Tama Bell Brass Snares

Bonzoholic

Helluva Nice Guy
Reaction score
What is it about the Tama Bell Brass snare that commands/commanded such a high dollar price? I mean, Ludwig 20's Black Beauty's are in the $2K - $3K range, but, no offense to Tama, Tama???

Splain it to me....

ed427vette

Reaction score
They are simply the best snare ever made out there. They sing. They are few in numbers.
They blow away any Ludwig Black Beauty ever made. No offense to Ludwig.

cdlaine

DFO Master
Reaction score
heheheheh!

3, 2, 1.....

Not hardly. And, even if money was no object , this would not be

the snare nor the amount I would spend.

Bonz... my spidey sense is tingling on this "sale".

Peace, Chas

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh, I smell another possible locked thread :shock: I glanced at the prices on those and wondered why so high priced...what does brass cost per pound...like $3/lb? Although I bought a TAMA brass 14" 10 hole hoop that seems great, it's prob the first and last TAMA product I will ever buy...anybody know much about these hoops or own drums with them? Maybe just for snares, i dunno...dont really follow the new MIJ stuff....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220758893787&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I often think of the cover of the instruction Ludwig book with WFL, President, on the cover amongst all those nekked shells in sparkles and pearls and think that the look on his face kidna says "these are the best damn drums money can buy!" I agree!

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the 6 1/2" ones fetch the high prices, mostly because of some album called "Nevermind"

ed427vette

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the 6 1/2" ones fetch the high prices, mostly because of some album called "Nevermind"
The last early 80's version of a 6 1/2 Bell Brass that was on ebay last year went for $7500 but who knows if the sale really went through. Then a later 80's sold for $2500 a month or so later. Its a lot of money but they always reach those numbers.

Also, someone said they think this thread will get locked? Why? Do people get so insulted over brand loyalty that they can't behave themselves? If thats the case then thats hilarious. I'll guess I'll keep watching this one.

drumaniac

DFO Master
Reaction score
The last early 80's version of a 6 1/2 Bell Brass that was on ebay last year went for $7500 but who knows if the sale really went through. Then a later 80's sold for $2500 a month or so later. Its a lot of money but they always reach those numbers.

Also, someone said they think this thread will get locked? Why? Do people get so insulted over brand loyalty that they can't behave themselves? If thats the case then thats hilarious. I'll guess I'll keep watching this one.
some people call this the Ludwig forum ;-)

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a Ludwig junky and I'd still love to have one of those bell brass snares! Never have seen one in person, but from what I've seen and heard online, they are amazing drums. Of course, I also want one of those Zildjian/Noble & Cooley drums and a Paiste Spirit of 2002 to complete the collection! Ah, a man can dream, can't he? :drunken:

Clay

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
First off, the name of this forum is "Drumforum" not Ludwigforum" or "Gretschforum" or "Camcoforum" or whatever. If you aren't mature enough for some friendly give and take, you don't belong here, regardless of your chronological age...

Second, I was unaware of the provenance of the "Nevermind" snare. A little research turned up this quote from Butch Vig at Gearslutz:

"The best way to get the drum sound on Nevermind is....get Dave Grohl to play drums at Sound City!!!
The snare was called "The Terminator"...it was 80's Bell Brass.
His kit was an 80's Tama Grandstar."

Aha! but this from Matt Hepworth:

"'The Terminator' snare drum is actually a super thick bell brass drum made by Zildjian and Noble&Cooley. It is NOT Tama. It is NOT a Black Beauty. The only one rentable is owned by the Drum Doctor and it's used on about every album from that era and is still heavily used today."

cdlaine

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good stuff Rob...

I read where the 6.5 weighs in at 20 lbs. , ...whoa! thats pretty heavy

for a snare.

I checked a couple of the other forums... the prices seem to be all the place.

Does the term bell brass signify anything other then thicker brass shell ???

Peace, Chas

dilbertfan1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me, the one "bucket list" Tama snare is a 14x6.5 Rosewood about the timeframe as this bell brass drum. As for other brands, well, I don't have enough time to list all of them. A 20s Ludwig BB or NOB, or (on the new side) a Joyful Noise would be nice . Back OT, Donn Bennett had a couple of Elvin Jones' 80s Tama bell brass drums. It seems they went for 4k...

latzanimal

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
"The best way to get the drum sound on Nevermind is....get Dave Grohl to play drums at Sound City!!!

"'The Terminator' snare drum is actually a super thick bell brass drum made by Zildjian and Noble&Cooley. It is NOT Tama. It is NOT a Black Beauty. The only one rentable is owned by the Drum Doctor and it's used on about every album from that era and is still heavily used today."
If they rented from the Drum Doctors, it was this one here which is indeed one of the first Tama Cast bell brass drums: My link

The Tama bell brass drums are cast shells, which is not an easy process. Like the Sonor cast bronze drums, , the Zildjian Noble & Cooley, Tree bronze drums, etc, the price is part of the cost......

I am looking for someone to cast a shell for me from my broken cymbals and from what I am finding out is that is not just a case of melting metal and pouring into a mold.....

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Although I bought a TAMA brass 14" 10 hole hoop that seems great, it's prob the first and last TAMA product I will ever buy...anybody know much about these hoops or own drums with them?
That's not a very nice thing to say, is there a specific reason ? I sold off everything I owned that had the Ludwig logo attatched after my last fiasco of out of round shells, warped hoops and replacements that were no better, total lack of QC (these were brand new drums). So I guess I am the polar opposite of you.

:occasion5:

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score

If they rented from the Drum Doctors, it was this one here which is indeed one of the first Tama Cast bell brass drums: My link

The Tama bell brass drums are cast shells, which is not an easy process. Like the Sonor cast bronze drums, , the Zildjian Noble & Cooley, Tree bronze drums, etc, the price is part of the cost......

I am looking for someone to cast a shell for me from my broken cymbals and from what I am finding out is that is not just a case of melting metal and pouring into a mold.....
Good stuff latz - i should have checked Ross's list myself. I stand corrected.

Down at the bottom of the page, he's got a list of "Serious Snares" and he doesn't list a brass one among his N&Cs. He 's got two of the Tama bell brass though.

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=42&now=9

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=47&now=13

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=54&now=10

They stop showing up in catalogs after 1983.

Looks like Elvin enjoyed his!

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah I was just going to say I love the Black Beauty but the early 5mm thick shell on the first Tama bell brass and the 3mm shell later on are just amazing sounding drums.You really have to hear and play one if you ever get the chance.They are really that good.

Steve B

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
A long time ago, I played a 6.5" Bell Brass and it was very nice. I have a DW cast bronze and it is also a great drum... The cast snares are nice but they have a specific sound, they are not a Radio King, Dynasonic or Black Beauty, nor are they meant to be.

ed427vette

Reaction score
For me, the one "bucket list" Tama snare is a 14x6.5 Rosewood about the timeframe as this bell brass drum. As for other brands, well, I don't have enough time to list all of them. A 20s Ludwig BB or NOB, or (on the new side) a Joyful Noise would be nice . Back OT, Donn Bennett had a couple of Elvin Jones' 80s Tama bell brass drums. It seems they went for 4k...
The 80's Rosewoods are very nice. I have 2 of them. One is an early 12 ply from about 1980 and the other is a 10 ply from 1982. I never had a Bell Brass but during the mid 80's I was doing some recording in a Studio called the Boogie Hotel was able to borrow one for a few days. I couldn't afford one for myself then either....

miker

Reaction score
The 80's Rosewoods are very nice. I have 2 of them. One is an early 12 ply from about 1980 and the other is a 10 ply from 1982. I never had a Bell Brass but during the mid 80's I was doing some recording in a Studio called the Boogie Hotel was able to borrow one for a few days. I couldn't afford one for myself then either....
Got one of these puppies tucked away.

Latest posts