Tama Dyna-Sync Double pedal. Love it!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Got to say, the price put me back some at $650 but my local drum shop owner asked me to try it out for free. I played it last night at an indoor club gig with my Funk/Classic Rock band and and today with my Petty band at an outdoor concert. I'm sold. I am a Speed Cobra guy. I have to say the direct drive pedal I tried in the past (an Axis) left me not feeling I had enough power. but this pedal, the result I got my immediate and powerful. I didn't really mess with the
tension at all or the adjustment because everything felt, well perfect.

Tomorrow, I'll be plunking down the cash. Oh, and I'm going to sell my SC. I still have two others, (one for my studio and one in Florida) and those will not get replaced.

67523906_10219236180562783_5442215427981705216_n.jpg

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Will be receiving mine later this week, a single version. Can’t wait.

towndog

Reaction score
I also picked up a single version last week. Haven't had much time to play with it but what little I have messed with it I like it so far..

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Another Speed Cobra user here so this interests me-- how does the feel compare to the SC Dan?

Last edited:

bleen

Reaction score
I got one last week; been using Iron Cobras since they were released and never found anything I liked more. Until now...

The Dyna-Sync can feel like my IC but has more power over the top of the beater throw. I've tried both the stock beaters that it came with and my VF VicKick beaters and they both feel better/faster than the IC. Expensive as hell but worth every penny, IMNSHO.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Add your thoughts when it arrives Halldor!
Got mine this morning. Hot damn, this thing is powerful and fast! I’ve never liked a direct drive before except the Speed King back in the day. Most if not all direct drive’s lack power IMO. This thing is super responsive, dynamic and extremely powerful. Also, a very pleasant suprise is how feathering and playing super soft feels easy for me. Quite amazing piece of gear.

The Speed Cobra has been an absolute fav of mine (I have three!) but I think it may be replaced now.

I can imagine both jazz players AND powerhouse metal players loving this pedal

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got mine this morning. Hot damn, this thing is powerful and fast! I’ve never liked a direct drive before except the Speed King back in the day. Most if not all direct drive’s lack power IMO. This thing is super responsive, dynamic and extremely powerful. Also, a very pleasant suprise is how feathering and playing super soft feels easy for me. Quite amazing piece of gear.

The Speed Cobra has been an absolute fav of mine (I have three!) but I think it may be replaced now.

I can imagine both jazz players AND powerhouse metal players loving this pedal
Damn it.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone compare the Tama with the (also new) Yamaha FP9 direct drive?

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Y'all are killing me. There's NOTHING wrong with my Iron Cobras, but you're still giving me GAS.
I hear ya! Yesterday my Speed Cobra was the best pedal I had ever tried...

....until I set up the Dyna....

:cool:

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I noticed one at my local..I have been wanting a new pedal, but I had a lower price range in mind..considering you play it as much as a snare drum, and people have no problem dropping loads of cash on snare drums, I suppose it is reasonable. This thread has convinced me to pull the plug..next week...it will be mine..oh yes..it will be mine...thanks, fellas..

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
are you all using the bottom coil spring? does it make a difference?

does it add any noise?

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I tried one and couldn't get it to feel as light as my Speed Cobra. It still felt heavy no matter what setting I adjusted. What kind of settings are you guys using? A friend of mine, who plays DW 9000 pedals (which I find to feel too heavy) loves it. It IS very responsive and powerful.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tried one and couldn't get it to feel as light as my Speed Cobra. It still felt heavy no matter what setting I adjusted. What kind of settings are you guys using? A friend of mine, who plays DW 9000 pedals (which I find to feel too heavy) loves it. It IS very responsive and powerful.
Mine is set as it came out of the box. Most settings in the middle. Spring is loose (same setting as it came out of box).

I´ve been going back and forth between the SC and the DS for testing and to me the DS feels lighter. The main difference I find is the how dynamic the DS is. It translates everything I put into it in an instant. To me it feels lighter, faster, more powerful and easier to play super soft.

The SC is light, fast and powerful yes and it feels absolutely wonderful. I just find the DS having more of all the good stuff from the SC :)

My SC´s aren´t going anywhere though.

But, the bottom line is; our tastes and needs may vary and what fits me doesn´t necessarily fit you.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been craving a new pedal, and have found myself looking hard at both the Dyna-Sync and Yamaha's new FP9. But my worry is that I'll dislike the direct drive systems (I haven't played a DD since my old Speed King days). I have friends who have told me that the power just isn't as prevalent with DD, as compared to chain and/or strap. Is this still the case with these new pedals, or has Tama (and possibly Yamaha) remedied that with these?

FWIW, my current fave is the Yamaha 8500B (strap).

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been craving a new pedal, and have found myself looking hard at both the Dyna-Sync and Yamaha's new FP9. But my worry is that I'll dislike the direct drive systems (I haven't played a DD since my old Speed King days). I have friends who have told me that the power just isn't as prevalent with DD, as compared to chain and/or strap. Is this still the case with these new pedals, or has Tama (and possibly Yamaha) remedied that with these?

FWIW, my current fave is the Yamaha 8500B (strap).
Read my response above #8.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've noticed there's a very real difference between Speed Cobra and DW users. And I've discussed this with a friend. Every time I sit down to a Speed Cobra I'm like " I CANNOT play this pedal." Too light, no throw in the beater. It doesn't produce enough sound. They're REALLY different...

Latest posts