Tama Bell Brass Snares

ed427vette

Reaction score
Finished at $4,150.00 and relisted...
Amazing. I bet the same thing happens again if the seller doesn't get a high enough bid. I find it very suspicious a zero feedback bidder bids it up at the last few hours and then it gets relisted so quickly. If it wasn't for that bidder it would have sold for around $2300 and that is a great deal. I'll be watching this one.

miker

Reaction score
Finished at $4,150.00 and relisted...
Amazing. I bet the same thing happens again if the seller doesn't get a high enough bid. I find it very suspicious a zero feedback bidder bids it up at the last few hours and then it gets relisted so quickly. If it wasn't for that bidder it would have sold for around $2300 and that is a great deal. I'll be watching this one.

Damn, if they're pulling that much my drum's days are numbered!

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh, I smell another possible locked thread :shock: I glanced at the prices on those and wondered why so high priced...what does brass cost per pound...like $3/lb? Although I bought a TAMA brass 14" 10 hole hoop that seems great, it's prob the first and last TAMA product I will ever buy...anybody know much about these hoops or own drums with them? Maybe just for snares, i dunno...dont really follow the new MIJ stuff....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220758893787&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
I've had a pair of those Tama Brass Mighty nickel-played brass hoops for about 6-7 years now, and I've had them on about every gig snare I've had since I got them. I just put them on my Tama Stewart Copeland, and it sounds a helluva lot better than the die-cast top and triple-flanged steel bottom hoop that came with it. If you order a pair new, they run around $100, I think. Since you-know-who is no longer selling the repro COB triple-flanged hoops, I'm keeping my Tamas. They are currently the only nickel-plated brass available, and the only chrome-plated brass hoops you can buy now are the single-flanged from Drummaker, etc.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good stuff Rob...

I read where the 6.5 weighs in at 20 lbs. , ...whoa! thats pretty heavy

for a snare.

I checked a couple of the other forums... the prices seem to be all the place.

Does the term bell brass signify anything other then thicker brass shell ???

Peace, Chas

I was under the impression that bell brass is synonymous with bronze.
Bell Brass is actually a misnomer, alloy-wise. I think Tama cooked it up as a marketing tool, or perhaps some folks use the term outside the drum community. I was told that the correct term is actually "bell bronze"; this is the term used by bell makers. It is in fact a bronze alloy, not brass.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had an 80s bell brass just like the eBay .38 Special drum, only not in as good of shape. Mine was missing the tone control and had some pitting on the hoops. It was the best-sounding snare I ever had, and I even lugged that mother to gigs back in the 90s.
It actually sounded best when tuned to medium tension and struck with lighter force. if I whaled on it, it was just a loud snare. If you want to hear what this snare sounds like in full voice, listen to "Discipline" or "Beat" by King Crimson, and you'll hear snare drum magic.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi-
Even though I am a loyal Ludwig guy, a unique and nice sounding drum is just that. I played my friends tama (with the natural cast finish), and wow, it sings for days! I have a zildjian/noble Cooley and it is similar.

That era had the tama, zildjian, sonor, and paiste cast snares. All awesome resonant tanks, lol!

For me, comparing to say one is better, no, simply another sound/color in our arsenal.

If memory serves, tama offered two different hoops, the original cast, and the later bell brass cast that looked like the ludwigs.

Paul

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I`ve got a newer one .....does that count
Well, that's bronze, but it's rolled/welded (brazed? What's the correct term?), and not cast. Your snare started life on a roll of bronze. The bell bronze was melted and cast like a bell. Same metal, totally different process.

Strider49

Reaction score
I`ve got a newer one .....does that count
Well, that's bronze, but it's rolled/welded (brazed? What's the correct term?), and not cast. Your snare started life on a roll of bronze. The bell bronze was melted and cast like a bell. Same metal, totally different process.
Yeah, i knew that ....just being a smart a**. The brass probably isn`t as good a quality either judging by production cymbals these days.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
My cymbal stand can beat up your cymbal stand.

Are there any good sound files of these out there? What's the stand out feature of these drums?.... and why isn't Tama making them anymore if they sell for this kinda money? :)

-Ryan

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score

Are there any good sound files of these out there? What's the stand out feature of these drums?.... and why isn't Tama making them anymore if they sell for this kinda money? :)

-Ryan
The stand-out feature is that Tama made them before anyone else, and made them better. Video/soundfiles occasionally pop up on YouTube.

When I went to see Bill Bruford, the Tama rep who was traveling with him told me that Tama is considering a reissue. They main thing holding it up is that those shells were made by one guy, and one guy only, and he has since moved from Japan. They supposedly want him to be involved on the reissue if it happens.

latzanimal

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...

-Ryan
The stand-out feature is that Tama made them before anyone else, and made them better. Video/soundfiles occasionally pop up on YouTube.

When I went to see Bill Bruford, the Tama rep who was traveling with him told me that Tama is considering a reissue. They main thing holding it up is that those shells were made by one guy, and one guy only, and he has since moved from Japan. They supposedly want him to be involved on the reissue if it happens.

The other reason is that it is not easily done. Sonor still offers a cast bronze snare. Even just to get a foundry to do a casting for you is hard/next to impossible I'm finding out.

Bongo Congo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I feel it's germane to note that DW currently makes a cast brass (and a bronze) snare drum. 3mm brass or bronze (different shells), seamless cast shell. They are absolutely killer. I owned a 6.5" for a while, and there was nothing like it on Earth... although I haven't played the Tama model, I can't believe it was hugely superior. The value of the Tama model is partly dependent on it's rarity, not purely on it's sound.

You can get a DW cast brass snare for as little as $449. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DW-collectors-cast-brass-snare-drum-/150726728821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2318035c75

mesazoo

Reaction score
I had an 80s bell brass just like the eBay .38 Special drum, only not in as good of shape. Mine was missing the tone control and had some pitting on the hoops. It was the best-sounding snare I ever had, and I even lugged that mother to gigs back in the 90s.
It actually sounded best when tuned to medium tension and struck with lighter force. if I whaled on it, it was just a loud snare. If you want to hear what this snare sounds like in full voice, listen to "Discipline" or "Beat" by King Crimson, and you'll hear snare drum magic.
Based on Bills site, those albums may have been steel. The BB looks like it was part of a smaller set in 82, 83 I think.mm

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Based on Bills site, those albums may have been steel. The BB looks like it was part of a smaller set in 82, 83 I think.mm
He told me the Tama bell brass was what he used in the studio for those two albums, but not on tour.