Tama Bell Brass Snares

Snooter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Aurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
For me, the one "bucket list" Tama snare is a 14x6.5 Rosewood about the timeframe as this bell brass drum. As for other brands, well, I don't have enough time to list all of them. A 20s Ludwig BB or NOB, or (on the new side) a Joyful Noise would be nice . Back OT, Donn Bennett had a couple of Elvin Jones' 80s Tama bell brass drums. It seems they went for 4k...
The 80's Rosewoods are very nice. I have 2 of them. One is an early 12 ply from about 1980 and the other is a 10 ply from 1982. I never had a Bell Brass but during the mid 80's I was doing some recording in a Studio called the Boogie Hotel was able to borrow one for a few days. I couldn't afford one for myself then either....
Well add me to this group as I also have a Tama rosewood snare from the 80's. It is my go to snare. Pics are in the gallery.

Vipuronr

Reaction score
Okay, I have a 14 piece Tama Vintage Superstar kit in Candy Apple Red...kind of a Neil Peart '82 (or so) tour kit. Often characterized as one of the best rock kits of its time! That said, also have Rogers and Slingerland snares that I love! I have an appreciation for great drums (whether American vintage or not) and if I had more space, I'd have more.

Okay, as I built and ran a dedicated website for Tama Superstars years back, I had heard lots about the Bell Brass snare (out of my price range). Over the years, it had been described as an incredible snare...this by many drummers that I knew back then. In no way would this put down a Ludwig or any other snare....just that this snare fetches very high prices always, because it is just...that good!

I had a shot to buy a tarnished one that was sitting in storage for years...and it went for about $1800 and this was about 8 or so years ago!

drumaniac

DFO Master
Reaction score
First off, the name of this forum is "Drumforum" not Ludwigforum" or "Gretschforum" or "Camcoforum" or whatever. If you aren't mature enough for some friendly give and take, you don't belong here, regardless of your chronological age...

Second, I was unaware of the provenance of the "Nevermind" snare. A little research turned up this quote from Butch Vig at Gearslutz:

"The best way to get the drum sound on Nevermind is....get Dave Grohl to play drums at Sound City!!!
The snare was called "The Terminator"...it was 80's Bell Brass.
His kit was an 80's Tama Grandstar."

Aha! but this from Matt Hepworth:

"'The Terminator' snare drum is actually a super thick bell brass drum made by Zildjian and Noble&Cooley. It is NOT Tama. It is NOT a Black Beauty. The only one rentable is owned by the Drum Doctor and it's used on about every album from that era and is still heavily used today."
calling it ludwig forum was some friendly give and take

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
What is wrong with us?

Horn players I know speak of $8-10,000 vintage saxes as being the norm. And not even the top end.

We all know about 50's/60's Fender guitars: $15K or more, no big deal.

I occasionally gig with a guy who carries a B3 with Leslie cabinet to gigs in a trailer. He has several others at home as well. He tells me they're worth $30k in excellent shape. Even if he's off by 50%, that's still $15,000.

And yet a snare like this Tama model, made in an special alloy, in a special process, producing a wonderful tone, examples of which are on a number of famous recordings, and are very scarce to boot - and we act like $4000 or even $7500 is way out of line.

Drums don't get enough respect. Maybe not even from us....

Vipuronr

Reaction score
Good point, Dan, but I think the point being made earlier was "I would NEVER spend that kind of money on any Tama product, but would certainly spend it on a Ludwig". For me, it's one person's opinion...he's a Ludwig guy, nothing wrong with that. It sounds a little like the Ford, Chevy, Chrysler thing back in the day...everyone took sides and only liked their own.

Doesn't matter to me, the Tama Bell Brass snare is a unique, very limited production snare with great sound. For those interested, then its the drum for them...not for others. If I had the money, I would definitely add it to my collection.

Yes, that is the "PC" answer!!!! :)

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
What is wrong with us?

Horn players I know speak of $8-10,000 vintage saxes as being the norm. And not even the top end.

I occasionally gig with a guy who carries a B3 with Leslie cabinet to gigs in a trailer. He has several others at home as well. He tells me they're worth $30k in excellent shape. Even if he's off by 50%, that's still $15,000.

And yet a snare like this Tama model, made in an special alloy, in a special process, producing a wonderful tone, examples of which are on a number of famous recordings, and are very scarce to boot - and we act like $4000 or even $7500 is way out of line.

Agreed. Drummers are (generally) the cheapest out of all of the musicians. How many times have you seen a kit with OLD heads 'cause the drummer is too cheap to replace them, regardless of how they sound?

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
Good point, Dan, but I think the point being made earlier was "I would NEVER spend that kind of money on any Tama product, but would certainly spend it on a Ludwig". For me, it's one person's opinion...he's a Ludwig guy, nothing wrong with that. It sounds a little like the Ford, Chevy, Chrysler thing back in the day...everyone took sides and only liked their own.

Doesn't matter to me, the Tama Bell Brass snare is a unique, very limited production snare with great sound. For those interested, then its the drum for them...not for others. If I had the money, I would definitely add it to my collection.

Yes, that is the "PC" answer!!!! :)
I'm a Tama AND a Ludwig guy. I won't spend that much on either of their products.
Unless of course I win the lottery. :idea1:

biggator

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love cast bronze snares.. I have a Zildjian/N&C already and would LOVE a Tama bell brass.

Also, Dan.. you're SO right about the value of vintage drums. Drummers get of waaaay easy. When a 'ridiculously priced' vintage instrument is $5-10k.. we get off easy.

PsychRed

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What is wrong with us?

Agreed. Drummers are (generally) the cheapest out of all of the musicians. How many times have you seen a kit with OLD heads 'cause the drummer is too cheap to replace them, regardless of how they sound?

#1 = harp players, maybe drummers are second but bass players rank right up there too. Harp players beat drummers by a mile, plus all of 'em have the Little Walter "chip on their shoulder the size of Texas" curse.

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me, the one "bucket list" Tama snare is a 14x6.5 Rosewood about the timeframe as this bell brass drum. As for other brands, well, I don't have enough time to list all of them. A 20s Ludwig BB or NOB, or (on the new side) a Joyful Noise would be nice . Back OT, Donn Bennett had a couple of Elvin Jones' 80s Tama bell brass drums. It seems they went for 4k...

Now's the time to get one. Prices are DOWN!

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
What is wrong with us?

#1 = harp players, maybe drummers are second but bass players rank right up there too. Harp players beat drummers by a mile, plus all of 'em have the Little Walter "chip on their shoulder the size of Texas" curse.
Thats a good one, Psych !!

What's the range of the average harmonica ? heh heh - bout 50 feet ...

What are accordians best for ? Kindling - for a harmonica fire...

Actually ,I know a well- balanced harmonica player - he has chip on BOTH shoulders ...

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I remember seeing one of those Bell Brass snare drums when they were new. Seems to me they were around $1200 or more back then, around 1984. It had an unfinished look to it and looked rather fugly but man did it have tone!

dalec

Reaction score
I remember seeing one of those Bell Brass snare drums when they were new. Seems to me they were around $1200 or more back then, around 1984. It had an unfinished look to it and looked rather fugly but man did it have tone!
That's exactly the one I am selling right now. It's listed in the FOR SALE section.

Lars

Tanco

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Tama rosewood and like it a lot but i find myself always bringing lighter drums to gigs. I tried the brass pearl reference and cast mapex steel snares and i dont see myself ever buying one. The weight is just silly and the sound seems one dimensional to me. Overall i have a soft spot for Tama. But 3/5K for a snaredrum? no way.

nonagon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good stuff Rob...

I read where the 6.5 weighs in at 20 lbs. , ...whoa! thats pretty heavy

for a snare.

I checked a couple of the other forums... the prices seem to be all the place.

Does the term bell brass signify anything other then thicker brass shell ???

Peace, Chas

I was under the impression that bell brass is synonymous with bronze.

miker

Reaction score
That's exactly the one I am selling right now. It's listed in the FOR SALE section.

Lars
Interested in a trade for the one or mine that I posted the photo of.

dalec

Reaction score

Lars
Interested in a trade for the one or mine that I posted the photo of.
Sorry, but I am not planning to trade.
Regards, Lars