraft (or Cordia?) was an option...and big dollars.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, the bad news, the kit isn't in mint condition, and a lot of the hardware has some pitting. Also few scuffs here and, there on some of the toms, and 1 of the bass drums.
The good news is, it's in very good condition, especially for how old it is.
I got a hard case full of Zildjan cymbals, some look like they had never been played. There's a Zildjan ride I can't ID though. I'll post a pic of the cymbals badge tomorrow. Hopefully someone will recognize it.
I got a bunch of boom stands, 2 hi hat stands, as well as several double tom stands.
Total of 11 drums including the 2 bass drums, and snare. 2 chain drive Camco bass pedals, hard cases for all drums. There was 8, and 10 inch toms included.
I used to listen to Peart as a kid a bunch. I'm pretty sure I got his exact accustic drum setup from back in the day. The son was a huge Peart fan, and looks about right.
They have to move, and didn't have the room, or want to bring it with them, so he basically gave everything to me for far less than I was going to offer.
Unlike the Bubinga kits, I will be playing, and using these.
Super nice guy! He helped me get em home, carry the gear, and even ordered some food.
I need to meet people like these more often.

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Block logo is the earliest, bearing edges were the same on both.
Are you sure on this?

The only way I know the edges might be different is that I had a friend that built a Cordia kit out of orphans and he found out that some of the drums had different bearing edges.

I double checked with the resident Guru and one time Tama employee on the Vintage Tama Forum on this and here is his response.

"The early not determined by block or script Cordia had flat 60° type edges that were finished after cutting. The later models the later models were cut after finish and were a " standard" ( Camco edge) cut.

The early ones with the finished edges are actually my favorite ones but the problem as with many 80's Tama are the edges are not flat!! I have had many a Super and now a Artstar Cordia 12 that wobbles on a flat edge. Most can tune around it. I'm cutting the shells down so they will be recut anyhow.

The early ones don't sustain quite as much as the later. I like the head to contact more edge myself it a little fatter and warmer sounding and these shells are lively with the Cordia inner ply and finish."

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A few pics, as I take em out of the cases. He also threw in some Pearl double pedals. They're solid, but big, and heavy. Pretty prehistoric looking. Should be fun.
I'm laying out some of the hardware, as I unload.
Some 80's sizes. I see an 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18 on the toms.
I'll be able to clean everything up properly later, and get some more pics.

Attachments

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last year I sold an 8" Artstar Cordia tom, block logo, for $700. Local sale here in the DC area. Extremely hard to find.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been intending on looking at a Tama Artstar to purchase for a while now, but things kept popping up.
I'm finally going to get a chance to see it in a bit.
I know about a few things about the kit.
They have been sitting in cases since the 80's
It has the Cordia finish,
2 24 inch kicks, but don't know how many, or sizes of toms.
Camco pedals (and type of hardware IDK?)
Cymbals (idk what cymbals he has?), stands, everything included to play.
Now, I've seen some big disparities in prices online. I've seen as low as $600, all the way up to 7K.
Besides the condition of the kit, is there anything I should be looking for? Type of badge, any specific snare, anything else?
From what I've read, I believe the kit is birch, and Cordia.
Any info on the Tama Artstar would be greatly appreciated.
Is that the kit in Severna Park?

Latest posts