Tama Dyna Sync Hi Hat Stand - It's landed

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Well I was wondering when they would come out with it. Man, it's pricey! Street price is $429. Think I'll stay with my Iron Cobra.

dynasynchihatstandCapture.JPG

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice find...

Agree Dan. I’ll keep my IC and my old “Swivelfoot” stands.

If I had to have it Inwould order the pedal and linkage and just swap it out....lol.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
$429 seems high for what it is. I think the Yamaha 1200 is around $100 less. Speaking of hi hat stands, Jojo Mayer mentions on his secrets pt. 2 dvd that the mark of a good hi hat stand is a floating rod. In other words, when you step down and then release the pedal the top hat should bounce freely and not stop dead. Not one of the last 3 stands I've owned functioned like that. Anybody have one that does?

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
Wow, that is pricey. Most of the new products Tama has released this year have been more expensive than I expected.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I noticed this hihat doesn’t incorporate the Leverglide feature , that would be a dealbreaker for me .

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$429 seems high for what it is. I think the Yamaha 1200 is around $100 less. Speaking of hi hat stands, Jojo Mayer mentions on his secrets pt. 2 dvd that the mark of a good hi hat stand is a floating rod. In other words, when you step down and then release the pedal the top hat should bounce freely and not stop dead. Not one of the last 3 stands I've owned functioned like that. Anybody have one that does?
Any stand with an adjustable spring should do that I think.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Hmm .. what I have now may be borked (80s DW and a Sonor 400). They are up in years. I've adjusted the springs and the rod still comes to a dead stop at full open when you lift your foot completely off the pedal. On second thought I don't think the DW has an adjustment. I never liked it in any event.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I noticed this hihat doesn’t incorporate the Leverglide feature , that would be a dealbreaker for me .
I have an older leverglide hihat and it is one gimic that actually seems to work. Seems like such an expensive hihat would have that feature.

I can think of absolutely zero reasons to justify such a high price for that hihat.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, that puts it within the same (exorbitant) price range as the Sonor 600.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Most hihats have a direct attachment to the Center rod , so when you depress the hihat it pulls directly down , this doesn’t necessarily allow for a consistent and smooth down and up action . The down action might be slower than the upward action .

The Tama Leverglide allows the action to be consistent and smooth by use of a lever connection to the down rod . I was skeptic all myself at first until I spent a couple hours about 20 years ago testing hihat actions with another drummer at one of our well stocked local shops . The Tama Leverglide consistently felt smoother and faster than any of the direct pull models .
Gibraltar’s sadly discontinued Liquidglide worked on a similar principal but utilized a dual chain . It was also very smooth and consistent .

Attachments

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
. . . Jojo Mayer mentions on his secrets pt. 2 dvd that the mark of a good hi hat stand is a floating rod. In other words, when you step down and then release the pedal the top hat should bounce freely and not stop dead.
Hmmm . . . if any of the hi-hat stands I've owned over the last fifty years have been able to do that, I wouldn't know it because that's the last type of response that I'd seek in adjustability. Of course, I'll have to experiment now to see if I can make any of my three stands do that, but it seems exactly the opposite of what I'd want. How about you?

It just seems that that kind of action would require a delicate balance of spring pressure and hi-hat top cymbal weight - ie, almost equal. That equilibrium, in turn, would seem to result in a very sluggish return action. Or so it seems.*

*Edit: I've proven myself wrong on this statement. As noted in a later post, I easily adjusted my Yamaha 600-series stand to sharply return the top cymbal to the top, stop the "clunk" sound, and sit there bouncing like a yoyo when my foot is removed.

If I can work up enough enthusiasm to experiment (doesn't look likely right now), I'll see what happens. Maybe JoJo is right. Maybe JoJo is wrong.**

**Edit: See my later post. JoJo is not wrong. I was. Duh.

GeeDeeEmm

Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Mapex still offers a "leverglide style" hat stand as far as I know. I have one, it's the 950 model, I think?

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've adjusted the springs and the rod still comes to a dead stop at full open when you lift your foot completely off the pedal.
Spring is set too tight for the weight of that top cymbal. But then again, that would be how I prefer it. I want a fast action to permit quick playing of the hats.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$429 seems high for what it is. I think the Yamaha 1200 is around $100 less. Speaking of hi hat stands, Jojo Mayer mentions on his secrets pt. 2 dvd that the mark of a good hi hat stand is a floating rod. In other words, when you step down and then release the pedal the top hat should bounce freely and not stop dead.

That's that's too much money for what it is. As for Jojo, I totally disagree.

Neilrush88

Reaction score
A buddy of mine uses one of these and I absolutely love it. Been dying to get one myself but they are expensive.
I bought it some years ago in Ebay at 1/3 of the street price, I'm from Chile so plus the shipping and some taxes, cost was 60% maybe (In latin america is much more expensive than Usa). The stand is extremely smooth and the feeling is very very light. All these years working like a new. Also I attach a holder with electronic Pad and it doesnt shake.

Latest posts