Tama Club Jam Pancake Kit

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No doubt about it, that sounds good.
However I wonder if the pancake style bass drum and ultra-thin single head toms wouldn’t practically require being mic’d for performing most live gigs.
I played a small bar gig this past week with my Tama Club gig kit and due to a lack of mic inputs on the sound system I wasn’t able to mic the drums at all.
Yes they could have used more volume, but it actually got the job done in this roughly 1000 s.f. Room with 40 patrons.
That would be my only apprehension about going as small as this kit for gigging.
Other than that, all mic’d up, sounds good.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt about it, that sounds good.
However I wonder if the pancake style bass drum and ultra-thin single head toms wouldn’t practically require being mic’d for performing most live gigs.
I played a small bar gig this past week with my Tama Club gig kit and due to a lack of mic inputs on the sound system I wasn’t able to mic the drums at all.
Yes they could have used more volume, but it actually got the job done in this roughly 1000 s.f. Room with 40 patrons.
That would be my only apprehension about going as small as this kit for gigging.
Other than that, all mic’d up, sounds good.
I agree about the microphones. Years ago, my ROTO toms needed mic's even in small venues. What little bit of shell they do have on the Tamas may be a plus. There have been times I would have liked to have had a bass drum like that just to save space.

sherm

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Yamaha EAD 10 would work well with this Pancake kit for micing where PA inputs are at a premium . You could even add triggers for the snare and toms and have a great sounding Uber portable kit .

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
The Yamaha EAD 10 would work well with this Pancake kit for micing where PA inputs are at a premium . You could even add triggers for the snare and toms and have a great sounding Uber portable kit .
When I was gigging (and if ever I do again), PA inputs for drums and cymbals are not/would not be a problem because the only time ever I allowed my drums to be mic'd was in a recording studio :) I am too old school to mic.

Dbphil

Reaction score
I was considering the DW Low pro but I can’t find a store that stocks it so I can can try it

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
The Tama pancake kit is worth waiting for in my opinion, which I am basing on my experience with two Club Jam kits (the two piece, and I also have a four piece that has a deeper (12 inch) bass drum.

Dbphil

Reaction score
I would love to hear a side by side audio comparison

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love my deep dish Club Jam. Bought it for those grab-and-go living room rehearsals. But this seems to take that concept to another, arguably better, level.

It might sound better if that guy were wearing socks, but it does sound quite good.

I’d like to see an InDe aluminum Wayfarer in these sizes.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m impressed. I don’t do all that well with small diameter basses (14, 16) but this shallow depth sounds pretty good.

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I frankensteined a set like that years ago and still use it when appropriate (it's also ideal for rehearsals). The secret ingredient is the Pearl twin receiver which allows you to mount either two toms on the bass drum or one tom and your ride cymbal; this saves you from having to fly stuff off of cymbal stands.

Pearl Rhythm Traveler kick (8x20), DW 10 piccolo tom, 13 Pearl flat timbale

TimbaleTraveler001.jpg

2018-06-29-Romilos001.JPG

IMG_9480.JPG

2018-04-27-Romilos002.JPG

Ethnokit

Reaction score
Hi, to everybody; this is my first post in this forum and I am happy to share my Tama Pancake kit here
sonically it fantastic!!!
Just cant belive how much quality comes out from this little sparkling drums;
the bassdrum sounds beautiful!! .. also tom, floor tom and snare

Attachments

• 001 pancake remo a.jpg
    001 pancake remo a.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 01 pancake A.jpg
    01 pancake A.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 02 pancake remo.jpg
    02 pancake remo.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 49

Ethnokit

Reaction score
The Tama pancake kit is worth waiting for in my opinion, which I am basing on my experience with two Club Jam kits (the two piece, and I also have a four piece that has a deeper (12 inch) bass drum.
I also had the four pieces Club Jam but my preference goes for the Pancake; in my opinion this little kit have a much more balanced/focused sound than the 18x12 bassdrum version of the Jam Club "series"
for the little bassdrum I swiched to a Fiberkin Powerstroke 3 as reso and coated Ambassador on the batter side same on snare, tom and floor tom ::
the result is a beautiful full rich tone!!
for small venues, the kit doesnt need to be miced for sure , the overall sound is already perfectly balanced.
For louder cross sticks and rim shots I placed a gruv-x click on the snare with eccellent results

Last edited:

wackjob

Reaction score
I would be all over these Tama pancakes if I weren't making my own version from old battered Export shells. I have not heard anything like these since a friend had a set of Remo Legero back in the late 90's. From what I remember the Legero left me totally underwhelmed - all boing and no body to sound.

I hope these Tama's are different. In fact I hope my Export pancake set turns out OK but I am going double headed on all the drums (12, 14, 16, 22"). I can never find a manufactured set like these with the diameters I would want.